1.    #1  
    GOOD DAY ALL, THIS IS A REPOSTING, AS I THINK THE THREAD I POSTED IT TO WAS SO OLD THAT IT IS MORE OR LESS A DEAD THREAD, SO HERE WE GO:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI ALL,

I am coming into this late in the game. I have a media windows hp computer and I have a very old tivo, in fact it is the 1st model they sold and I have it for years.

It (my Tivo), has been dying slowly as it fails to download tv info for days on end, this time it went 8 days without downloading the tv "guide" as I keep getting an error report.

Every time I threaten to buy a new one, it ends up working again.

Well 4 days ago, after 8 days on refusing to download info, (I have reset it to download as many as 15 to 20 times a day and no sucess), so I finally ordered a new tivo. It was long over due, my remote control play button, is held in place with a piece of paper covered with a zillion layers of scotch tape, the remote goes on and off by itself, and often stays"on" for hours on end, so I should save a fortune on battery costs.

Lo and behold, the old one has downloaded the guide info properly for for days.

I did get a great deal though, an 80 machine for $99, however the machine is refurbished. (however, as I said before, I have this one from the day they came out)! It has a rebate of $150, I did not ask for about "lifetime" fees and will when the mahcine arrives.

A new remote I think is $39 and it costs $20 to call Phillips to tech support, so it would have costs $59 to attempt to fix up my old machine.

My guess is the hard drive is slowly dying! Keep in mind that Tivo to go does not even work with the orginal "dinos" that we all ran to buy when it 1st came out. In fact, I did get it for free as years ago, compuseve had a $00 rebate and I could apply it to anything at Curcuit City, so I have it for free at least 6 or so years!

I have not tried to play anything from my Media HP desktop on my treo 650, as my treo 600 just died and I just got a treo 650.

My tivo is in another room from my comuter, so I assume I will have to run a wire to the computer to convert files, shoud I wish to convert files on my computer and then transfer to my treo. However the "tivo" room is my bedroom and actually is behind my home office with my desk top computer. So if wires have to be run it is very easy, as I ran router wires that way when routers first came out, (my laptop is in the same bedroom as the tivo).

So now I will have the option for both media windows in the office and tivo in the bedroom, with the option of a wire to the desktop to convert tivo files or to my laptop to convert tivo files.

Ok so after this very long winded story, which works best tivo to go or media hp to convert to my treo on a sd card. No matter which you recommend, I will need to get extra software for a converstion, if so what programs are need to convert the files and how many will I be able to get on an sd card, (they are so cheap now that a one gig card is just a few bucks. (I already have a 1/2 gig with exra software, my music and a backupbuddy copy of all of my treo software).

Any suggestiosn of which to is best and how to proceed?

Thanks and take care, Jay.

PS I hope what ever holiday if any that you have partaken in that is was "the best". MY feeling is that mine was noisy and fattening, and thank god they do not ome every day!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Seems like you may have answered your question already. Just a matter of which option to option to convert your tivo to your treo.

Don't you want to do the most important thing first, save your tivo data before it completely stops working?

First off, if your desktop has more space and faster processor and disk, connect your Tivo there and save your tivo files.

As far as conversion from there to your Treo, I leave that to the other users more experience on this matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    So now I will have the option for both media windows in the office and tivo in the bedroom, with the option of a wire to the desktop to convert tivo files or to my laptop to convert tivo files.

Ok so after this very long winded story, which works best tivo to go or media hp to convert to my treo on a sd card. No matter which you recommend, I will need to get extra software for a converstion, if so what programs are need to convert the files and how many will I be able to get on an sd card, (they are so cheap now that a one gig card is just a few bucks. (I already have a 1/2 gig with exra software, my music and a backupbuddy copy of all of my treo software).

Any suggestiosn of which to is best and how to proceed?
  3.    #3  
    hi thanks for the info, I already have transfered almost all data to new tivo which came today, it is much smaller and about 1/3 lighter than my old tivo. I called tivo to ask, and I have been using tivo just over 6 years ago. So that made me the "oldest customer" the techie ever spoke to! So far, so good, take care and thanks again, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hi Jay,
    Very sorry to hear about your TiVo. Sounds like you got a very good deal on a refurb though.

I've used TiVo to go to transfer TiVo content to my winxp laptop, and then converted it for my treo. It's pretty easy and the converted files look and play great with TCPMP on my 650. I can't speak to how this process compares to Windows Media (sorry).

This conversion process was recently discussed on tivocommunity.com in this thread. User dsb11's instructions are probably the easiest to follow (bottom of thread). The software you'll need is listed in his post.

If you decide to go this route, don't hesitate to post back (or PM me) if questions arise...
    Good luck, and enjoy your new TiVo!