1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

I'm entertaining getting an unlocked/unbranded 650 after the new year. I currently have Tmo and was debating between getting the unltd $19.99 plan or trying the $5.99 TMoWeb plan. Having searched the forum, it seems Tmo users here who have ventured into using the cheaper plan have had a good bit of success. I'd like to use the cheaper approach depending on the answers to these questions:

- Is there a speed difference in web browsing on the $5.99 vs $19.99 plan?
    - are there treo functions that I can't use on the $5.99? (e.g. streaming radio)
    - any email issues?
    - is $5.99 unlimited?

Thanks for your help!

-mark
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    - No speed diff..
    - I haven't run into anything except some chat progs and FTP has issues..
    - Nope..
    - Yup..

Capesh? (and don't mock my spelling issues..)
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    Quote Originally Posted by renthead74
    Hi everyone,

I'm entertaining getting an unlocked/unbranded 650 after the new year. I currently have Tmo and was debating between getting the unltd $19.99 plan or trying the $5.99 TMoWeb plan. Having searched the forum, it seems Tmo users here who have ventured into using the cheaper plan have had a good bit of success. I'd like to use the cheaper approach depending on the answers to these questions:

- Is there a speed difference in web browsing on the $5.99 vs $19.99 plan?
    - are there treo functions that I can't use on the $5.99? (e.g. streaming radio)
    - any email issues?
    - is $5.99 unlimited?

Thanks for your help!

-mark
    no
    don't think so - maybe some secure websites
    nope
    yup

Best bet is to get the tzones (or whatever they are calling it this week) and see if it works for you. If not, you can always upgrade and pay more.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Of course, my above answers assume you are using the proxy workaround.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by temna
    - No speed diff..
    - I haven't run into anything except some chat progs and FTP has issues..
    - Nope..
    - Yup..
    The main difference is that the cheaper plan does NOT:

1. Support VPN access or RDP access.
    2. Allow you to connect a Laptop or other device to the Internet via bluetooth or cable to the Treo.

I am 100% sure on point 1, point 2 I have not tested - something I read a while back.
    VPN access or RDP access would be used for what?
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkieBoot

2. Allow you to connect a Laptop or other device to the Internet via bluetooth or cable to the Treo.

I am 100% sure on point 1, point 2 I have not tested - something I read a while back.
    Point 2 is incorrect, you can tether if you use the proxy, but it does seem to be dependent on one's current location.
    Quote Originally Posted by drtadwinslow
    VPN access or RDP access would be used for what?
    If you don't know what these are then no worries - you can most certainly go for the cheaper plan.

For Your Information, however...

VPN=Virtual Private Network - Connect Treo to your corporate network
    RDP=Remote Desktop Protocol - Allow Treo to remote control your PC
    if you use a proxy make sure you know what one is...
    run your own if not every password you do is sent through the proxy server...major major security risk
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkieBoot

Definitely no VPN or RDP (but see below as to why)

You can definitely connect a laptop using your phone, or straight with an EDGE PCMCIA card, or through one of those expensive laptops with built in GPRS/EDGE modems.

Just go to:
    The T-Zones / T-MobileWeb Laptop Page

It shows you how to connect your laptop, windows mobile 2003 SE / 2005, PDA and even your blackberry to T-MobileWeb (the new T-Zones)

The difference
    1) the $19.99 plan costs more
    2) The downloads are limited to about 400Kb (per invidual page and html page , but not combined, which means all pages are fine EXCEPT for the LARGEST Flash page, and NO LARGE DOWNLOADS) but that seems to be a limit of their "proxy server" because this has increased from the about 40kb that they use to have about 6 months ago, so it could go up again.
    3) POP3 and IMAP connections has to go through their myemail.t-mobile.com email BRIDGE which just means logging onto your my.t-mobile.com and settings things up before you can use them.
    4) Most IM's work (Skype, MSN, yahoo, irc) but you have to set up their HTTP server (and forget VOICE because of the speed of the network more than because of no RTP)
    5) Nothing that's not WEBSITES, No VOIP (no ports available) no watching video (mainly because of their size) no P2P (also mainly because of the size of each download)
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Sorry. I posted that last message twice. I've just edited and removed a copy of what you just saw in the last message.

Just go to:
    The T-Zones / T-MobileWeb Laptop Page
    Last edited by thedamian; 07/03/2006 at 09:26 PM. Reason: It was a double post sorry.
    you may want to look into the current price for unlimited internet, becausae I think T-mobile has boosted the cost to $29.99 per month.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulig13 View Post
    you may want to look into the current price for unlimited internet, becausae I think T-mobile has boosted the cost to $29.99 per month.
    NO!

What has changed is that the REGULAR T-Mobile Internet has gone from $19.99 to $29.99.

ACTUALLY what has happened is they've now combined their Hotspot plan (surf using Wifi on any starbucks or borders, or where ever) and their GPRS/EDGE Internet.

So for those who where paying $20 for GPRS/EDGE and $20 for Wifi are now paying $10 less. (cause they're now both $15, but they're combined)

Point is I'm sure you can JUST get the GPRS/EDGE T-Mobile Internet plan and then call them to drop the Wifi option.

Or just get the $5.99 T-MobileWeb plan and just set it up yourself.

To prove it here's their site about it:

T-MobileWeb on T-Mobile's own site.