Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I know this is a basic question, but I cannot find the answer.....What program do I need to use to open and install a downloaded program from my desktop to my Visor?

Thanks
    If the file you download is a .zip file, you need something like WinZip to extract the file(s) out of it.

Once you have, for example, a .pdb file, if you have "Palm Desktop" installed, double-clicking the file should bring it up in the Install Tool.

It will be installed on the Visor the next time you sync.
    Jeff
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    If the file you download is a .zip file, you need something like WinZip to extract the file(s) out of it.
    But it will save you a bit of pointing and clicking if you make sure you unzip the file(s) into C:\Palm\Add-Ons. That's where (I believe) Palm Desktop automatically looks for install files.
    Palm Desktop is the app that installs programs to your Visor, plus alot more. If you have installed it from the Handspring CD-R, you should have a red/blue Hotsync icon in your system tray. Go Start>Programs>Palm Desktop>Install Tool.
    Here's a site you should have bookmarked, it helped me alot when I first got my Visor: http://www.palmgear.com/ You'll probably find the answer to this question in alot more detail and the answers to others that will come up in your first few months.
    i don't really 'unzip' my files. with WinZip, double click the .zip file and that will automatically open WinZip showing you all the files in the zipped file.

In the WinZip window, double click the program (.prc or .pdb) and it will bring up the installer window from Palm Desktop. Select the user and click 'Done'.

Now close WinZip (without 'extracting' the files). when you hotsync, it will go 'into' the zipped file and find the palm file you want to install and install it. This allows me to catagorize all my zipped files into folders under one directory called 'PalmStuff'.

It helped when i had to do a hard reset because it was just a matter of going to my 'PalmStuff' folder and systematically going through the subfolders and installing all my applications!

nice and neat...no .prc and .pdb files everywhere. just a bunch of zipped files (less memory usage too!)

ta daaa!
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Hoser:
    Does this ever happen to you? Open the zip file, double-click the first pdb (pretend it's hello.pdb) and it goes to the installer, double-click the second pdb (call it hello2.pdb) and the installer window tells you that there's already a hello.pdb?

My way around this is to drag-and-drop the second file from WinZip into the installer window.
    Jeff
    that's strange, i've never had that problem. hmm...i wonder why it would do that? I just tested it and it worked fine. i installed 2 .pdb files from the same zip and it didn't give me that message.

I'll have to think about that and fiddle around.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    double-click the second pdb (call it hello2.pdb) and the installer window tells you that there's already a hello.pdb
    I run into this a lot with InstallBuddy. There also seems to be a bug that prevents InstallBuddy from getting subsequent files when clicking them individually. My workaround is to just select all the pertinent files from the archive and drag them to InstallBuddy.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...