Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Some people got lucky and some people don't Guess I am the lucky one since my treo never fail on me yet. Sure I have a lot of resets. I have come from SE P900 which has really stable OS. But I really like my treo 650. I have a lot of problems and I keep checking on TC and I tried to fix as much as I can. I spent a lot of times playing with it. Even I spent a lot of times with it, it still have a lot of problems. I don't mind though. Now after I spent all the time, install and uninstall, reformat a lot of times and now I get my treo 650 clean and the way I want. I don't have almost none resets. I am not a heavy user but I constantly using it. The phone is not perfect but it's still the best phone out there till now. Your phone seems like a defective one. Contact to palm and exchange it.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan4
    I agree totally with your assessment about technology. I have been an engineer at Cape Canaveral since 1984. Perhaps that is why I have such a low tolerance for poor performance. I am very familiar with debugging, regression testing, etc. on new technology. One day ....
    One day when the space shuttle doesn't start disintegrating into thin air. (sorry, can't help it.)
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Maybe I'm being cynical, but how many newer posters within the last 2 weeks or so came here to either yell about the Treo or claim they found Treo killers?
    Maybe they are onto something!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    One day when the space shuttle doesn't start disintegrating into thin air. (sorry, can't help it.)
    I have never worked a day on the space shuttle program.
    Which one did you worked on?

Anyway, if your Treo does not work to your satisfaction, return it or sell it. You need not tolerate such problems.
  6.    #26  
    [QUOTE=lawong]What exactly are you trying to do here? I've noticed that my PC is not discoverable by default, so I will need to enable that before my Treo can see my PC. However, another question, what are you trying to accomplish by having your treo see your PC?
    ==> Primarily I would like to Hotsync without the cable. I have gone through every possible menu on both my Treo and the Bluetooth control panel of my PC. I have not given up hope as one poster here recommended a particular type of transceiver that I have not tried yet.

Are you running the latest firmware on your Treo? What other Palm apps do you have installed besides the default ones installed?
    ==> Firmware is the latest and "greatest". I have no other Palm apps other than default. The only things I have downloaded are Volumecare and Butler.

This sounds like your outgoing mail server no longer allows being used as a relay. It could be something as simple as enabling authentication. Try this:
    VersaMail > Accounts > Account Setup > (highlight the account) > Edit... > Next > Next > (verify outgoing mail server) > Next > Advanced > Next > Make sure Use authentication is checked, and make sure you have a valid username/password.
    ==> Been there done that. No settings have changed since the time it worked and the time it quit working. I have re-entered them and have even tried going through the Sprint server, but nothing works.

I ended up going the bluetooth route and getting a Plantronics 510. The gain on the volume is much better than the Treo by default. I find the Plantronics too loud for me sometimes, that I need to turn it down.
    ==> You had to spend more money and have a 2nd device to carry around to overcome a basic thing like volume.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Which one did you worked on?

Anyway, if your Treo does not work to your satisfaction, return it or sell it. You need not tolerate such problems.
    Titan 34D, Titan 4, Commercial Titan, Trident 1, and Trident 2
  8.    #28  
    Just a couple of days ago I sent a picturemail to two recipients. After the message was sent my phone decided to reboot on its own and afterwards it had deleted every single text message (incoming and outgoing) that was present in my phone. Wiped them completely out just by sending a picturemail from a picture I took moments earlier with the Treo.
    Maybe they are onto something!
    I believe you're a legit poster with legit complaints.

But some other people make me wonder. Some came on here just to plug other devices or to down the Treo, and that was all they contributed. I was wondering why the sudden increase in Treo "trolls".
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Just a couple of days ago I sent a picturemail to two recipients. After the message was sent my phone decided to reboot on its own and afterwards it had deleted every single text message (incoming and outgoing) that was present in my phone. Wiped them completely out just by sending a picturemail from a picture I took moments earlier with the Treo.
    I have to agree with some of the others. If your phone causes this many problems, maybe get rid of it before you really get stressed out.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ...my phone decided to reboot on its own and afterwards it had deleted every single text message (incoming and outgoing) that was present in my phone. Wiped them completely out just by sending a picturemail from a picture I took moments earlier with the Treo.
    Aren't messages backed up during hotsync ? When was your last hotsync, and did you read the manual on doing a restore of data (or look here) ?

I get a little tired of folks who buy an expensive, high-perfromance device and expect it to run itself. This is really no different than any other technology out there.

1. make sure you have the latest OS release, aka firmware.
    2. don't load it up with untested 3rd party apps that create instability.
    3. use it for a few weeks and if you don't like it, return it.
    4. if it is outside the return period and in pretty good shape, sell it on ebay - you migh actually make more than you paid for it - then buy another annoying hi-tech phone or a simple phone, but move on.

My biggest problem was trying to hotsync and go when I first got it - didn't read the manual - big no no. Now with the latest firmware it is doing great.

Finally, I think there migh be a bad batch of Treos out there, and until they are all cleaned up, some folks will have a bad experience - no differen than the iPod....

Wasted thread IMO. He doesnt want solutions, just to **** on the Treo

Suggestion: CLOSE THIS THREAD and any others like it. if you have problems and want help fine, but this is not the **** on Treo forum
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
  13.    #33  
    Not trying to rejuvenate a post after it has been closed, but I could not let a couple of comments go undefended.

pabo: as stated in the same thread my firmware is current. I hotsync every couple of days. Yes - I read the restore info in the manual. No - I do not think messages are backed up by Hotsync. I cannot find them anyway. I do not expect the Treo to run itself as you say, but I do expect it to be far less troublesome.

Franko515: Despite what my post looked like I DO want solutions. I would agree with you had that been my first post, but it wasn't. I have posted several times before with many of the same issues looking for answers. Not just on Treo Central, but two or three other sites as well under the same screen name. I have no agenda to badmouth a product for the sake of badmouthing it. I feel that my concerns were and are legitimate, but admit that the last couple of issues I had with my Treo pushed my "complain" button. The Treo is going to be my phone for a long time to come since it has many outstanding features that I have come to love and can't be without. This was the only post on any Treo forum where I laid out my complaints. Posting complaints is generally far from my nature.

ronbo2000: I realize that you closed the original thread and will respect that from here on out. Admittedly I find it odd though because several posters in that thread personally attacked my character and/or technical saavy and yet for some reason that seems acceptable. That was my last post on pointing out what I consider shortcomings of an otherwise awesome device and will keep future posts to the type of posts I made that preceded that one. A search will show that I have always genuinely looked for help here.
    Last edited by Titan4; 12/28/2005 at 01:05 PM.
    <merged and reopened>
    We are all users here except for some that found the device unsatisfactory. While I agree that the 650 came out the door with issues, we come here to find solutions like you've stated.

However, the thread started to decline instead of exchange of ideas. I am re-openning this thread to keep the ideas going as you've indicated you want to continue that way.
    Sorry I pissed in your cornflakes on behalf of your Treo. If you think one should rely on problem solving skills to solve the problems with a $500.00 phone then you and I will just have to agree to disagree. My point is that for the amount of money these things cost they should perform better - plain and simple. I am far from being poor and far from being uneducated and my problems solving skills are not deficient. The point is that I should not have to solve many of these problems with a phone that is advertised to do what it does.
    What?? You want TRUTH IN ADVERTISING?? HA HA! That is a good one. Florida is the capital of misleading advertising (IMO)!! California is just behind Florida too!

I guess cellular phone salesmen tend to be "into" the latest gear because they are genuinely interested and, incidentally, the latest gear costs the most. There is not likely a giant conspiracy. The world today has a generous amount of hype to be filtered and digested.

Cellular technology is revolutionizing the way we do work and the way we all think about work. The younger you are, the more willing to make those investments to capitalize on cellular technology (not money, ... TIME!)

Incidentally, the PC is the most over engineered piece of crap technology ever foisted on us. Watch for a resurgence of APPLE as the Apple Mac platform is the perfect example of Computing Nirvana and the IPOD is advertising this fact to the next generation of PC buyers. I bet Titan4 is a Mac user! How can he/she tolerate the wintel system if he/she is that impatient with Treo??
    I recommend posting each of your issues in a separate thread and working them out. For example, your Versamail problem looks like you need to fix something on your outgoing server. Bellsouth let me relay for a while, then I started getting errors like you.

Second, if your phone hangs wile receiving a call, hard reset and see ifit still happens. It is either hardware (get a new phone) or some sofrware that you have installed.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott
    I bet Titan4 is a Mac user! How can he/she tolerate the wintel system if he/she is that impatient with Treo??
    Why is it that because I have had more than an expected amount of trouble with the Treo that the assumption is that I am just not up to speed with technology? Impatient with the Treo??? I am not asking it to do flips or anything. I am asking it to do what it is hyped up to do. For the record - I have never owned a Mac. I grew up with Pong, Atari, Commodore Vic 20, DOS, Windows, etc., but never a Mac user.
    Just get a different phone and stop crying already. It isn't rocket science. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I recommend posting each of your issues in a separate thread and working them out.
    I think this is a better idea (or post your issue in a thread already started about that issue if applicable.)

Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Just get a different phone and stop crying already. It isn't rocket science. LOL
    I don't think this is helpful at all...especially after Ronbo closed the thread because the "thread started to decline instead of exchange of ideas" and then took the extra step of reopening it.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

7) I have my home voicemail setup with a speed dial button. I have the pause and other digits stored in the EXTRA DIGITS function. The speed dial works great to dial my home voice mail number, but when I push the EXTRA DIGITS button I have success about 20% of the time. The phone dials the numbers, but I usually here my voice mail computer voice say something like "I'm sorry you are having trouble...". I usually just have to punch in the numbers manually. I have never had this trouble with any other cell phone or home phone before so I have to blame this on the Treo as well.
    Wait a minute... Am I reading this correctly? When trying to dial extra numbers (through the "extra numbers" function) during a call, you're actually pressing a button where you've assigned the numbers? 'Cause if this is the case, you're going about it wrong, and would lead me to believe that you're doing other things (or looking at them) incorrectly.

You also haven't show WHICH firmware you have, but instead write "the latest and greatest". That may or may not be true. You might THINK you have the latest, but until you list what you have, then no one will know for sure.

You discussed your VersaMail crapping out on you -- but then said that you didn't do anything different to cause the issue, and re-entered the info the same exact way to no avail. Did you consider that the way in which you entered the info initially was never the best way, and that by re-entering it the same way you can't solve the issue? I had the same issue as you initially, but then I changed the incoming and outgoing server info, and now everything is working perfectly. Sounds like you have NOT done this.

I don't agree that you MUST accept that something like this is going to have problems and that you have to deal with them. But, to assume that it can't possibly have problems is just silly. What I think you need to do is determine what you can and can't put up with. Would you sell a Rolls Royce because it had a squeak in it somewhere, thinking that an expensive car shouldn't have ANY squeaks? Or, would you try to find and do away with the squeak? I'd do that latter. Maybe you wouldn't.

What I think people (including me) balk at here is folks who are too ready to turn their Treos in (sometimes for new ones) based on problems that have already been solved here. You can either be one of those people who think "this phone shouldn't have these problems" and be done with it, or you can see if you can sort through your problems so that you don't have them anymore. Sounds like you might be in the first camp.

Don't misunderstand my "tone" here. I'm not trying to be belittling or sarcastic. I think you simply need to decide what you want to see happen with your Treo. Either see if you can solve the problems, or don't. (And if you solve problems that you're having that are due to user "error", well, then you learned something. )

-Kirk
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast