Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Just wondering why instead of bluetooth, they used 2.4Ghz or even 900Mhz for headsets ?? the Plantronics CS50 900Mhz headset I use at work now, has an advertised range of 300 Feet, I have personally taken it about 75 feet or so. The range would be pretty great even if it had 1/4 the current transmitting power of what is in a cordless phone. Just thinking. God Bless.
    Hey, that sounds pretty good.
    Supposedly you can't listen to MP3 on BT.
    Can you listen to MP3's with your wireless headset?
    I know I can't with my BT headset.
    Just call me Berd.
    Bluetooth uses 2.4Ghz. Bluetooth was develope to use very very little power and that's why it has such a short range... about 1 milliwatt. For comparison, cell phone calls use up to 3 watts. I'm sure those coreless phone use more power then that to achieve those long ranges.

More details about why Bluetooth was developed here:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/bluetooth2.htm
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paqmaster
    Bluetooth uses 2.4Ghz. Bluetooth was develope to use very very little power and that's why it has such a short range... about 1 milliwatt. For comparison, cell phone calls use up to 3 watts. I'm sure those coreless phone use more power then that to achieve those long ranges.

More details about why Bluetooth was developed here:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/bluetooth2.htm

I do not think our cell phones now use or transmit at the full 3 watts of power like they did in the early 90's with the brick phone and bag phones. I think the ones we have now are less than 1 watt or like 600 milliwatts as we have more cell towers, where-as back in the day the regular analog system with fewer towers, one needed more transmitting power for the phones. Hope this helps. God Bless.
    You're probably right... but sometimes it seems like my Treo is using up more then 3 watts when I'm in a low signal area the way my battery drains!