Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I guess I spoke too soon?

Consider this to be a form of hazing rites to TC forums.
    I don't consider it hazing until I get a visit from "The Munk"!

[edited for spelling!]
    Last edited by RicoM; 12/30/2005 at 12:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    I don't consider it hazing until I get a visit from "The Monk"!
    He's been primarily AWOL for the last month and a half.
    This one is for you, Rob.
    Are you off chasing snowflakes?

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/30/2005 at 12:56 PM.
    My guess is that if someone cannot figure out something as simple as turning the phone on by reading the manual, they should not be trying to use a Treo 650. I don't mean to flame, but the device can be pretty complicated. Some people are just not meant to use such devices.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I don't consider it hazing until I get a visit from "The Monk"!
    That's "The Munk" ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    My guess is that if someone cannot figure out something as simple as turning the phone on by reading the manual, they should not be trying to use a Treo 650. I don't mean to flame, but the device can be pretty complicated. Some people are just not meant to use such devices.
    Well....I do have 2 engineering degrees and am working part-time on my masters degree in engineering (as well as being a licensed PE). I think I have the technical capacity to learn how work the treo ...now the time/patience to thoroughly read the UM...that's a different story.
    Frankly, I have been more enamored with the pictorial foldouts (with arrows that say look here and those cut away enlargements) that are coming with things nowadays for setup and initial install.. . . . . .

Just my speed!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/30/2005 at 01:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Fine, everyone has beat up on the guy for how to turn the phone part on and off.. Now it's my turn for the beatings.. Is there a way to actually fully shut off a Treo? As in "it's dead, Jim.." off.. Or will it always be in a state of suspended animation..

Let the beatings commence..
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    The Treo is 2 devices in one

Radio (aka Phone): We know how to turn that off by now, I hope :-)
    PDA: is off when the screen is off (but background/queued events will be on)

Thus, to turn everything off => Turn the radio off and turn the screen off by a short press of the red button.

Some things will always be on: the alarm queue (so that timed or triggered processes can happen, eg alarms, scheduled backups etc). Also, backgrounf stuff like pTunes can be playing in the background even with the Radio and the screen off.

To turn EVERYTHING off, remove the battery.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Well....I do have 2 engineering degrees and am working part-time on my masters degree in engineering (as well as being a licensed PE). I think I have the technical capacity to learn how work the treo ...now the time/patience to thoroughly read the UM...that's a different story.
    Maybe you have too much education. I've been a Chemical Engineer for 20 years with only a bachelor's degree, and I have no trouble reading the manual at all.

Just get a Nokia. No wait, they turn on and off the same way. But maybe the manual is thinner. . .

edit - I just challenged my 14 year-old son to find out how to turn my Treo 650 on and off and handed him the manual. He found it in the manual in under 20 seconds. He had never seen the manual before.

edit #2 - If you can't tell, I'm just poking fun. You are a great member of this community and we all ask stupid questions from time to time. If you search, I'm sure you will find some of mine.
    Last edited by Tonylmiller; 12/30/2005 at 09:12 PM.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12