1.    #1  
    i just bought an unlocked treo 600 from amazon. i bought a prepaid sim card from cingular. i was told by the cingular rep that i should plugin the sim card and do the following.
    *888*PIN# send while doing this procedure i forgot to do the # at the end of the pin.
    Shortly after I did this I got an SMS from cingular saying the phone is ready for text sms messaging.

Phone also shows Cingular in the upper left hand corner of the screen. There are 2-3 bars as well for the service.
    I cannot dial out it just returns back to the dial pad. When I dail the number given to me by the Cingular Rep from the land line, it gives a busy tone.

I am not sure what's going on. Is it possible that the mistake I made in entering the PIN could be a problem or the phone is defective to start with or it's not unlocked, even though the Amazon site said that it was unlocked?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
    Please don't cross post.

See if you can borrow and use other telephone provider's SIM, if it is locked, it will give you a different message.

Not really familiar with the Cingular prepaid activation process, you may need to call them again.