Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As a person who lived most of his life before computers came of age I find the bugs and quirks associated with the Treo unacceptable. Go ahead and file this post in the RANT category, but my fingers are on a roll and I am going to vent...

When you go to buy one of these things you are promised the world. When you use them however you find that just like the real world this thing has problems.

1) Bluetooth. I can get my PC to recognize my Treo 650 via Bluetooth, but my Treo cannot see my PC. I have tried several of the suggestions to no avail.

2) My Treo likes to seize up tighter than a drum sometimes when I get an incoming phone call. I will not realize it for hours sometimes. I will go to use my Treo and see the screen showing that I have an incoming call. I have two choices... Answer or Hang Up. They really aren't choices though because they are not selectable since my Treo just has them burning into my screen with no way to click them or even go to another screen. No buttons have any functionality at that point nor does my touch screen. I have no idea how to reboot it other than just to take the battery out and start over. While it is seized up like that I cannot receive any phone calls either so my phone is for all practical purposes turned off.

3) My Versa Mail worked great for a few days. I could receive and send e-mails to my heart's content. Now I can only receive e-mail though because when I try to send one I get the old "Relaying Denied 550 5.7.1" error message. Nothing I have tried will fix that either.

I have searched the forums and tried this and that, but nothing works. Even if it did work it pisses me off that I would have to go through all of these patchwork bandaid fixes in the first place. In time I am sure most of these bugs will be worked out, but for the money I spent on this thing I am not very impressed.

And while I am here...

4) Volume. The volume totally sucks on this phone. I had to purchase an aftermarket program to fix it (VolumeCare).

5) No LED indicator to tell you that you have an alert (voice mail, text message, etc.)??? I had to purchase Butler to get that functionality.

6) Of all of the cell phones I have owned only a Samsung I had at one time had worse reception.

What other pesky problems await me for my top of the line device?

The Treo is bleeding edge technology and you have to enjoy the challenges it throws your way. It reminds me of the good old MS-DOS days when you had to know stuff to make a computer work. Unfortunately, with the popularity of handheld devices growing by leaps and bounds, it is only a matter of time before the Treo too is dumbed down to a mere appliance.
    It sounds like you knew about some of these problems either prior to buying or shortly thereafter. Are you within your 14 day trial period?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by eafenyes
    The Treo is bleeding edge technology and you have to enjoy the challenges it throws your way. It reminds me of the good old MS-DOS days when you had to know stuff to make a computer work. Unfortunately, with the popularity of handheld devices growing by leaps and bounds, it is only a matter of time before the Treo too is dumbed down to a mere appliance.

You will NEVER hear a Treo salesman say that. That's my point. They market this thing over and above what it can reliably do in my opinion. I am sure there are people that have none of the troubles I am having, but I consider them damned lucky.
    Just to add another rant while I am here...

7) I have my home voicemail setup with a speed dial button. I have the pause and other digits stored in the EXTRA DIGITS function. The speed dial works great to dial my home voice mail number, but when I push the EXTRA DIGITS button I have success about 20% of the time. The phone dials the numbers, but I usually here my voice mail computer voice say something like "I'm sorry you are having trouble...". I usually just have to punch in the numbers manually. I have never had this trouble with any other cell phone or home phone before so I have to blame this on the Treo as well.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    It sounds like you knew about some of these problems either prior to buying or shortly thereafter. Are you within your 14 day trial period?
    I have had my phone for about 3 months. I knew of none of these problems before purchasing the phone. I was told it was the wonderphone and could do it all.
    Maybe I'm being cynical, but how many newer posters within the last 2 weeks or so came here to either yell about the Treo or claim they found Treo killers?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    sell it...you lack the problem solving skills to take advantage of the treo. Get a nokia and a planner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan4
    I have had my phone for about 3 months. I knew of none of these problems before purchasing the phone. I was told it was the wonderphone and could do it all.
    Fair enough, but when did you start having these problems? Just after the 3 months? Have you gone back to your carrier and explained what has happened.

I will try to be helpful:

1. BT (Can't help you there...former 600 user)

2. If the 650 is freezing on you with incoming calls, I would take it to get tested.

3. Dump Versamail. Go with chatter. Set it up and be done with it. Loved that program!

(The rest of these, you must have known within the first 14 days, and you either have to use a 3rd party app or suck it up.)

4. Volume. The volume totally sucks on this phone. I had to purchase an aftermarket program to fix it (VolumeCare).<--See, you found out from TC.

5. No LED indicator to tell you that you have an alert (voice mail, text message, etc.)??? I had to purchase Butler to get that functionality.

6. Of all of the cell phones I have owned only a Samsung I had at one time had worse reception. <--This one you should have known after the first couple of hours.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Maybe I'm being cynical, but how many newer posters within the last 2 weeks or so came here to either yell about the Treo or claim they found Treo killers?
    You're just cynical

Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    sell it...you lack the problem solving skills to take advantage of the treo. Get a nokia and a planner.
    I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Welcome to the club. The Treo 650 is genuinely a "piece of crap". The only decent thing is the screen. I can't wait for my contract to expire, so I can go back to Nokia.
    ~* Peace
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    The Treo is still in its "we nerds put up with its ineptitude and quirks for it is our hobby" stage. There is no question the device is simply not ready for Prime Time, but if you put yourself in the proud position of "pioneers get all the arrows" and see yourself as an innovator who will put up with horrible hardware, resets, countless hours of installing and debugging setups and so on, and welcome this trouble, you will be rewarded with the knowledge that you are a pioneer, that you are learning, and with yet another reset.

I don't care about resets and problems. My mindset is that the device is now my hobby, and the rare week that it does not give me a reset is a sad week. I love its quirks. Really, what fun is it to pick up the phone at home? It's boring cause it has been debugged for 100 years.

Fun is not boring. It's crashing and trying to get over it.

I went to MIT for 6 years, and the motto is the Institute Screw. They sell little Gold Screws you can wear on your nerd tee shirt. Well who do you think designed the Treo if not some MIT type engineers.

Welcome to the world of technology. If you wanna be early, get ready for your little gold pin.
    Last edited by mgauss; 12/27/2005 at 11:37 PM. Reason: correction
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Sorry I pissed in your cornflakes on behalf of your Treo. If you think one should rely on problem solving skills to solve the problems with a $500.00 phone then you and I will just have to agree to disagree. My point is that for the amount of money these things cost they should perform better - plain and simple. I am far from being poor and far from being uneducated and my problems solving skills are not deficient. The point is that I should not have to solve many of these problems with a phone that is advertised to do what it does.
    Last edited by Titan4; 12/27/2005 at 11:45 PM.
    Sorry I pissed in your cornflakes on behalf of your Treo. If you think one should rely on problem solving skills to solve the problems with a $500.00 phone then you and I will just have to agree to disagree. My point is that for the amont of money these things cost they should perform better - plain and simple. I am far from being poor and far from being uneducated and my problems solving skills are not deficient. The point is that I should not have to solve many of these problems with a phone that is advertised to do what it does.
    dance my puppet
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    The Treo is still in its "we nerds put up with its ineptitude and quirks for it is our hobby" stage. There is no question the device is simply not ready for Prime Time, but if you put yourself in the proud position of "pioneers get all the arrows" and see yourself as an innovator who will put up with horrible hardware, resets, countless hours of installing and debugging setups and so on, and welcome this trouble, you will be rewarded with the knowledge that you are a pioneer, that you are learning, and with yet another reset.

I don't care about resets and problems. My mindset is that the device is now my hobby, and the rare week that it does not give me a reset is a sad week. I love its quirks. Really, what fun is it to pick up the phone at home? It's boring cause it has been debugged for 100 years.

Fun is not boring. It's crashing and trying to get over it.

I went to MIT for 6 years, and the motto is the Institute Screw. They sell little Gold Screws you can wear on your nerd tee shirt. Well who do you think designed the Treo if not some MIT type engineers.

Welcome to the world of technology. If you wanna be early, get ready for your little gold pin.
    I agree totally with your assessment about technology. I have been an engineer at Cape Canaveral since 1984. Perhaps that is why I have such a low tolerance for poor performance. I am very familiar with debugging, regression testing, etc. on new technology. One day they will get the Treo debugged and this will be distant memory. In the mean time I will just throw out my rants when I feel that mood come on!
    I agree totally with your assessment about technology. I have been an engineer at Cape Canaveral since 1984. Perhaps that is why I have such a low tolerance for poor performance. I am very familiar with debugging, regression testing, etc. on new technology. One day they will get the Treo debugged and this will be distant memory. In the mean time I will just throw out my rants when I feel that mood come on!
    It's been out for a year...I doubt it will get much better. Your treo sounds like it's got problems, complain to your carrier and have them replace it.

Otherwise you will have to live with what you have...cause it's not likely to get any better.

17.    #17  
    Fair enough, but when did you start having these problems? Just after the 3 months? Have you gone back to your carrier and explained what has happened.

I will try to be helpful:

1. BT (Can't help you there...former 600 user)

2. If the 650 is freezing on you with incoming calls, I would take it to get tested.

3. Dump Versamail. Go with chatter. Set it up and be done with it. Loved that program!

(The rest of these, you must have known within the first 14 days, and you either have to use a 3rd party app or suck it up.)

4. Volume. The volume totally sucks on this phone. I had to purchase an aftermarket program to fix it (VolumeCare).<--See, you found out from TC.

5. No LED indicator to tell you that you have an alert (voice mail, text message, etc.)??? I had to purchase Butler to get that functionality.

6. Of all of the cell phones I have owned only a Samsung I had at one time had worse reception. <--This one you should have known after the first couple of hours.
    Let's just say that the Versamail thing was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back in terms of motivating me to list my rants. I have been around long enough to know that anything new will have its problems. That is why it took me so much time to finally see enough of them and force me over the edge to post. I patiently lived with just about all of my rants, but when I had enough rants I became vocal about it. No biggie really. A Treo is not a lifeline for me or anything, but at the same time I like to get what I pay for.

Peace
    ....... If you think one should rely on problem solving skills to solve the problems with a $500.00 phone then you and I will just have to agree to disagree. My point is that for the amount of money these things cost they should perform better - plain and simple............
    EXACTLY I had my first freeze up today, have had SD card recognition issues from day one (had it a month now) where I have to wait 20 - 40 seconds for it to turn on and then maybe it sees the card, maybe not. Just unacceptable for a mass marketed device.
    1) Bluetooth. I can get my PC to recognize my Treo 650 via Bluetooth, but my Treo cannot see my PC. I have tried several of the suggestions to no avail.
    What exactly are you trying to do here? I've noticed that my PC is not discoverable by default, so I will need to enable that before my Treo can see my PC. However, another question, what are you trying to accomplish by having your treo see your PC?

2) My Treo likes to seize up tighter than a drum...
    Are you running the latest firmware on your Treo? What other Palm apps do you have installed besides the default ones installed?

3) My Versa Mail worked great for a few days. I could receive and send e-mails to my heart's content. Now I can only receive e-mail though because when I try to send one I get the old "Relaying Denied 550 5.7.1" error message. Nothing I have tried will fix that either.
    This sounds like your outgoing mail server no longer allows being used as a relay. It could be something as simple as enabling authentication. Try this:
    VersaMail > Accounts > Account Setup > (highlight the account) > Edit... > Next > Next > (verify outgoing mail server) > Next > Advanced > Next > Make sure Use authentication is checked, and make sure you have a valid username/password.

4) Volume. The volume totally sucks on this phone. I had to purchase an aftermarket program to fix it (VolumeCare).
    I ended up going the bluetooth route and getting a Plantronics 510. The gain on the volume is much better than the Treo by default. I find the Plantronics too loud for me sometimes, that I need to turn it down.

5) No LED indicator to tell you that you have an alert (voice mail, text message, etc.)??? I had to purchase Butler to get that functionality.

6) Of all of the cell phones I have owned only a Samsung I had at one time had worse reception.
    Sorry. Can't help here.
    I agree! The 650 is a piece of crap. I switched from the 600 and had it for coming to a year now. Since then, I've had to replace it (with a refurbished model, not brand new!) as the phone just went "DEAD" all of a sudden. The no. of resets sometimes drive you crazy!! The only decent thing about it is the screen and the camera quality (for such a low-res hardware).

Seeing the O2 Atom coming out is really tempting. If I'm not using Apple computers, (I hate Windows) I would definitely think of dumping the treo for something else!!

My patience is definitely running out!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast