1.    #1  
    After months of an EXTREMELY stable Sprint Treo 650 (sure there were a few resets every now and again)...yesterday my Treo HARD REST all by itself!
    I use Botzam back up and most everything restored properly, but for some strange reason Chatter didn't. I had to reset my 4 email accounts.
    Has anyone ever had their Treo just outright hard reset on them?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    never - did you see it happen or just found it that way ?
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    never - did you see it happen or just found it that way ?
    Are you suggesting that someone might have played a very, very bad prank on firstbeat?

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Maybe a bit of the internal flash ram went tits up, corrupting what was stored there.

Maybe Sunspots... solar flares... that sort of thing.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    Maybe a bit of the internal flash ram went tits up, corrupting what was stored there.

Maybe Sunspots... solar flares... that sort of thing.

Are you serious here? Is this something I should complain to Sprint about?
    I'm really serious about this problem.
    #*377 then dial will tell you why.
    Never heard of one hard reseting itself.... soft resets all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop
    #*377 then dial will tell you why.
    Never heard of one hard reseting itself.... soft resets all the time.
    Don't think that will tell you anything if it was a hard reset...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I had a hard reset a couple months ago and lost everything. Of course it was before I was using Backup Buddy. The point is that it can happen (and hasn't since).
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    How are y'all determing that a hard reset occured as opposed to a soft reset? I'm with ExtraOrdinaryJo on this one. I don't think you can tell the difference unless you are the one initiating the reset.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    How are y'all determing that a hard reset occured as opposed to a soft reset? I'm with ExtraOrdinaryJo on this one. I don't think you can tell the difference unless you are the one initiating the reset.
    They are two very different things. The soft reset leaves your apps and data pretty much intact, while a hard reset wipes everything out and puts the Treo back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. (A zero out hard reset is a hard reset on steroids.) You may not know you had a soft reset, but a hard reset is hard to miss since all of your data would be gone. I think what ExtraOrdinaryJo was pointing out was that a hard reset also wipes out the error and crash logs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble
    They are two very different things. The soft reset leaves your apps and data pretty much intact, while a hard reset wipes everything out and puts the Treo back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. (A zero out hard reset is a hard reset on steroids.) You may not know you had a soft reset, but a hard reset is hard to miss since all of your data would be gone. I think what ExtraOrdinaryJo was pointing out was that a hard reset also wipes out the error and crash logs.
    You got it.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    FWIW, I found myself learning all I could about "spontaneous hard resets" a couple of years ago. Happened with my Sony TH55. Bottom-line: no rhyme or reason, and it happens with virtually any Palm device. That taught me to backup faithfully twice daily, so I'm prepared if this weird goblin ever strikes the Treo.
  13. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    It's happened to me a couple times. Once while I was using it, and once while I was asleep. The restart chime woke me up, and as I opened my eyes grumbling about the damn thing resetting itself again, I found it booted up to the initial language selection screen. I do frequent backups so I didn't lose anything, but it's not exactly confidence-inspiring.

I'm not a programmer, but my guess is that some background process causes a reset (which happens a lot), and then during the reset process, due to the completely screwed-up nature of the NVFS, some extremely important file gets trashed, which leaves the Treo no way to recover except to start over.

I don't have an answer for you, except to tell you that you're not the only one this happens to. I find the best way to avoid losing data with resets is to have fewer resets period. Seems a high percentage of resets result in some corruption from the NVFS, so reducing the number of resets is the safest way. How to do that is the question. I currently have very few, and when I do have them it's usually obvious what's causing them. I avoid apps that cause frequent resets, and avoid having too many background apps in general. Right now I don't use any software to help the problem like dbCache or UDMH, and I currently have very few resets, so I'm at a loss to explain why it's much better than it used to be. Maybe it's my current firmware (Verizon 1.04). Don't know if Sprint's is the same, but you might want to make sure you're using the latest.
    Maybe a list your software would start the help process, so we can help pinpoint. Since you are using CDMA, no SIM card tray to find fault.
    My Treo has done this to me once, hasnt happenned agian so I never looked into why it did it.
    Palm m105>Visor Prizm>Tungsten T>Clie Nx70v>Tungsten T3>Treo 600>Clie UX50>Tungsten T5>Treo 650>Tungsten TX>Treo 650 agian!!!