1.    #1  
    From http://www.voicesignal.com/support/t...index.php3#s06
    ==============
    "Q. I cannot see any Voice Dial software on my phone. What did I do wrong? After HotSyncing Voice Dial from the PC to my handset, I went to the phone's "All" menu, clicked on the Voice Dial down-arrow icon. It said it was uncompressing then the icon disappeared.

A. This problem will be fixed in the next software release. However, until it is available, please use the following procedure to work around the problem:

1. HotSync Voice Dial again to your handset, but DO NOT install it yet.
    2. Turn-off the Treo650 handset.
    3. Remove the battery.
    4. Locate the reset buttonhole on the back of the handset (next to the battery holder), and, using a pin, paper clip, or stylus press and release the reset button.
    5. This should free up some memory. It is NOT a hard reset so no information will be lost.
    6. Insert the battery.
    7. After the Treo650 is activated, to to the "All" menu and NOW install the Voice Dial application.
    8. Launch the Voice Dial application. It should work.
    ===========

Mt question: What is this process of poking th reset hole without the battery? What "extra" memory does that free up?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  2.    #2  
    BTW, they use this answer for many situations where they need more memory. I would have figured that was the dbCache that they were running out of.. in which case, a regular soft reset (from removing the battery) would have been sufficient.

The poking-the-reset-hole must be doing something else in addition to a soft reset.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I suspect they meant to write "remove battery cover." I don't recall seeing anything about removing the battery and pressing the reset button doing anything different, reset-wise.

OTOH, when I first got my Treo 650, I mistakenly started to use it while I (mistakenly) thought it was plugged into A/C and charging the battery.

In reality, I hadn't attached the power cord to the Hotsync cable (Treo was not attached to PC yet), and I hadn't inserted the battery. But the device ran for around 5-10 minutes on ????? (I can't imagine a capacitor lasting that long).

--
    Mike
    It can cause you to go blind, and hair shall sprout forth from your palms. Tread lightly...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5. lua
    actually, we leave that kind of practice (rigor mortis poking) to the coroner. anyone else doing that is considered necrophiliac.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    I suspect they meant to write "remove battery cover." I don't recall seeing anything about removing the battery and pressing the reset button doing anything different, reset-wise.

OTOH, when I first got my Treo 650, I mistakenly started to use it while I (mistakenly) thought it was plugged into A/C and charging the battery.

In reality, I hadn't attached the power cord to the Hotsync cable (Treo was not attached to PC yet), and I hadn't inserted the battery. But the device ran for around 5-10 minutes on ????? (I can't imagine a capacitor lasting that long).
    I don't know about that.

"Remove the battery ... Insert the battery ..."

Sounds pretty specific and different from removing the cover.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    It can cause you to go blind, and hair shall sprout forth from your palms. Tread lightly...
    Too late for that now. I can tread with abandon.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad

Mt question: What is this process of poking th reset hole without the battery? What "extra" memory does that free up?
    Well I would say it is a little known and shocking situation. Removing the battery before poking around for that little reset hole (especially in the dark) is eliminating the potential for electrocution.

Most likely there have been a few Treo users found smoldering on the floor clutching their Treos.

That's why I never use that little reset hole in the back. I use the reset button on the bottom tool bar in Zlauncher. Because I can't find my heavy electrical linemans gloves.

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I don't know about that.

"Remove the battery ... Insert the battery ..."

Sounds pretty specific and different from removing the cover.
    Yes, but with such specific instructions they don't even mention removing the battery cover? I would think step three would have been that step (four being remove battery--and nothing involving reset hole).

Have you asked them what they think this accomplishes? It seems rather pointless to use the reset hole when you've already removed the battery, clearing dbcache. For kicks (not the perverted kind ) I just did it--and the result was no different than just removing the battery (e.g., it wasn't a warm reset).

--
    Mike