Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    I can't believe it, my earpiece on phone calls has this faint crackling noise when the party on the other end is speaking, it almost sounds like the speaker is blown out. Even at low volume levels it does this. I am so pissed, I have no patience for this ****, I refuse to start swapping phones with Sprint until I get to one that works properly.

    Is this something that VC might correct? Anyone else ever had this problem, a quick search didn't seem to bring up much. I love the phone but I can't deal with this crackling.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I can't believe it, my earpiece on phone calls has this faint crackling noise when the party on the other end is speaking, it almost sounds like the speaker is blown out. Even at low volume levels it does this. I am so pissed, I have no patience for this ****, I refuse to start swapping phones with Sprint until I get to one that works properly.

    Is this something that VC might correct? Anyone else ever had this problem, a quick search didn't seem to bring up much. I love the phone but I can't deal with this crackling.
    If your speaker is truly having a hardware problem, VC will probably not help. But you may be suffering from the early stages of a headset jack hardware failure. This *may* explain the crackling/static you may be hearing. Try plugging/unplugging a wired headset to see if this clears up the problem. Even before doing this, look into the headset jack and see if you can see anything in there that shouldn't be there.

    Jeff
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    If your speaker is truly having a hardware problem, VC will probably not help. But you may be suffering from the early stages of a headset jack hardware failure. This *may* explain the crackling/static you may be hearing. Try plugging/unplugging a wired headset to see if this clears up the problem. Even before doing this, look into the headset jack and see if you can see anything in there that shouldn't be there.

    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff I think your right about the headset jack thing, I got my headset today and did as you suggested and it seems to have cleared it up. I think I will still try VC as my volume is ok in quiet setting but on the streets of NYC it can become hard to hear at the highest setting.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Thanks Jeff I think your right about the headset jack thing, I got my headset today and did as you suggested and it seems to have cleared it up. I think I will still try VC as my volume is ok in quiet setting but on the streets of NYC it can become hard to hear at the highest setting.
    Thank you for the update! I am glad I could help and also happy that you are now finding value from VolumeCare!

    Jeff
  5. jagz's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    #5  
    The crackling sounds like what happens when I blow the driver on cheap earbuds I use at the gym.

    Hopefully you won't have any more problems now that you've replaced the headset
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jagz
    The crackling sounds like what happens when I blow the driver on cheap earbuds I use at the gym.

    Hopefully you won't have any more problems now that you've replaced the headset
    From what I can tell, it was not replacing the headset that cured the problem. It was solved by simply plugging and unplugging the headset. When the headset jack starts to fail, it can cause some static to be heard in the handset. Plugging/unplugging can help a failing jack and remove the crackling/static.

    Jeff
  7.    #7  
    Well the plugging and unplugging was a sort lived solution. The jack is definetly failing, I am also having problems with plugging in a headset, it is very tempermental. I wonder if the jack can be replaced?
  8. PSM
    PSM is offline
    PSM's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    #8  
    Yeah, my headset jack is failing too. It started one day when I used it on the train while watching movies. Later that day I couldn't make any calls, or so it seemed. What it was is that the phone thought the headset was plugged in, and had muted the mic and speaker. Putting in the headset and wiggling it around a bit got it to cut in an out from the headset to the built-in hardware. Eventually I found a spot where the phone's hardware stayed working. When I went to go return it to the Verizon store the next day I couldn't reproduce the problem, so I didn't take it in. Just waiting for it to happen again, or get worse.

    I've heard all about the tempermental audio jack on these phones, but I was surprised it happened to me, as I almost never use the headset, and the day it started failing I was holding the phone in my hand the whole time, so there's no way it got bent in my pocket or something.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM
    Yeah, my headset jack is failing too. It started one day when I used it on the train while watching movies. Later that day I couldn't make any calls, or so it seemed. What it was is that the phone thought the headset was plugged in, and had muted the mic and speaker. Putting in the headset and wiggling it around a bit got it to cut in an out from the headset to the built-in hardware. Eventually I found a spot where the phone's hardware stayed working. When I went to go return it to the Verizon store the next day I couldn't reproduce the problem, so I didn't take it in. Just waiting for it to happen again, or get worse.

    I've heard all about the tempermental audio jack on these phones, but I was surprised it happened to me, as I almost never use the headset, and the day it started failing I was holding the phone in my hand the whole time, so there's no way it got bent in my pocket or something.
    I will have a software solution available to help restore Treo's that have failed headset jacks later this week!

    Jeff
  10. jshamoon's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I will have a software solution available to help restore Treo's that have failed headset jacks later this week!

    Jeff
    How is this possible if the problem is a hardware issue?
  11. PSM
    PSM is offline
    PSM's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jshamoon
    How is this possible if the problem is a hardware issue?
    I'm just guessing, but maybe preventing the system from turning "on" the headset, thus not fixing the headset, but restoring function to the built-in hardware. I'd like this as a backup in case my headset jack goes wacky and won't come back.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I will have a software solution available to help restore Treo's that have failed headset jacks later this week!

    Jeff

    Tell us more Jeff...I think your exploring a much needed solution as even if I get another Treo the jack is going to fail again and by the looks of the 700w they have changed nothing when it comes to the jack, even it's positioning.

    Quote Originally Posted by PSM
    I'm just guessing, but maybe preventing the system from turning "on" the headset, thus not fixing the headset, but restoring function to the built-in hardware. I'd like this as a backup in case my headset jack goes wacky and won't come back.

    I think that is only half the problem.
  13. #13  
    I have one PalmOne headset with gold plating on the plug contact rings. It's absolutely quiet.

    I also bought another cheap headset on eBay and it came with no gold on the plug.
    It crackles a lot.

    So it might be a a cheap, dirty or worn jack.
  14. kallcron's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #14  
    I've started having the same problem this week. Crackling in my earpiece on my phone and I don't even use the headset jack at all. Please help.

    Thanks
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by kallcron
    I've started having the same problem this week. Crackling in my earpiece on my phone and I don't even use the headset jack at all. Please help.

    Thanks
    I have heard of the jacks failing even without use. Don't know how this happens but apparently it does happen. Maybe shock to the device, debris from pockets, etc..... Try looking into the jack and see if you see anything that shouldn't be there. Then plug a headset into your Treo and see if it clears up the problem.

    Jeff
  16. kallcron's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #16  
    I've tried all the above and no good. I've also tried hard reset and reflashing rom. No good.

    Thanks for the help.
    Kevin
  17. kallcron's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #17  
    btt
  18. #18  
    I too have a crackling earpiece in the phone (not an external headphone). Sounds like a blown speaker.

    I have plugged/unplugged the headphone numerous times with no help.

    Funny thing was that I got this phone as a refurb that replaced my older phone which had the dreaded HALRadio.c (or whatever it was) crash problem. No crashes since, but now I have crackling at high volume.

    -Clint

Posting Permissions