1.    #1  
    I got the Seidio cradle with TomTOm for xmas. There was a note in the box that said due to tomom's screwup, my software didn't come with the Palm installer. There was a link to TomTOm to download.

The link went to v5.12 (aug05). And since reading the forum i see thre's a Dec05 update, so i'll download that. however i don't think this has to do with my problems.

So my problem is with the maps. When i install the software, i choose palm and when i'm done it says hotsync to load the maps. Well, i hotsync and there are no maps to be found on my SD card. I just get this ArmRead: Could Not Open File error message.

So I installed again choosing to dump the maps to a specific location on my HD. Exactly where on the SD card do these maps need to go? If i manually copy them to the SD card, maybe that'll work. I just need the location and folder names.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareastank
    Exactly where on the SD card do these maps need to go? If i manually copy them to the SD card, maybe that'll work. I just need the location and folder names.
    I had no problem with the TT5 setup.

TT creates two folder on your SD card...

/TomTom which stores prefernces and the app and /name for the mapset-Map which stores the mapset you specified when installing.

It took a bit of time to hot-sync the mapset to the card, but after that it worked perfectly.
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    I would suggest loading the 5.12 (Aug 05) update and not the 5.20 (Dec 05) update. With 5.20 you cannot navigate from the TT Contacts program and it may also give you some dbcache crashes. I saw no benefits from 5.20 and went back to 5.12. Also, 5.20 has only been released for the UK and does not appear on the US site.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    My only problem I had with TT5 was it would give me the arm error when ever I loaded TT5, that was fixed with the upgrade to 5.20 which works for me now!

I did not try 5.12 but you should try it first.

As far as the maps go, I loaded them on the SD card. But I have an SD card reader combo, so when the software loads it will let you select the SD card as an install point and it loads a lot faster then hotsync ......... way faster!!!

Since I load large e-books, music and movies on my card I need the card reader.
    The UK 5.20 version installed without problems and is working fine for me, including the contacts navigator. In fact, I couldn't even get US 5.12 to install properly. I did get an insufficient dBcache error once, but after a soft reset, I was back in business. I recall that a poster in another thread said that he was told by TT that this is a known issue and will be fixed in the next release.

I posted a TT tech support question regarding US 5.12 vs. UK 5.20 a couple of weeks ago, but it usually takes them a while to answer e-mail, so I'll post their response when I get it.

If you haven't done so already, I would definitely recommend getting an SD card reader for your PC. The TT maps installer will install directly to an SD card via the reader, which is the fastest and easiest approach. It also makes loading music and other media much faster.
    Dave
    I had exactly the same problems but seem to have found a resolution.

Here is a step-by-step of what I did.

I successfully installed the application to the internal memory using HotSync. I then tried installing the maps from the 2nd CD using HotSync. HotSync just kept freezing at the end. I tried launching Navigator nonetheless and got the ArmRead error described above.
    So I ended up formatting my SD card & renaming it, and installed the maps onto my SD card using a Palm app called Card Export that mounts the installed SD card as a drive on your PC. The same could be done using a card reader. In the CD installer after choosing what map to install you have the option to install to a Palm handheld (which forces you to HotSync) or the option to install to an "Other Location (Advanced)". Choose the latter option. From here you can either install straight to the storage card or to a folder on your PC and manually copy over. Both work well.
    However when I launched Navigator I still got the ArmRead error. I tried reinstalling just the app to Internal memory, soft resetting etc but nothing worked. Then I read about the UK update to version 5.2. I downloaded navupd521.exe and ran. I installs the update on your PC and then asks you to HotSync. Before I did I made sure to disable "install to card" (using Custom in HotSync manager). Not sure if this matters but I did anyway.
    After the HotSync Navigator worked perfectly.
    I am curious as to why I had to update to get Navigator to work. One thing to note is that I had previously tried to install a different version of TTN but deleted it. Maybe remnants of the software remained on my Treo that caused the issue? Hard to tell.
    All the trouble was worth it though because I am very impressed by the software. Not perfect but far better than I imagined.

Kai
    Last edited by kaiwhoeatspie; 01/05/2006 at 04:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave07731
    The UK 5.20 version installed without problems and is working fine for me, including the contacts navigator.

I posted a TT tech support question regarding US 5.12 vs. UK 5.20 a couple of weeks ago, but it usually takes them a while to answer e-mail, so I'll post their response when I get it.
    Dave07731,
    When you use contacts navigator, can you access it from within Nav5 or do you have to launch it directly and then have it launch Nav5? There doesn't seem to be an explanation anywhere on the Tomtom site regarding how it should work.

It took them over a month to respond to my last question. Basicly I was just asking them how 5.20 compared to 5.12. Finally got a response this week. This is their reply:
    Due to the great demand for our products, we were not able to answer your mail sooner. Please accept our apologies for the delay.

There are differences as to stability and phone compatibility. Furthermore some mapissues related to Europw have been fixed with the newer application. The update also makes sure that more PDA's are compatible inclusing Windows Mobile 5 devices. It will not hurt to install the update in anyway. Please see the following link for the Navigator 5 update. Again sorry for the mix up.

Title: Update December 2005 - TomTom NAVIGATOR 5.2xx - Pocket PC/Palm OS
    URL: http://62.250.17.58/cgi-bin/us.cfg/p...ted=1121731040
    Last edited by jrfaris; 01/06/2006 at 01:16 PM.
    When you use contacts navigator, can you access it from within Nav5 or do you have to launch it directly and then have it launch Nav5? There doesn't seem to be an explanation anywhere on the Tomtom site regarding how it should work.
    You'll need to launch contacts navigator first. A list of your contacts will appear. Select a contact using the stylus (5-way isn't supported), then press the menu button (or tap the menu bar) "Navigate To..." from the "Record" menu. The street address for the selected contact will appear. Tap "OK" to start navigator (again, the 5-way isn't supported).

There are differences as to stability and phone compatibility.
    Did they indicate which is the more stable version?
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave07731
    Did they indicate which is the more stable version?
    Of course not. Most of their support responses are not very helpful. My impression is that version 5.20 was needed for the European maps and provides little improvement over 5.12. It still is not listed as an update on the US portion of their site. Some have reported that 5.20 reduces resets but others continue to have problems. I suspect that most reset issues relate to glitches in installation and memory issues.

Thanks for the info about Contacts Navigation. That is how my installation works as well. I asked about documentation & their response said see the user manual. My Nav5 manual doesn't mention it....
    It amazes me that we as consumers somewhat accept TomTom's completely inept customer/technical support (it is a joke to even call it that). I have been trolling message boards for weeks now trying to find answers to questions that TomTom refuses to respond to for whatever reason., "Due to the great demand for our products...." What a load of crap.

The software works great when it works, but TomTom has worlds to learn about the customer. It is completely mind blowing to me that on the websight, more effort has been put into 'Investor Relations' than 'Customer Support',....amazing.