1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just bought the treo 650 last night. I am excited, I sync'd it last night. But I have a few questions for you experienced PALMERS....

1. I have installed Pocket Tunes 3.0.3 on my phone last night. However, My windows media player will not transfer the .mp3 to my phone, its not detecting the phone only in windows media player.. Does anyone know why?

2. Does anyone know of any good programs that will transfer songs to my palm? I dont know maybe it can do it now and I am leaving out a step. I thought I would ask you guys.

3. Is there links to some firmware updates I need to update since I just bought it?

4. IS there any good sites out there for software?

5. What kind of memory card goes into this palm (is it just an SDCARD)? Does anyone know where a good/cheapest place to get this card?

6. I have obtained a copy of TomTom 5.0 and I want to install but I need the card first considering the memory in the phone isnt enough. Has anyone had any problems with TomTom on the Treo 650?

7. Is there an option to have the internet without going through my service provider?

8. Is there software out there for a screen savor for this phone?

Thanks for your reply(s)

Andy
    #1 & #2 - Save yourself the effort and use either a USB adapter or CardExport II to transfer files to your Treo650's external SD card (see #5). You DON'T want to be placing mp3 files in your internal RAM.

#3 - What version do you have (Sprint/Verizon/etc.?) Search the board to find out the latest revision. Since it's new, you probably have the latest firmware.

#4 - Palmgear.com is the largest.

#5 - It takes secure digital (SD) cards. I like dealram.com for the best deals. 1GB cards can be had pretty cheap now.

#6 - Again, check the board. There has been a LONG discussion about TomTom. You absolutely need a card to install. Be sure to update to 5.12 or 5.2 from their site.

#7 - Yes (it will be slow and expensive). You are better off with a data plan, or you can setup a bluetooth internet connection with your local LAN.

#8 - Not necessary and wouldn't be advised.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
  3.    #3  
    thank you so much for your responses!

Is there a way to customize each persons phone ringer?
  4.    #4  
    I have Verizon

I am going to order a SD Card today

Dont you need a bluetooth signal from my router to have internet right in my apartment? I have wireless signal now, so I need to buy a wireless for bluetooth? Do they plug into a router? How does that work I guess is what im asking...

I will look for th TomTom info...

thanks for the links!
    What kind of Treo do you have? Verizon, Cingular or unbranded? I would wait with installing the Tom Tom until you are a bit more familiar with your Treo because it can cause problems.

The best way to import MP3 to your Treo is through the Real Player software that came with your install disk. Yes you will need an SD card. A 1 G card should meet all your needs and in my experience Newegg has the best prices.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yinyang042
    thank you so much for your responses!

Is there a way to customize each persons phone ringer?
    I just got my treo this weekend (thats why I dont Christmas shop because I see too many things that I WANT).

ANyways, use Ringo for mp3 ringtones for different people. Works like a charm! I downloaded it from the actual palmone website but search palmgear.com Im sure they will have it as well.

On a side note, I noticed that the volume on my treo was always pretty low compared to my old phone. I suggest you download Volume Care for your treo. It is one of the BEST programs you can ever use. It has like a boost mode on your volume and you can customize your handset volume, headset volume, and speaker. Very cool.

As for your mp3 question above, access to an SD card has never been easier with CardExport II. It maps a drive on your windows pc when you run the app on the palm Just drag and drop your music on.
  7.    #7  
    I will try real player... I was trying to change a ringer for each person on my phone.. so someone can have a personal ringer.. is there a program for that because I was not able to find in contacts a place when I edit the persons info to change the ringer for that person....
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eafenyes
    What kind of Treo do you have? Verizon, Cingular or unbranded? I would wait with installing the Tom Tom until you are a bit more familiar with your Treo because it can cause problems.

The best way to import MP3 to your Treo is through the Real Player software that came with your install disk. Yes you will need an SD card. A 1 G card should meet all your needs and in my experience Newegg has the best prices.

I will wait but only for a short amount of time because it seems to be a main feature I wanted to use with this phone. Helping me get to know how this works is even greater than the phone at this point for me. SO I thank every one of you that have responded.

I was reading on these forums about TOMTOM and someone said you need to have something set up for the GPS? IS this true?
    I have Verizon
    Dont you need a bluetooth signal from my router to have internet right in my apartment? I have wireless signal now, so I need to buy a wireless for bluetooth? Do they plug into a router? How does that work I guess is what im asking...
    You will need either a stand alone Bluetooth Access Point ($$$) or a bluetooth adapter for a PC (some laptops have Bluetooth built-in) (much cheaper). You will then be able to use your broadband connection/LAN over Bluetooth with your Treo650 (or PocketPC's, etc. which have Bluetooth).

If you have any other questions, you can safely assume they have been brought up on this site before. I recommend you search first and read the plethora of responses. I assure you the answers are out there already!

Enjoy!
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    TomTom works in conjunction with a GPS receiver. There are two kinds you can use. wired or Bluetooth. I personally think that this

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp

Seidio product is the best solution because the GPS receiver is built into the cradle. The biggest problem with TomTom seems to be that it may interfere with your ability to Hotsync after you install the software. This is less likely to happen if you use a card reader to install your maps. Also, the original Navigator 5 software may have had a bug in it that your interrupted navigation if you got a phone call, it would have to be re-set to keep working. The latest update, which I think is 5.201 is supposed to solve this problem. You can download it from the TomTom website although it has been really sluggish lately. I think many people who got the product for Christmas have all been trying to reach it.

You can also connect a GPS receiver to your Treo via Bluetooth. Lots of folks seem to have problems with this arrangement, the Treo and the GPS receiver not recognizing each other.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ...Is there software out there for a screen savor for this phone...
    My sister uses the virtual yule log....

... oh, you meant "saver"...