Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After another reset that deleted my saved prefernces, I decided to throw in the towel and start over. This thread will be my Treo Central Log (T-Clog .. get it?) of my experiences as I slowly build-up my Treo. Hopefully, others can learn some from me and provide some advice to me as well.

1. I made sure that I had good backup (Hotsync and Resco Explorer). I moved the contents of my <hotsync ID>\Backup directory on the PC.

2. Perform a zero-out reset. It was tricky, but I managed to do this all by myself, without resorting to holding the stylus in the mouth!

3. Hotsync under a new ID (I called it Junk). My Treo is now clean as a whistle.

4. Run the latest Cingular ROM installer. Ran like a charm. After a couple of resets (part of the process), I did a hard reset and Hotsynced back to my original ID. I have my PIM data (Calendar, Tasks, Memos and Contacts) back. Yay!

5. Install Uninstall Manager 3.03

6. Install Xpressmail.prc This is the new Personal Edition (6.5.5.296) that is downloadable from the Xpress Mail web interface. It connects to the mothership and sets up my Outlook information. So far so good.

7. Install Datebk5 and my original Icons-Datebk5.prc. Everything looks good.

8. Install pTunes 3.1.1 and i-Tunes skin.

9. Setting up my ISP e-mail account in Versamail .. Treo resets!!! !@@#$#$%. Luckily, the preferences are still OK. *#377 says that a Fatal Exception ocurred in XpressMail. I chalk it up to fate and move on.

10. Install FileZ

11. Sync over my Blazer bookmarks.

I plan to use the Treo this way for at least a day to see if she behaves.

Notes:

The power-off bug is fixed. I have the power-off set to 3 minutes. The Treo is behaving accordingly. This is even after I have phone calls longer than 30 seconds (resulting in automatic screen blanking).

Menu->Info shows Icons-Datebk5 size to be 0
    Menu->Delete shows the size to be 85K, as does FileZ The file is behaving correctly, as I have my correct icons displayed in Datebk5.

Keyclicks mute completely if the System volume is set to OFF

Free space: 18.5M of 23.7M
    I can't check dbCache etc until I install some utilities in my next go-around.

See Ya!!
    Last edited by aprasad; 12/28/2005 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Any idea what caused you to lose your save preferences? Keep us posted.
    Would love to see that zero out without using the "stylus in the death grip in your teeth" trick! How did you accomplish that?!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Any idea what caused you to lose your save preferences? Keep us posted.
    Unfortunately, I do not. I went a week without such reset after locking Xpress Mail (using Resco Locker) and I thought that I was in the clear. Then suddenly, yesterday, it happened again. Thus my efforts to make a clean start.

In most cases, the resets involved either switching to Blazer or leaving Blazer for another program directly (without going through the Applications Launcher. Blazer manages the memory aggressively in the latest Cingular firmware. So I suspect a bug in the latest Cingular ROM update.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_meezers
    Would love to see that zero out without using the "stylus in the death grip in your teeth" trick! How did you accomplish that?!
    Let me think.. All buttons with the left hand: Pinky on the Hotsync button, middle finger on the Up button, forefinger on the power button. Right hand holds the stylus and does the poking.

It took a few tries. I got the colorful bootloader screen a few times. That is NOT a zero-out reset.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Man, I tried to do the zero out reset at least 10 times one day and finally gave up. I kept getting the screen with the color rainbow. Palm has made the procedure too difficult in my opinion.
  7.    #7  
    T-Clog continues:

12. I insert my SD card. This has a number of programs and some mp3 files on it. The Applications launcher shows the programs on the card.. but I carefully avoid running any of these. My main goal is to have access to the card to periodically copy my preference files over (using FileZ).

13. Launch blazer, visit a couple of sites (WUnderground radar etc) with lots of graphics.

14. Switching from Blazer to Versamail (via the hard buttons.. defined L to R as Phone, Datebk5, Xpress Mail, Power and with the alt- Blazer, Contacts, Versamail, Power) I get a reset !@#@$%#^#.

#*377 says Fatal Exception in Versamail. Preferences are intact. I decide to keep going.

15. I delete my account information in Versamail and re-create my ISP account in it. Just in case the crash was caused by or resulted in some corruption.

I hope the 2 crashes (Xpress Mail yesterday and Versamail today) don't repeat.

Presently, the applications IN RAM are:

Uninstall Manager, Xpress Mail, Datebk5, Ptunes, FileZ
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  8.    #8  
    This is killing me !!

16. I use FileZ to look at the preference files. I copy them over to a directory on the SD card using FileZ. Quit FileZ. My preference files are nuked @#$%#^#. I copy them back from the card to RAM and soft-reset.

Something must have tried to access the files while I had them open. The ONLY culprits I can think of are UM and Xpress Mail. Nothing else is designed to be doing anything in the background!!

That's it! This evening, I'm doing another hard reset and starting over.. This time without UM. I'll install Xpress Mail, Datebk5, and FileZ only and see how it goes.

See Ya!

It's sad to see a great device get reduced (temporarily, I hope!!) to just these programs.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I think the problem lies in hotsyncing after the hard reset. If you really want to start over, just move your PIM info back but don't hotsync anything else after a hard reset.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  10.    #10  
    I don't. I remove everything from the Backup folder before hotsyncing after a hard or zero-out reset. That way, only my PIM data gets restored on that Hotsync.

With that as the baseline, I re-install all applications fresh. I MUST have my e-mails working (Xpress Mail for office and Versamail for home ISP), and Datebk5 for calendar and tasks. This time, since I'll be at home all weekend, I'll forego even pTunes.

The Treo better be stable with just Datebk5 and FileZ as 3rd party programs in RAM !!!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    You're looking in all the wrong places.. DateBk5 is stable, Filez doesn't do anything just stored in ram. It's Versamail and/or Xpress Mail you're seeing problems with, I doubt additional software would cause them to act worse.

I dunno what to suggest though, maybe I think maybe Chatter is going to do Exchange stuff here in the near future.
  12.    #12  
    I want to nail down the cause, especially of resets that destroy the preference files.

I suspect Xpress Mail. Versamail does not do anything in the background (I don't have any scheduled updates enabled in it). Or it could be a bug in Blazer or the Operating System (in the latest Cingular ROM).

If I build up the Treo slowly, testing with a few applications at a time, maybe I'll be able to find the cause and workarounds.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Unfortunately, I do not. I went a week without such reset after locking Xpress Mail (using Resco Locker) and I thought that I was in the clear. Then suddenly, yesterday, it happened again. Thus my efforts to make a clean start.

In most cases, the resets involved either switching to Blazer or leaving Blazer for another program directly (without going through the Applications Launcher. Blazer manages the memory aggressively in the latest Cingular firmware. So I suspect a bug in the latest Cingular ROM update.
    Do you have the Blazer cache set to empty cache on exit? If you do, this might be why there's a reset if you go directly to another app.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Do you have the Blazer cache set to empty cache on exit? If you do, this might be why there's a reset if you go directly to another app.
    I do have it set that way. It's easy enough to change .. but I doubt that will be the solution. That's too easy!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I don't think that refers to dbcache but rather the internal ram cache on the 'hidden' drive cache file only Blazer uses.
  16.    #16  
    Yes, I believe this is used by Blazer just like IE/Firefox to store recent pages and images. It comes out of the 23 megs we have available for our programs.

Still, maybe shneor is right.. Blazer may have a bug in that routine. Who knows.. worth a try.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    For the record, I'm using Versamail and not having any problems. In fact, after the latest CNG update, my Treo is performing the best ever.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I am experiencing the same zapping of my pref's, and it seems to coincide with the Datebk5 usage. It happens 95% with me either as I enter into it or am leaving the program. I have run dbscan and it says that my database in intact.

Just more food for thought.
  19.    #19  
    I ran dbscan yesterday (for no reason .. just to check the databases) It found nothing wrong. This morning, I notice that my memo database is opened in an exclusive mode by some application. Resco Explorer would not back that file (it skipped it).

After a reset, all my memos were gone and an application (4cast) was deleted from my RAM!! Very spooky.

I restored from yesterday's backup and seem to be OK, for now.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  20.    #20  
    My adventures are continued in another thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102869
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM