1.    #1  
    i'm sure this has been covered but i did a search and did not find satifactory results. which is the best navigational system to get. it seems that you can get one from palm for 149 but does this have everything that you would need to install it in your phone and use it in your car.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kv5137
    i'm sure this has been covered but i did a search and did not find satifactory results. which is the best navigational system to get. it seems that you can get one from palm for 149 but does this have everything that you would need to install it in your phone and use it in your car.
    Hi, most GPS/Navigational software bundles will run you $200 and up. Check out this review:http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/10/five_treo_650_g.html
    You may find the answer you're looking for. I had the EMTAC bundle and returned it in favor of the TomTom Navigator 5 bundle. It has the new SiRF Star III chipset for better sensitivity and you can't beat TomTom's maps.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    I'm considering a GPS as well. There are a numer of things you must consider:
    1. Wired, bluetooth or integrated GPS.
    2. "Powering" considerations
    3. Mobility
    4. Software
    5. Chipset
    5. etc.

For me, having an integrated solution will work best. I want to be able to use my bluetooth headset with the GPS, and also want an audio out to have the option of playing mp3's and/or GPS prompts over the car stereo.

Palm GPS $149??
    kv5137> Don't let all the options scare you away. I think the big things you need to look at (assuming your a GPS noob) do you want wireless(more expensive) or wired. Do you need it for auto route navigation or for flight/topo/marine etc...

I'm going to assume you are looking for auto navigation, I'd recommend a bluetooth GPS with TomTom maps. You should pretty much take TomTom as a given as Mapopolis doesn't have a viable option for palm yet. If wireless isn't your stick you can get plenty of wired 'mouse' gps receivers for <60.00 on ebay.

TS
    I personally would recommend a wired solution for the Treo.

Why?

Because here in the UK, if you are caught using a phone whilst driving you will prosecuted.

I recommend Tom Tom navigator 5 (I've used it for 33,000 miles plus) and a sirfstar III wired receiver and a cradle of some kind. (I use a Seidio G2100s)

The reason I recommend Tom Tom is beause of its call handling. The latest version, update 5.201 is pretty much sorted - not perfect, but no gps is. If you receive an incoming call with ttn running, you can answer the call - transfer it to your BT carkit or headset, and ttn will then restart giving you visual directions only until you end the call, then spoken once the call has ended. But this will only work if you use a wired receiver. Tom Tom do not officially support wired receivers with the Treo, but they work just fine. I have my Seidio cradle permanently hardwired to the battery.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Mike, when you say wired I assume you mean either a wired standalone GPS receiver or an integrated GPS/cradle (i.e.from Seidio). I'm strongly considering the Seidio 4850 TomTom bundle.
    Last edited by tgoulart; 12/31/2005 at 09:46 PM.
  7.    #7  
    i use a microsoft gps streets and trips connected wired to my laptop currently. but will like to use my treo in some similar fashion. like the seido cradle which incudes the (antenna) built into the cradle