Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    To paraphrase Mr. Gump, "Clumsy is as Clumsy does." Speaking as one of the MOST clumsy people I know, and having tried several different cases, skins, holsters, etc., I find that most of my drops, etc., resulted from the smooth and slippery surface. I keep going back to eGrips, finding that this virtually eliminated my drops and slips. So I'm back to eGrips and pocket and without further incident. --knock on wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I keep mine in my front pocket with no screen protector or case for almost a year now. No problems, but I am very careful with it, and do not keep anything else in my pocket.
    I can understand those who don't use a case. But I can't understand those who don't use a screen protector.

You can be careful and get away without a case but it's far more difficult to get away without a screen protector. There's just too much potential for scratching the screen. From dust in your pocket to a spur on your stylus your tempting fate in my opinion.

Good luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by #1, The Larch
    To paraphrase Mr. Gump, "Clumsy is as Clumsy does." Speaking as one of the MOST clumsy people I know, and having tried several different cases, skins, holsters, etc., I find that most of my drops, etc., resulted from the smooth and slippery surface. I keep going back to eGrips, finding that this virtually eliminated my drops and slips. So I'm back to eGrips and pocket and without further incident. --knock on wood.
    One thing I really wish we had is a lanyard. If I had one, I would slip it around my wrist EVERY TIME I pulled my Precious out of my pocket.

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I use no case, Egrips, a screen protector, and carry it in my front pocket. I make sure to have my keys in the other pocket.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I use no case, Egrips, a screen protector, and carry it in my front pocket. I make sure to have my keys in the other pocket.
    Are those grips any good? I'm thinking of getting a good skin for my Treo but I'm too picky. I like the one from ZCover because even the camera lens gets a cover. I just think it's a little pricy but I'm most likely going to get it. One disadvantage though - if you have to do a reset to open the battery cover, you're gonna have to remove the rubber skin which could be a little inconvenient.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    I started with a Vaja case then one day when I had it off I realized that the case made my Treo feel really big. since I take good care of my stuff, I figured I'd go without for a while.

It really depends on how clumsey/lucky you are. If you have insurance I'd say go without the case.
    Had the same thing happen was using a vaja case then one day I took it out of the case and liked the feel now I use the seideo holster with the screen facing in
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    Are those grips any good? I'm thinking of getting a good skin for my Treo but I'm too picky. I like the one from ZCover because even the camera lens gets a cover. I just think it's a little pricy but I'm most likely going to get it. One disadvantage though - if you have to do a reset to open the battery cover, you're gonna have to remove the rubber skin which could be a little inconvenient.
    Egrips are great. You don't have to remove anything to access the reset hole, battery, or camera.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    How long do the Egrips last? And when you take them off, how much icky residue is left?
    I bought the SKintight Case and Holster and love it. It is light and not bulky at all with full access to all functions and easily slides in and out of the holster. Slight downfalls are 1. blocks access to SD CArd slot and window latch on touchscreen cover obstructs 5 way up function slightly. Mild cons but overall great prodect.

http://www.speckproducts.com/treo650.html
    I carry my treo in my front pocket, alone. I don't like holsters or anything on my belt, so I use a flexskin cover and screen protector and it works just fine and fits easily in my pocket. The flexskin provides a nice level of protection from nicks, and I cut generic screen protectors purchased for my old Palm 515 to fit the treo. Works great and is much cheaper than the custom made screen protectors that are sold. The only hassle with the flexskin, however is if you have to reset. Then you have to "peel" it carefully off, and after repeated removals it does stretch out a bit. Fortunately, I use Launcher X which has a reset feature built in and this has limited my need to open the back for reset.
    I use the vaja T66, it's expensive but it has a lid that lets me turn off the Palm's keyguard function as well as an optional belt clip.

http://www.vajacases.com/images/smar...a102i/main.jpg

Piri
    I still dont understand why people use cases, skins etc. I mean it fits in ones pocket perfect. I am missing something here?
    I use the treocentral pouch, for the price you cant beat it. I have found that carrying the treo naked in a front pocket is very stressfull for me.
    Palm m105>Visor Prizm>Tungsten T>Clie Nx70v>Tungsten T3>Treo 600>Clie UX50>Tungsten T5>Treo 650>Tungsten TX>Treo 650 agian!!!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    I still dont understand why people use cases, skins etc. I mean it fits in ones pocket perfect. I am missing something here?
    S**t happens So people just wanna protect their investment.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
  16.    #36  
    ok so today is the like the 3rd day of me carrying my treo in my pocket without a case. lemme tell you, the first day i was so scared the whole time. i was like eeek is it gonna break? lemme check.....id pull out my treo like every 5minutes to check out its condition haha. now im getting better at it, and im giving more responsibility that it is not gonna break =D
    "Should I use a case?"

No.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  18. lua
    try saying that again after you have drop it.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    I carry my Treo on my belt most of the time. The soft cases leave the device vulnerable to getting banged up. Also, I have yet to find a soft case that is convenient to use and provides protection for the screen. For me, it is not convenient to carry the Treo in my pocket. The biggest concern really is protecting the screen from damage. It does not take much to scratch the screen. Once scratched, you pretty much have to replace the unit. A $30 aluminum case is very cheap insurance from having to replace the entire unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop
    How long do the Egrips last? And when you take them off, how much icky residue is left?
    They last a few months, depending upon use. They leave no residue, or nothing an alcohol pad won't easily remove. And they're cheaper than a case or skin.

I recommend eGrips NOT because they would protect the 650 from drops or mishandling, (which they won't) but because for me they helped eliminate clumsy drops and slips which lead to damage. No single approach will cover all contingencies, other than leaving the 650 at home all the time, stuffed WAY in the back of a dresser drawer, and not handling it at all.

But that, I imagine, would be another thread altogether.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast