1.    #1  
    I let my 650 run dead yesterday. (Yes I also posted this in another thread) It shut down to where the phone turned off and the the PDA no longer responded to the hard buttons. I pulled the battery out, and it fired up after reset, told me the battery was too low, and did a little shutdown countdown, so I figured everything was fine. I plugged it back in when I got home, figuring no harm done, as my 600 could sit for days, too dead to fire up, and still keep its data, and the 650 should be even better with its new file system.

Not so. I lost everything in Versamail (had to resync to account settings and saved email back). I lost all of my hard button assignments. I lost my registration data, settings, and passwords on my SplashData and Hobbyist Software (Butler and Technician) products (although thankfully not my SplashData DBs). It forgot how to reconnect to the internet, and I had to connect from Prefs/Network to get Web to logon. Most of my system prefs were reset back to stock, although I didn't seem to lose much data, beside the email and a couple of game saves.

What did I do wrong? Is this a known bug? How can I prevent this from happening again?
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
  2.    #2  
    Arghghhh. Continued. I also lost all custom settings in a few more programs, (including 2day and Keyguardtime) to where they are almost totally reset back to stock as installed, and now I can't hotsync, because the Treo claims there isn't enough room in memory, despite the fact that I haven't added anything new.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Any custom ROMS? You should have not lost anything unless you had to do a hard reset. Connecting to the internet (you are using the standard GSM connections, that comes preloaded with your SIM card) should be part of your basic connections even after hard reset?

I will test this out and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtt
    What did I do wrong? Is this a known bug? How can I prevent this from happening again?
    quite simple... dont let ur battery run dead next time
    Maybe so, but I thought NVFS wasn't supposed to let this happen in case someone DOES let the battery die.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    That was my impression to.

MTT: how much free memory do you have in it right now?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

7.    #7  
    Free memory: I had about 1.5MB free, I think I imagine I may have some kind of bloat problem with a cache or something, because I had only about 512kB free after the crash and 1 sync, and it wouldn't sync again. I deleted a program, and synced.

@Lady Treo... that is exactly why I am so frusterated. Not only did the NVFS apparently fail me, but it seemed to fail in a way that prevented a hotsync from restoring stuff (ie deleting registrations in purchased software)

@darksoul... not exactly a choice, I was on the road, nowhere near a charger. If I only sat at my desk near the cradle all day, I don't think I would need a Treo in hte first place.

Here is some more scary stuff: some of the stuff that was deleted was my password that locks the Treo, and my owners page that would tell someone who to return it too. Meanwhile, SplashMoney retained its data, yet lost its password, allowing anyone to view possibly sensitive data! (SplashID, with passwords and CC and ID info, stayed secure and kept its password) This presents an absolutly worst case scenario- what if it was lost and not found until the battery had gone dead. Someone finding it wouldn't be able to contact you easily because the owner's page was deleted, yet would be able to browse your sensitive info.

I don't have any custom ROM, my Treo is an Alltel version (CDMA)
    MTT
    You lost your [un]saved preferences, simple.. Happens often with bad programs crashing when it runs out of dbcache space.

Has nothing to do with the dead battery, although it's possible the battery dying caused a soft reset which made the prefs databases disapear.

Restore them from backup, everything will be back to normal.
    After all is said and done here, I would try to free up some memory. I like to run with at least 5mb free.

Do you have photos and videos in internal memory? Move them to the SD card. . . .

Are you using Documents to Go? Try this:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/29/2005 at 08:46 AM.
  10.    #10  
    @gtwo... yeah I agree about the memory space, I need to run with more free. This thing has such miniscule memory.

I was trying to figure out what to move. That Docs to Go link may be a big help, I do use it.

Thanks.

EDIT. I ran the dataviz tool, it saved me about 3MB, I transferred a few pics to the SD, and I am now running 4.9MB free. Hopefully no more probs.

Now I just need to re-register all my programs.
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 01/26/2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Update:
    MTT
    That should help you out alot(memory). I hope it's not the NVFS . Thats one of the reasons theTreo is so appealing. I have 7 mgs free, I am going to run my battery down today to see what happens.
    Palm m105>Visor Prizm>Tungsten T>Clie Nx70v>Tungsten T3>Treo 600>Clie UX50>Tungsten T5>Treo 650>Tungsten TX>Treo 650 agian!!!
    @gtwo... yeah I agree about the memory space, I need to run with more free. This thing has such miniscule memory.

I was trying to figure out what to move. That Docs to Go link may be a big help, I do use it.

Thanks.

EDIT. I ran the dataviz tool, it saved me about 3MB, I transferred a few pics to the SD, and I am now running 4.9MB free. Hopefully no more probs.

Now I just need to re-register all my programs.

Glad it helped!

Remember to "exit" a file before moving out of Docs To Go. If you exit a file -- the DTG program that is necessary to open the file is returned to the SD card, thus continuing to save internal memory. If you just leave the file open and jump to another app, the DTG program will remain in internal memory and you will have to use the daatviz tool again to clear internal memory space . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    @darksoul... not exactly a choice, I was on the road, nowhere near a charger. If I only sat at my desk near the cradle all day, I don't think I would need a Treo in hte first place.

I have stopped into a Sprint Store for a quick recharge at their display when I left my wall charger home on what became an extended business trip and had no other option. . . . .

As well, you may wish to consider the extended life 2200 mAh batteries. . . . . mine get's me through the day with plenty of life to spare. . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=2200mAh

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=2200+mAh

Cheers, Perry.