Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I'm wondering is anyone has any experience with MMovie and the new superfast SD cards (up to 150x). I have a standard 1GB Lexar and a 512MB 32x Lexar card and neither produces decent results with MMovie, the video jumps way ahead of the audio as if the video is dropping frames like crazy (maybe recording 10 of 30 fps original) while the audio file is normal. You end up with video at 3x speed and totally out of sync with video.

With the price of 2GB 150x cards coming down, if MMovie would record proper frame rate/audio synced video on one of these superfast new cards, the MMovie application would be viable to use to record more than a few seconds of video on the Treo 600's internal memory. It also seems pretty certain that the Treo 600 and 650 will only handle a 2GB maximum size because of FAT 12/16 limitations from what I've seen on forums around the Web. Comments would be welcome.

Anyone have any experience on this one? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Try TCPMP or Lathe http://divx.ppccool.com/
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvccs
    I'm wondering is anyone has any experience with MMovie and the new superfast SD cards (up to 150x). I have a standard 1GB Lexar and a 512MB 32x Lexar card and neither produces decent results with MMovie, the video jumps way ahead of the audio as if the video is dropping frames like crazy (maybe recording 10 of 30 fps original) while the audio file is normal. You end up with video at 3x speed and totally out of sync with video.

With the price of 2GB 150x cards coming down, if MMovie would record proper frame rate/audio synced video on one of these superfast new cards, the MMovie application would be viable to use to record more than a few seconds of video on the Treo 600's internal memory. It also seems pretty certain that the Treo 600 and 650 will only handle a 2GB maximum size because of FAT 12/16 limitations from what I've seen on forums around the Web. Comments would be welcome.

Anyone have any experience on this one? Thanks.

Well...I got a chance to fiddle here...and here are the results...although I admit I was surprised at the settings needed. I used a countdown avi available via the Web at http://www.mattjfuller.com/training.htm for reference for sync and frame rates.

The frame rate recorded was 4 fps when I looked at the avi transfer.

Secondly, card speed does not make a difference....I compared a 2GB Ridata 150x with a Lexar 1GB standard speed, and no appreciable difference, despite the fact VFS benchmarking shows the Ridata card able to File Write at 2.5x the speed of the Lexar in the Treo's card slot. The overall VFSMark score for the Lexar was 236, for the Ridata 284. So much for that idea.

Now the other news...to make this work I had to use the following video and audio settings in MMovie.

The video color depth had to be set to 8 bit, and the video quality slider at the Q in "Quality", or about 25%.

Audio sampling was set for Mono, and sample rate Low. Sound Volume was set in the middle.

With those settings, I was able to record video and audio in sync directly to the card.

I tried the export to Avi function in MMovie to see if the sample remained synced, and it was. The Avi files are approximately 2.5x the size of the original files. I'm sure there are video editors out there that could combine the files outside the camera and produce better quality and faster encoding with less container size, but at least it can be done.

:45 seconds of video produced a 3.3mb .mov video file and a 488k accompanying .wav file, so expect that record times are likely to ballpark in the nature of 80-100k of audio and video per second, or somewhere around
    5-6MB per minute. On a 2GB card, that would account for 40 minutes or so of recording time, which is a helluva lot better than 40 seconds in the camera.

These are just some early test settings I tried to see what could be done. Surprisingly, the 150x card made little or no difference.

If only someone used a Divx or Xvid-type codec with a Matroska or Ogg container optimized for a high-speed card, a 2GB card could easily outlast the battery. Wishful thinking at this point I'm afraid.

I hope others try this out and see what they come up with. Good luck.