Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    And the beat goes on ...

1. Delete contents of my Backup directory on the PC

2. Hard reset

3. Hotsync back to the ID. All my PIM data (Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, Memos and pictures in RAM) are back.

4. Set up Versamail account.

5. Install FileZ

7. Install my old Blazer bookmarks.

8. Set power-off time to 1 minute, system sounds to Off, Change Blazer to open to a blank page and clear the "delete cache on exit" box.

Everything is working great. I have been treying to make this thing crash fir 1 hour. Admittedly, there is little one can do with just these applications, but, I'm trying.

9. Copy Saved and unsaved prefernces to the SD card using FileZ (Hey, one can't be too sure... Trust but backup !!!)

I'm debating what to install next: pTunes or Xpress Mail?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  2.    #2  
    The above configuration is VERY stable. Let's have some fun now!! :-)

10. Installed pTunes without the WMP integration. Turned that feature off in pTunes.

11. Installed iTunes4 and Winamp (modern) skins.

So far so good. I keep backing up the 2 preference files to SD card using FileZ.

Free Space: 20.5 M If this behaves, I'll install Datebk5 next. Then, a some more testing before the next big thing .. Xpress Mail (shudder :-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  3.    #3  
    Well, the Treo was very stable (and fast! I wonder how much effect Uninstall Manager has on speed. I am not using UM this time around...), so on to Datebk5.

12. Installed Datebk5 and my old Icons-DATEBK5.PRC file. So far so good, no surprises. Backed up the preference files using FileZ.

Free Space: 19.3M
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  4.    #4  
    Wow. This thing is incredibly stable and fast with just ROM+FileZ+pTunes+Datebk5. I need a backup software before proceeding to the next step so that I can get back to this state.

13. Installed Resco Explorer to the RAM. Now, I'm backing up and copying the 2 preference files to 2 separate directories on the card using FileZ and Explorer. Blet and suspenders.

I'm wondering whether to risk installing Xpress Mail or to proceed with (what I consider) safe stuff like 2day, 4cast, keycaps600(doomsey's), keyshades_light etc. Should I build up the Treo with these and show that it remains stable? Or make it come crashing down now with (what I consider) suspect software?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Test the suspect stuff now, while you think you have a stable, available RAM environment.
    Communications is the toughest thing we do.
    unlocked Cingular (GSM) Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghuber
    Test the suspect stuff now, while you think you have a stable, available RAM environment.
    Yeah. You are right. Xpress Mail it is, sometime tomorrow after some more torture tests.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  7.    #7  
    Ok.. here goes..

14. Installed Xpress Mail 6.5.5.296. Turned off push mail, for now. I suspect that to be contributing to crashes by mucking around with the SMS handling of the Treo 650.

Memory available: 17.1 M
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  8.    #8  
    The Treo has behaved very well. Absolutely no resets since my hard-reset + reinstalls with FileZ, pTunes, Datebk5, Resco Explorer, Xpress Mail (without push e-mail). Very fast as well. So, time to take the next step:

15. Enabled push e-mail in XpressMail. This will now trap SMS's sent to my phone by the Xpress Mail server to pull e-mails from it.

If this works, I'm going for Keycaps(doomsey). I miss that application every time I type!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I never could get the hang of KeyCaps.. I accidentally used it about 90% of the time and 10% of the time when I did use it intentionally it seemed it'd be faster to hit shift or option.

I guess you just gotta use it and get used to it.
  10.    #10  
    This thing is like a watched kettle or a car that behaves just perfectly when you take it in for repairs!

So far, I have tested the Xpress Mail push e-mail under the following circumstances:

Datebk5 running, screen on
    Datebk5 running, screen off
    pTunes playing, screen on
    pTunes playing, screnn off
    pTunes playing, Datebk5 running, screen on
    pTunes playing, datebk5 running, screen off

No crashes. Preference files just fine.

I do notice that the e-mail pull is quicker with the screen off (maybe Xpress Mail waits till it senses lack of activity). And that the Treo is a little slow to wake up (10 sec) when I wake it up just after it has pulled in the e-mail. But, I can live with that.

I'll give it a few more days (like after I get back to work and the e-mails are flying :-) before proceeding to more installs.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  11.    #11  
    The stability of my Treo is driving me craazy, Jerry, CRAZZYY.
    (That's me in my best Banya impression)..

So far, it has passed all the torture tests (PTunes playing in the background, me surfing the net in Blazer, Xpress Mail downloading messages in the background .. all at the same time!).

Sure, Xpress Mail is doing some funny network access. It slows down the Treo for 10-20 seconds, even after downloading the messages is finished. It also is sending a few spurts of data (I can tell from the buzzing in my computer speakers). Lots of others have complained about this elsewhere. But, no resets and no lost preferences. Even Versamail is behaving.

So, a good backup and the next install. I am forcing myself to do install one application at a time .. to identify the probable cause of resets.

16. Do a full backup in Resco Explorer. If the Treo craps out in the future, I am restoring at least this one.

17. Install Keycaps600 (Doomsey's version).

Bye.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  12.    #12  
    Another day, no crashes or any abnormal behaviour of any kind. So, on goes the application installs

18. Installed Keyshades Light

That brings the major applications on the Treo to the following list:

pTunes + a few skins
    Datebk5
    Resco Explorer
    Xpress Mail
    Keycaps600 (non-hede)
    Keyshades Light
    Versamail
    Blazer

The future list of installs will be (probably in this sequence):

2day
    4cast
    Handmark Express
    DTG
    eWallet
    BBVFS
    CardExport
    MovieGuide
    Snap
    Notify Me
    RadioState
    VolumeCare
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  13.    #13  
    Had my first reset while opening an e-mail downloaed into Versamail. #*377 says a "Fatal Exceprion" happened while running <unknown application>.

still, all my settings and Versmail information was intact. After 1/2 days of normal behaviour, I decided to push ahead with additional installs. It is unlikely that a simple, amall application like Keyshades_Light, which does not monitor anything in the background, would cause resets..

19. Upgraded pTunes to ver 3.1.3

20. Installed 2day ver 1.41 (205)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  14.    #14  
    I'm still at it.

21. Installed DTG 8. It chokes on a 8K PDF (complaining that there is not enough memory when I have 16.8 M RAM and 10986 K dbCache available).

22. Installed PalmPDF. It opens the file just fine. Dataviz should be ashamed of releasing ver 8 and using PDF as a selling point to upgrade to it!!

With DTG and PalmPDF moved to card, I have 16.3 M ram free.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  15.    #15  
    PalmPDF got deleted from the Treo mysteriously! I reinstalled it.

23. Repaired associations with Resco Explorer

24. Installed PalmPDF 1.0rc2. Moved (most of) it to the SD card.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  16.    #16  
    Trouble in paradise :-(

This morning my memo database was gone. Resco Backup would not back up the file (it was excluded because of Exclusive Open, by which application, I don't know..). On reset, 4cast applicatin was missing from RAM !! The prc was gone, but the cities and a couple of other databases were there. Eeerie.

I restored from last night and now things seem OK. I'll be staying this way for a few days before proceeding (I don't know in which direction: forward or back? !!!)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  17.    #17  
    25. Backup to card. Installed eWallet (on 1/9/06)

26. Backup to card. Installed Cardexport (on 1/12/06)

27. Backup to card. Installed Express 2.0 on 1/14/06. Could not move the channels to the card. Press-n-hold on the channels did not show a "move to card" option. Restored from the backup immediately before Express install. E-mailed Handmark about this.

28. Backup to card. Installed Leonard Maltin Movie Guide 2006. 14.9 M free.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Aprasad:

I really appreciate this thread because this is what I have been wanting to do for months and I have not known how to do so. I am going to start following your path. I am suspicous taht most of my problems came from Snappermail which I purchased after recommendations on TreoCentral. I am wondering if I need to dump Snappermail for something else. Also, should I install Mail first or last?
  19.    #19  
    Install the most suspect software first. Then it is easy to identify as the source of problems. And it has no excuses because it is working in a simple clean environment. Also, if it craps out, you have less to lose.

People here like Chatter for IMAP e-mail. I use POP e-mail and Versamail is fine for my needs. I use Xpress Mail (included by Cingular) for corporate (Exchange/Outlook) e-mails.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  20.    #20  
    29. Installed all the Handmark Express channels (except the main application and Maps, which went to RAM) to the SD card directly via Quickinstall. Now I could see the "Move to RAM" on tap-n-hold. Everything is working as normal, with channels on the card.

30. Installed Beiks Dictionary+Thesaurus. Most of it on the SD card. 12.1 M free

That should conclude all the applications I intend to install in RAM. I own some more, like VolumeCare, Butler, Uninstall Manager, BBVFS but I am trying to use as few applications as possible. It's still quite a list!!

I have about a dozen games installed from before to the SD card. The next steps are to try and run them from there. They'll typically create a few temporary files in RAM (to store the game settings) and add entries in the Preferences files. And, they can always crash the Treo and cause corruption of RAM files. So, the adventure continues.

But, I can always restore to the current state, which I consider to be quite stable. I am doing daily full backups using Resco Explorer.
    Last edited by aprasad; 01/22/2006 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast