Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. My question is whether any Treo users have found a good piece of software for converting Apple's AAC files and protected AAC files to MP3's WITHOUT having to burn to disc and then re-encoding them. The problem with this method other than the time consumption is you lose all the names and info on the songs resulting in your Treo's p-tunes playlists/files as being essentially unnamed unless you enter all the info in by hand. I just got a 2GB SanDisk SD card (which works wonderfully by the way and they're getting cheaper) and ran into this problem. Will Roxio's new version of Toastr solve this conversion issue?

    Any and all help apppreciated and sorry if this post needs to be moved. I couldn't find a better place to post it.

    Peter
  2. #2  
    I was in a similar position as the majority of my music is in AAC. Rather than convert everything you could use TCMP ]TCMP[/URL]. This media player has codecs for most formats including video although I believe the AAC codec is no longer 'officially' available from the site but just google it. It's not the prettiest interface but it works beautifully. I don't have any protected AAC files but I doubt they would work. Hope this is of some help.......
  3. #3  
    yes, the program is called jhymn... works great..

    http://hymn-project.org/


    .
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info. I just downloaded JHymm and discovered that they have yet to come out with a revision that will allow it to work with iTunes 6.01 (or 6.1; whatever the current version is).

    The info on the site is interesting and the author of the software makes a very good case about the limitations of Apple's fair use limitations.

    All I want is to be able to play my iTunes purchased files on my Treo without having to go through the hassle of burning them to CD, reimporting them and then having to rename every damn file!

    Computers are supposed to simplify exactly this kind of problem Anyway, thanks and I'l end my rant. . .
  5. #5  
    I may be wrong, but I think if you create a playlist, burn it, select import as mp3, when you go to import the disc doesn't it populate the track info as long as you haven't deleted the playlist the disc was burned from? I'm not at my iMac, so I can't check right now.
  6. #6  
    you lose quality this way, since you are compressing and encoding the song twice....


    Quote Originally Posted by citymatt
    I may be wrong, but I think if you create a playlist, burn it, select import as mp3, when you go to import the disc doesn't it populate the track info as long as you haven't deleted the playlist the disc was burned from? I'm not at my iMac, so I can't check right now.
  7. #7  
    ayee... what a bummer.... I haven't run the program since I upgraded to itunes 6..... hopefully they'll have a fix soon... the programs is great, it went through my itunes library and removed the DRM with no problems, and then I could use my songs as ringers, and listen to them using aeroplayer....





    Quote Originally Posted by Petergil
    Thanks for the info. I just downloaded JHymm and discovered that they have yet to come out with a revision that will allow it to work with iTunes 6.01 (or 6.1; whatever the current version is).

    The info on the site is interesting and the author of the software makes a very good case about the limitations of Apple's fair use limitations.

    All I want is to be able to play my iTunes purchased files on my Treo without having to go through the hassle of burning them to CD, reimporting them and then having to rename every damn file!

    Computers are supposed to simplify exactly this kind of problem Anyway, thanks and I'l end my rant. . .
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by citymatt
    I may be wrong, but I think if you create a playlist, burn it, select import as mp3, when you go to import the disc doesn't it populate the track info as long as you haven't deleted the playlist the disc was burned from? I'm not at my iMac, so I can't check right now.
    Citymatt - - I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about but my experience is that when I re-import the files (which at that point are AIFF format) it has already lost all the ID tags, and when iTunes does its look up it comes up blank. If you've found another way that I don't know about, definitely post it! Thanks.
  9. #9  
    If you burn the files to a CD, then immediately rip the CD to mp3 format (do NOT remove the CD), then it retains ALL the song info. I do this all the time. Make sure you are ripping to MP3 format (not AIFF. There is somewhere where you set this beforehand, in options or something).

    Yes, you may theoretically lose sound quality, but I can't hear any difference and it works great for me.

    Oh, and it's not 'illegal' like Apple would consider JHymn to be.....
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    If you burn the files to a CD, then immediately rip the CD to mp3 format (do NOT remove the CD), then it retains ALL the song info. I do this all the time. Make sure you are ripping to MP3 format (not AIFF. There is somewhere where you set this beforehand, in options or something).

    Yes, you may theoretically lose sound quality, but I can't hear any difference and it works great for me.

    Oh, and it's not 'illegal' like Apple would consider JHymn to be.....
    I do the same thing and then delete the AAC files from my itunes so all of my music is in mp3 and is easier to move around to other devices. Another really good reason to do this if you have music in AAC format is that this is your backup. Any music you buy from itunes is downloaded just once. if your hard drive crashes...that's it; you can't re-download the songs again. the only real way to both backup your music and preserve your playlists is to make backup cds/dvds. being able to re-import them as mp3s is just the icing on the cake.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  11. #11  
    This may be a silly/basic question, but how do you rip the CD to mp3 format? Do you use itunes or some other program like nero? If you use itunes to rip the cd do you click the import button?

    Thanks!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by climber_rich
    This may be a silly/basic question, but how do you rip the CD to mp3 format? Do you use itunes or some other program like nero? If you use itunes to rip the cd do you click the import button?

    Thanks!
    Sure. you can use itunes. With itunes open. go to edit>preferences>importing. (or do ctrl + ,). Select mp3 for importing, and the bit rate for the quality you want. (i use 192 kbps). now you're good to go. whenever you click "import" with a cd in itunes, it will be ripped to mp3 format now. ipodlounge is a great resource for questions about ipods and itunes.
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/help/
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Petergil
    Citymatt - - I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about but my experience is that when I re-import the files (which at that point are AIFF format) it has already lost all the ID tags, and when iTunes does its look up it comes up blank. If you've found another way that I don't know about, definitely post it! Thanks.
    "wcarlson40: If you burn the files to a CD, then immediately rip the CD to mp3 format (do NOT remove the CD), then it retains ALL the song info."

    I just got back to this board. This is exactly what I was talking about. In iTunes go Preferences > Advanced > Importing (Here is where you will find the option to import as mp3)
  14.    #14  
    Thanks citymatt, I will try that. Usually what I've been doing is waiting till I have a large number of songs to transfer and because it burns them all on multiple CD's it doesn't give me the option not to eject the CD. However, as you stated it does the retain the song info for the final CD, so the trick is to only burn one CD's worth of music and not eject it. Any easy way to determine how many songs will fit on to a CD without making a separate playlist?

    All this just to get music on my Treo. . . . I'm obviously no longer a believer that "fair use" is fair. . .
  15. #15  
    On a 700MB cd you can get 1.2 to 1.3 hrs of music. iTunes shows this info at the bottom of the screen when you have a playlist selected.

Posting Permissions