1.    #1  
    Ok, so I finally upgraded to the 650, and I have to say besides bluetooth and a removeable battery, i'm not impressed.

Why does the screen dim to almost nothing when your on a call? This is driving me nuts.

In the calender, why can't i start the week on a monday and not sunday, the 600 could do it.

In contacts, why can't I list names, first than last like on the 600? And if I have a first name and a company name listed for a specific contact, and I goto look for it by the company, it won't show up.

Any ideas? I bought Agendus Pro, but where that fixes some of my 650 annoyances, others are present.
    How can the screen resolution not impress you?

Having the screen dim (especially on a long call) is a good thing right?

Can't help on the calendar ?

Contacts issue has been discussed before.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

The calendar in the 600 was a version created for Handspring by Pimlico Software (DateBk5). You can get the same functions plus more in DateBk5.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I just upgraded to the 650 too. I crashed it 3 times in the first minute of my life with it. Tried to run AIM from my 600's SD card.

It's obviously much more powerful then the 600. The screen is beautiful, the processor is very fast, and the media apps are nice. However, it doesn't feel as much as a classic Palm as the 600 does. Neither does the 650 have the 600's "snappy-ness." It takes a second to load up after hitting the red button.

I don't mind the dimming thing, and I did notice a different datebook. Maybe its the fact that its my first Palm that I bought from Palm and not Handspring, and it feels more like a Palm then a Handspring. I.E. no DateBk4.

I'm not used to it yet. But I watched a movie on it the other day, and it has EDGE! Its as functional as a video iPod. I'll get used to NTFS, its delays, as so on. For all that power, and still running Palm OS, how can you really complain?
    -- Go Illini!
    Quote Originally Posted by originog

In the calender, why can't i start the week on a monday and not sunday, the 600 could do it.
    go to prefs, then click formats, there will be a drop down menu for "week starts", click monday
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by darksoul
    go to prefs, then click formats, there will be a drop down menu for "week starts", click monday
    Yeah, that works on the 600 not the 650. I'm going to try a few programs to see if my problems will be fixed. Overall I'm happy with the 650, just wish it still had the little things to make my life more productive with fewer key strokes. I know I'll get used to it as I use it.
    Yeah, that works on the 600 not the 650. I'm going to try a few programs to see if my problems will be fixed. Overall I'm happy with the 650, just wish it still had the little things to make my life more productive with fewer key strokes. I know I'll get used to it as I use it.
    Perhaps this is a difference between the cdma and the gsm models. I have a sprint cdma 650, and the aforementioned preference setting does allow me to have the week start on Monday.

The other issues are pretty easily solved but they either require work-arounds or the purchase of additional software. Regarding the screen dimming during a phone call, just move the 5-way and the screen should light up again. Regarding looking up contacts, I would really encourage you to try out "Takephone." It just makes looking up contacts on the treo (and dialing them,emailing them etc) so much easier.
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 12/29/2005 at 05:23 PM.
    Changing the start day of the week works on GSM too. Go to the main applications screen and select Prefs. That's the place where you make the change-not from within the calendar application.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Why does the screen dim to almost nothing when your on a call? This is driving me nuts.
    Because everyone complained the blinding keyboard lights and screen were driving them nuts while on a call. Try StopDim http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-858.html?StopDim
    Lots to like and not like when up/downgrading to to 650 from a 600. I opted to vote for the health of my eyes and get the high-res screen, in spite of all the 650's negatives. But I was sure we'd have seen a replacement by now.

One thing nearly driving me nuts is the loss of the unique ability to use text in the phone fields to identify the phone number- ie: "tech support," "customer service," "sister's mobile," etc. All PalmOS devices and Treos up to the T600 worked well this way, and something Palm did on the T650 broke this - you only get a blank field.

If anyone knows how to get this feature back - even with a third-party app - I'd be forever grateful.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    Lots to like and not like when up/downgrading to to 650 from a 600. I opted to vote for the health of my eyes and get the high-res screen, in spite of all the 650's negatives. But I was sure we'd have seen a replacement by now.

One thing nearly driving me nuts is the loss of the unique ability to use text in the phone fields to identify the phone number- ie: "tech support," "customer service," "sister's mobile," etc. All PalmOS devices and Treos up to the T600 worked well this way, and something Palm did on the T650 broke this - you only get a blank field.

If anyone knows how to get this feature back - even with a third-party app - I'd be forever grateful.
    Since its a direct question - TAKEphONE allows you to add descriptive text to phone fields - seperated by a ':' (e.g. "212-222-3333 :Main office")
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    I'm not sure what you mean by "you only get a blank field", but I can enter a phone number and additional text into any of the "home", "mobile", "work", "other", etc. fields. For example, I can enter "(555) 555-1212 directory assist" into the "Home" field for a contact. I have to press the blue shift button to enter letters. I'm using an Unlocked GSM fw1.28/sw1.13/palmos 5.4.7, what about you?