1.    #1  
    I have SnapperMail set up to check 2 e-mail accounts. One is my main charter.net account, and the other is for an address with a personal domain (family web site). I am having problems sending mail *alot* of the time. It is weird because it will work a few times, then with nothing changing, it will not send. I can change the outgoing mail server (smtp) to the other account, and it will work for a few times, then stop - I change it back to the other one, and it is OK again - Since it does work some, doesn't that mean that I have the settings correct? I guess this is different for each provider, but I'm sure someone out there is using charter.net - how am I supposed to set it up?

SMTP Server: mail.charter.net (or should it be smtp.charter.net?)
    Username: is this just the name, or should it be name@charter.net?
    Password: I know this is correct

So my question is really about the smtp server name and the username...

Also - on the "more" page, should POP before send be checked? I think I have tried both ways and I haven't seen any difference.

I don't have any problem at all getting mail - only sending, and even that isn't always a problem.
  2.    #2  
    no one?
    I always use my Sprint mail account information for outgoing mail. If I try to use another one, it does not work.
  4.    #4  
    OK - Little more information here.

using smtp.charter.net (as mentioned on charter's web site) - here is the error message I get:

Start Manual 12/30/05 11:25
    am
    Send:
    Authorising SMTP
    SMTP Rcpt To: command failed: 550
    #5.1.0 Address rejected.
    Duration: 6
    End: 12/30/05 11:25am

Address rejected? What the heck does that mean? I know the destination address is correct... I changed the send to address and it worked, sent again to the first address I tried, and it failed again - it is apparently something to do with the destination address, but I KNOW it is correct...
    Charter doesn't allow me to relay, I'm guessing your account won't relay either. Use Sprints smtp server for outgoing Charter mail.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Thanks - the successful test was back to my charter account, so that probably wasn't a good test. I am with Cingular, so I guess I need to be looking for Cingular mail server info to use?

I also have my own domain and e-mail there, so I guess I could look at using that as my outgoing mail server.
  7.    #7  
    well, i've used the exact settings that charter sent in a reply to my e-mail, and i've used the exact settings that my site host sent, and i still have the problem... it will work for an e-mail or two, then bomb (of course when I am rushing to get an e-mail sent) - so I have to save the message in drafts, go to edit accounts, change the server (basically just flip-flop from mail.charter.net to smtp.charter.net or mail.myhost.net), then go back to drafts, open the message, resend, and it works...

this is incredibly frustrating --- should I be checking with Cingular to see if there are outgoing mail settings that I should be using from them, since they are actually the isp for this device?
    You can't use Charter's SMTP server to send mail to users who aren't also on Charter; doesn't matter what settings you use.

What you need to do is use a different SMTP server (e.g. Cingular's).

Marc
  9.    #9  
    someone else had said that about charter (guess I shoulda believed them, huh? LOL) anyway, I was trying it AND the mail servers for my personal site. I don't understand why they won't work. It's through Hosting Matters if anyone is familiar with them.

I'll see what I can do about getting the info to set up Cingular's mail server for outbound.
  10.    #10  
    UPDATE

That wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. A quick look on Cingular's site revealed the correct outgoing mail server to be cwmx.com - I made that change and sent a couple of quick test messages, which worked... Only time will tell if it continues to work, so we'll see...

Thanks all - hopefully this is resolved.