1.    #1  

I have had my Treo for over 2 months. Within the past 2weeks, I have an acute battery drain, mostly not lasting during the day and even in standby mode. I have updated to the newest firmware (Dec05) and even put in a different battery to no avail. I am not sure how to check programs running in the background. Even bluetooth is turned off.. HELP
    Alas, "Turbo Drain" is a slippery critter. My best solution is to first do a soft reset. Then try a hard reset and a re-sync to restore your data, if the soft reset does not take care of the problem. If that does'nt work, I then go to the clean install:

Momentarily finding the thread. . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=turbo+drain
    Posts #271 and #274

Clean install instructions, if necessary;

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=clean+install
    Post#2

(Some corruption or some program is "staying on" and thus draining the battery and the above soft reset, hard reset and clean install progression of fixes, all point towards clearing that problem -- with the soft reset being the least evasive and so on. . . .)

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/30/2005 at 08:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJim

I have had my Treo for over 2 months. Within the past 2weeks, I have an acute battery drain, mostly not lasting during the day and even in standby mode. I have updated to the newest firmware (Dec05) and even put in a different battery to no avail. I am not sure how to check programs running in the background. Even bluetooth is turned off.. HELP
    List all your programs for us.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  4.    #4  
    Ive done both a hard and soft reset to no avail.. Also how do i know if programs are running in the background
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJim
    Ive done both a hard and soft reset to no avail.. Also how do i know if programs are running in the background
    Does the battery drain continue after a hard reset(empty, out of box condition for the Treo) and before you hotsync?

If so -- then march it down to your carrier and get a replacement (unless Post #6 is the problem), something more than software corruption is at work then.
    Sorry, Perry.

If the hard reset does cure the problem, but a hotsync brings it back -- then do the clean install. Also, read thru that whole thread, I linked above(the one with Post #274). It contains alot of information.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/30/2005 at 12:08 PM.
    Another thing that will create significant battery drain -- is if you are in an area with little or no signal. The Treo continues to search for service (or better service) and drains the battery, just as if you were on a telephone call.

I went to camp with my 7th grade daughter last Fall and the camp was just outside most carriers service areas. The first thing we adults were told on arrival was to turn off our phones -- unless we wanted paper weights in about 4 hours. And this was just not a ploy to get us to put our technology away -- some did not listen. . . . .

Did you go somewhere new for the holidays? (In this 2 week span you indicate?)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/30/2005 at 12:09 PM.
  7.    #7  
    The only third party program I am running is Tom Tom. I have the software off. Hard reset was done and even after hotsync, battery still is draining.
    The key is: is the battery draining fast after a hard reset and BEFORE a hotsync. If so, and you are not in a low or no signal area, the unit has a hardware issue and needs replacement.

If the battery does not drain fast after the hard reset but does after the hotsync -- there is a software conflict and you need to do the clean install.

Cheers, Perry.
    perry is the battery drain king. listen to his advice
    Thanks diestarbucksdie !! But everything I know about battery drain -- I learned on this site!! I am just being the conduit.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    well done grasshopper....