Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1.    #1  
    The IT department for the company I work for is so tight that not even District Managers are allowed mobile access to retrieve emails. For the last 2 1/2 years I have been fighting them to allow road access. I had one of the IT guys forward a copy of all my emails to a personal work dedicated email POP address. That worked great for 10 months, until the head of IT saw it and cut me off immediately.

    But I have now just found the perfect solution. Even though we do not have mobile access, we do have OWA 2003 (Outlook Web Access). A web interface for our corp mail. There is a tool call Mr Postman that will access the web access and download all the emails for you. The good news is that will access:
    • Corp Email with OWA and OWA 2003
    • Gmail
    • Juno email
    • Hotmail
    • Rediff email
    • Mail Dot Com
    • Generic email
    • Gossamer
    • and RSS Feeds!

    So this is what I did. I set it up on my home computer which is always on with cable internet. Set up a rule to move all emails from that account to a work folder. And set up a second rule to forward all emails from that account to a personal Comcast POP account dedicated to work emails set up on my PDA.

    Now without IT even knowing or having to do anything I now have access to all of my work email on my phone!

    Here is the link:

    http://mrpostman.sourceforge.net/

    (thank you hodula1 from PDAphoneHome for pointing me in the right direction!)
  2. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #2  
    Good find Hobbes!
    I don't have a problem with accessing work emails on the road but could use this to setup Thunderbird for Hotmail access...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  3. #3  
    Nice! It's just a matter of time before my IT dept figures out I installed the Sprint Business Connect client on my desktop to accomplish this same end. Once they do, and disable it, I'll switch to your solution - you're right, as long as they allow home webmail access, there's nothing they can do to stop this... Rock on!
  4. #4  
    You know...instead of going through all that hassle...you could just buy the new version of Chatter that will be out soon that has OWA support. Using the OWA signon, i can now access everyon one of my top level email folders without needing any sort of work around.

    It works marvelously, and this way, when i reply and forward, etc, it still looks like it came from the original sender, not from some forward to my own address.

    Check it out...you won't be disappointed.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    You know...instead of going through all that hassle...you could just buy the new version of Chatter that will be out soon that has OWA support. Using the OWA signon, i can now access everyon one of my top level email folders without needing any sort of work around.

    It works marvelously, and this way, when i reply and forward, etc, it still looks like it came from the original sender, not from some forward to my own address.

    Check it out...you won't be disappointed.
    With how many Treo fans that are migrating to a PPC unit or who will be buying the 700w, Chatter can't help them. This little gem of a tool works on the desktop and doesn't care what OS your phone has.


    Quote Originally Posted by enchilada88
    Nice! It's just a matter of time before my IT dept figures out I installed the Sprint Business Connect client on my desktop to accomplish this same end. Once they do, and disable it, I'll switch to your solution - you're right, as long as they allow home webmail access, there's nothing they can do to stop this... Rock on!
    The HUGE challenge I had with BC, is that I need a VPN to connect to our exchange server. Our VPN only allows one connection at a time, so I could not connect one I got to my Hotel room.....but more importantly at times I cannot keep my VPN connect for more than 30 minutes without having to log back on.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    You know...instead of going through all that hassle...you could just buy the new version of Chatter that will be out soon that has OWA support. Using the OWA signon, i can now access everyon one of my top level email folders without needing any sort of work around.

    It works marvelously, and this way, when i reply and forward, etc, it still looks like it came from the original sender, not from some forward to my own address.

    Check it out...you won't be disappointed.
    I'm hoping Marc will leave that for all of us under the tree this year, and we can all leave a paypal payment for him too. The right "from" address is much more important than I thought it would be.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    The IT department for the company I work for is so tight that not even District Managers are allowed mobile access to retrieve emails. For the last 2 1/2 years I have been fighting them to allow road access. I had one of the IT guys forward a copy of all my emails to a personal work dedicated email POP address. That worked great for 10 months, until the head of IT saw it and cut me off immediately.

    But I have now just found the perfect solution. Even though we do not have mobile access, we do have OWA 2003 (Outlook Web Access). A web interface for our corp mail. There is a tool call Mr Postman that will access the web access and download all the emails for you. The good news is that will access:
    • Corp Email with OWA and OWA 2003
    • Gmail
    • Juno email
    • Hotmail
    • Rediff email
    • Mail Dot Com
    • Generic email
    • Gossamer
    • and RSS Feeds!

    So this is what I did. I set it up on my home computer which is always on with cable internet. Set up a rule to move all emails from that account to a work folder. And set up a second rule to forward all emails from that account to a personal Comcast POP account dedicated to work emails set up on my PDA.

    Now without IT even knowing or having to do anything I now have access to all of my work email on my phone!

    Here is the link:

    http://mrpostman.sourceforge.net/

    (thank you hodula1 from PDAphoneHome for pointing me in the right direction!)
    I wish they would add Seven/Sprint BC/Cingular XpressMail as an additional webmail option. Then I could connect Chatter to this.
  8. #8  
    Is there anything like this for Lotus Notes users? My work will not hand out VPN access, and we only have a really crappy web interface for checking email.
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650


    Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
  9.    #9  
    I have never hear of one....may snoop around some Notes forums??? ??? It might be worth a shot.
  10. #10  
    Do you have to have Sprint Vision to do this?
  11.    #11  
    Yes....if you are on Sprint you will need vision so your phone can access the internet. It is only $15 a month.

    BTW.....Welcome to TC!!!!!!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/24/2005 at 03:00 AM.
  12. #12  
    HobbesIsReal,

    Mr. Postman looks like exactly what I need. I went to the link but wasn't sure how to install the program. Can you help? Sorry for being so clueless. Thanks.
  13. #13  
    While we are talking about it another option I use but don't read too much about is to use sprint bc on a always connected desktop (home for me) and have it poll a pop server. This all hinges on your it department having enabled pop access on the exchange server but even some of the more conservative IT departments I have had to put up with have had this enabled.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  14. #14  
    This does look pretty cool, but I suspect you are committing two ploci vilcations for you rcompany.

    1. Unauthorized software.
    2. Corporate e-mail being deposited to a non-corporate server.
  15. #15  
    Westronic,

    From what I read from Hobbes original posting....

    1. Mr. Postman is running on his PC at home, not a corporate machine, so how can it be unauthorized?
    2. OWA from his work allows employees to read/download messages from the web, no VPN required

    I see no way for big brother to prevent this other than shutting down OWA.

    Generally speaking, IT departments don't allow this because if you do it for one, you have to do it for all....and they don't want the nightmare of managing email forwarding to all kinds of email accounts. Too many headaches when they already have so much to support with the in house system. Also, allowing forwarding out from the email server is prevented in many cases to prevent malicious viruses or worms from using the server to propogate themselves or shovel out spam.

    I don't see anything wrong with Hobbes solution. It abides by his company's rules and still allows him to receive email on his phone.
  16. #16  
    I think you are correct about the software. I am certain that company policy would prohibit this, though, as the company e-mails get routed through an non-company mail service.

    This is no preventable by the company, perhaps, but that's not my point. My point is to be aware of what you are doing. Violating company policy is certainly not a crime, and sometimes is necessary to get work done. It's just good to be aware of the possibility and accept the risks involved. In this case the risk are:

    1. Company e-mail getting compromised and
    2. Getting fired (or maybe a lesser administrative punishment) for doing this.

    These risks are relatively small, perhaps, but real. Generally speaking, no one should be allowed to have access to your company's data without at least a non-disclosure agreement. In this case, I think the service being used might actually would have access to your e-mails.

    There are other risks, too, but they come from very unlikely scenarios, like the service becoming infected with a virus that propagates through all the e0mails they process, or other unlikely scenarios.

    I am NOT trying to be everyone's corporate police, just laying out the risks involved in doing this.

    I am, myself, trying to find a way to get my corporate e-mails and calendar to my 650. I am really hoping the next update will include Blackberry Connect and that my company will embrace it. I am hoping it involves minimal changes (if any) to the server-side component. That would help get it adopted.

    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    Westronic,

    From what I read from Hobbes original posting....

    1. Mr. Postman is running on his PC at home, not a corporate machine, so how can it be unauthorized?
    2. OWA from his work allows employees to read/download messages from the web, no VPN required

    I see no way for big brother to prevent this other than shutting down OWA.

    Generally speaking, IT departments don't allow this because if you do it for one, you have to do it for all....and they don't want the nightmare of managing email forwarding to all kinds of email accounts. Too many headaches when they already have so much to support with the in house system. Also, allowing forwarding out from the email server is prevented in many cases to prevent malicious viruses or worms from using the server to propogate themselves or shovel out spam.

    I don't see anything wrong with Hobbes solution. It abides by his company's rules and still allows him to receive email on his phone.
  17. T-ulk's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    #17  
    Can someone plz explain how to install this gem? Thanks...
  18. rwunder328's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnmunch
    Is there anything like this for Lotus Notes users? My work will not hand out VPN access, and we only have a really crappy web interface for checking email.
    With apologies for the delayed response, check DominoUnplugged

    - Rob
  19.    #19  
    CORP POLICY: I believe there is the letter of the law and the spirit of law in this application. First of all the software is on my personal PC, so no problem there. As a far as routing it, it is going to my personal PC which is ONLY under my control. No problem here. I then forward the emails to a personal POP3 account. This is where it becomes technically iffy and not clear in a situation like this at all. The policies contradict themselves to the best of our understanding. One policy states something to the fact that once emails are in my control I am able to forward as needed. Another policy says that the servers are unable to forward to an email account beyond their control, which they are not doing.

    I have not done this is in secret. I have been assigned as a lead to find alternative ways to retrieve emails to mobile devices. My direct superior is aware of my set up.

    This is only possible solution that I have found so far that I thought would benefit many others here. I am also working on another (better) way to download directly to the handheld with no storage on a server beyond their control. When I finalize that this is working (which should be as soon as tomorrow or Monday), I will share it as well.


    INSTALL: It is a jar file, which is java. After you save it to your harddrive, try openning it thru your browswer.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    CORP POLICY:

    I am also working on another (better) way to download directly to the handheld with no storage on a server beyond their control. When I finalize that this is working (which should be as soon as tomorrow or Monday), I will share it as well.


    INSTALL: It is a jar file, which is java. After you save it to your harddrive, try openning it thru your browswer.
    Will your new solution work on the Treo 650 also? Your information has been awesome. I'm dying for a way to get my OWA email to Fastmail, for Chatter. Thanks for sharing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions