1.    #1  
    I'm not asking for miracles from a bluetooth headset - I just want it to be loud enough to hear while driving an average car at highway speeds...

I got a Motorola HS850 for Christmas - and I was very unimpressed. It was no where near loud enough (after reading some here, I found that to not be unusual) and of the 5 or 6 calls I attempted with it, on 2 of the incoming calls, it was like the phone didn't know it was there and I had to use the phone normally. -- I have begun to dig through the piles of available BT headsets, and I wanted honest user reviews from folks that have actually used them with Treo 650's. Apparently the volume level is dependent on the phone, since my sis-in-law has an HS850 with her XV6600 and has no problems.

I'm looking at:
    Plantronics BT320 - My brother has one that I used for a test call, and it was more comfortable and noticeably louder than the HS850 - if nothing else jumps out at me, this is what I am going to pick up for myself. If someone can convince me something else is louder/better, I'll go that way.

Jabra BT250v
    Jabra BT800
    Motorola H300
    Motorola H500

I don't know if I would like the Jabra's or not - not sure about the whole "behind the ear" thing like they are. There needs to be a way to try these danged things out without buying them. There isn't an easy way (that I know of) to see if you like the feel of it on your ear, is it loud enough, etc without buying it.
    I was just about to give up on a BT headset being loud enough with my Treo 650. I had a SE HBH-660 as my first headset...it wasn't loud enough but was somewhat better with the Jabra EarGel mod...sadly, I lost it. My second BT headset was a SE HBH-65 (earlier model than the 660) that I bought cheap on eBay. Almost totally useless even with the Eargel mod. So, after reading on here about various headsets, I went out today and bought the Plantronics Voyager 510. Bingo! The headset is light and comfortable, and most importantly has great volume! I highly recommend this headset.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
  3.    #3  
    Thanks - I'm looking up the Voyager now.. I'd prefer to buy locally - in case I do need to do a return, so I'll see if I can find one around here. Went to Best Buy tonight, and all they had were Motorola and Jabra's. Staples had even less of a selection.
    I own both the BT250V and the BT800.I like the feel of the 250V the best of the three headsets I currently own,but have just sent it back for an exchange-since I could hear everyone but no one could hear me.The BT800 is okay,although all of its features don't work with the Treo,so I wouldn't necessarily buy it again if I were searching for headphones for my Treo.I also have the Treo Wireless Headset,which also works well with the added benefit of the same charger.However,sometimes with the TWH and BT800,I often feel as if they might fall off my ear at any moment,whereas the BT250v feels snug and secure,I don't even have to worry about checking to make sure I still have it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rctoyguy
    Thanks - I'm looking up the Voyager now.. I'd prefer to buy locally - in case I do need to do a return, so I'll see if I can find one around here. Went to Best Buy tonight, and all they had were Motorola and Jabra's. Staples had even less of a selection.
    I felt the same way about possibly wanting to return the headset. I bought mine locally from Radio Shack...give them a try, although you might need to go to more than one store before you find one.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    I was looking at BT headsets for Christmas. I purchased three and then today tried the Plantronics 510. Hands down it is the best of what I tried. I started with the Logitech Mobile Freedom, it was just junk. Then I tried the Scala 500 it was very nice to wear and in most cases worked wonderfully, except in my car. I couldn't hear anything. I then tried the Jabra BT250v sound level was okay in my car but the static made it so unusable and it did not hand off everytime. So I was in total frustration read the post about the Plantronics. Called out phone vendor here in town and they had a demo unit avaliable so I picked it up. I was impressed with sound volume and quality. It is not as comfortable as the Scala but feels the same as my desktop Plantronics headset I have used for years. Now I have to see if I want to use it to change out my desktop unit as well.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

another vote for the Plantronics 510. I find it too loud sometimes and I need to turn the volume down.

I've also got the Plantronics 510S (base station for a regular phone). Using the same headset between my desk phone and my cell phone is definitely a great feature with this headset.
  8.    #8  
    Well, I bought a Jabra 250 today, I'll see how it does and let you know what I think. I wanted to try one of the "behind the ear" models, and this looked like a good candidate. In 2 calls made, volume seems to be sufficient, but it looks like the range is going to be pitiful. Like, I almost have to be holding the phone to keep a static free connection.. I thought bluetooth was supposed to be good for up to 30 feet... Looks more like 30 inches to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rctoyguy
    Well, I bought a Jabra 250 today, I'll see how it does and let you know what I think. I wanted to try one of the "behind the ear" models, and this looked like a good candidate. In 2 calls made, volume seems to be sufficient, but it looks like the range is going to be pitiful. Like, I almost have to be holding the phone to keep a static free connection.. I thought bluetooth was supposed to be good for up to 30 feet... Looks more like 30 inches to me.
    That was my big complaint with it. No range. The 510 does not have that problem.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS