1.    #1  
    I was one of the treo faithful since the 180... Didn't upgrade to the 650 because of all the bad things I heard... Went to a 6600 for a month and then did the seperate pda/phone thing for a while. Finally got convinced that the launch issues of the 650 could be overcome and decided to bite the bullet. Only to discover that turning on the bluetooth DUN capability in the bluetooth control panel makes the network inaccessible to the palm apps. Are you kidding me? I must be missing something here. This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

-Eagle
    You'd kinda only use DUN when you're providing internet access to an external Bluetooth device through your phone. The Treo's network stack isn't great and might be the limitation here, but either way obviously the Treo can't use the data connection at the same time the external device is.

Do you use DUN that much? If so, flipping that on and off might be a hassle. Otherwise it's not that big a deal, it's not something you'd leave turned on all the time.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    You'd kinda only use DUN when you're providing internet access to an external Bluetooth device through your phone. The Treo's network stack isn't great and might be the limitation here, but either way obviously the Treo can't use the data connection at the same time the external device is.
    Right, I have no problem with the fact that while the dun connection is actually active and connected you wouldn't be able to use the phone's network access at the same time. My point is that there's just no reason for an additional enable/disable step. On my phone (Nokia 6230), you can just connect via bluetooth - if it was already using the data channel internally it prompts you to disconnect first.

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Do you use DUN that much? If so, flipping that on and off might be a hassle. Otherwise it's not that big a deal, it's not something you'd leave turned on all the time.
    Yes. I just spent most of the last six months living in a motorhome in the desert while we built our DARPA Grand Challenge Entry.

-Eagle
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I agree that it's a stupid implementation. I'm sure there's a deeply technical reason that has something to do with crufty Palm OS underpinnings, but knowing that doesn't make it any less obnoxious. I guess life could be worse, but it grates to know that phones that cost half as much get this right and the Treo doesn't.