Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Anyone with time/inclination to weigh in would be most appreciated.
    Brian
    Make sure if it uses the Sirf III chipset (best reception etc...)

Then your choice is B/T, Serial or Car Cradle (ie Seidio's new cradles)

The only real differentiator among Sirf III systems is battery life and price.

If you want B/T check out the new one that Seidio just released today
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=237

Maximum battery life and what I think is a nice pricepoint @ $115

Its based on the new Royaltek RBT-2010 (with a seidio painted cover on it)...Same specs as theGlobalsat BT-338, which goes for about $140 or so
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    with this I would also have to buy software for my Treo, yes? what would that be? sorry, neo-Luddite here.
    Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbw
    with this I would also have to buy software for my Treo, yes? what would that be? sorry, neo-Luddite here.
    TomTom Navigator 5 is very popular. I'm very happy with it. As mentioned above, make sure your GPS has the SiRF III chipset for the best operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    TomTom Navigator 5 is very popular. I'm very happy with it. As mentioned above, make sure your GPS has the SiRF III chipset for the best operation.
    tomtom navigator is the most popular but after playing around with it for several weeks, its not all that great, in my opinion. i've listed some deficiencies with the POIs in another thread, voice prompt tells me to exit when its actually an on ramp, voice prompt tells me to take the exit after the road already broke off from the main road, tomtom constantly asks you to turn on bluetooth if its off even if you are just trying to pre-plan a route, map shows you your next street to turn on but doesn't tell you the current street you are on, etc etc etc...

i'm not sure why tomtom is so popular. maybe its the only one that works well with the treo and can be fully loaded to run from the sd card whereas other software like mapopolis has to be installed in RAM. i kinda wish destinator was available for the palm. but i guess every software will have some problems.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Not all of Mapopolis has to be in ram. The app itself can run from the card just fine. With the latest version of mapopolis, if you don't want voice prompts you don't even have to load the voice library (which did have to be in ram).
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    Not all of Mapopolis has to be in ram. The app itself can run from the card just fine. With the latest version of mapopolis, if you don't want voice prompts you don't even have to load the voice library (which did have to be in ram).
    i talked to mapopolis support last week and they said that even though you can install the app on the card, when you launch it, it will copy itself to the internal RAM and run from there. i believe he said you need at least 10mb free on the internal RAM. i would think you need the voice prompts though. its helpful when you don't have to keep looking down at the maps all the time while driving.

i run goodlink and that takes a whole chunk of RAM. i only have about 4mb remaining so mapopolis was out of the question.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I have the Globalsat Bt-338 as mentioned above, I haven't used anything else, and therefor, could not recommend anything else. I have had no problems with the Bt-338, and would recommend it without hesitation. The only thing iI would recommend is to research which gps software to get.

I went with Tom Tom because that is what it seemed like most people were happy with and suggested. I have used it without really any problems other than maps not being current, some streets in the area more than 2 or 3 years old that don't show.
    My Vote

1) Seidio G4850 (Integrated GPS car kit) with TomTom 5 - So easy to use

If you like the Bluetooth receiver,
    2) Seidio RBT-2010 BT receiver. It has a very good review, (better that Bloalstat BT-338) and $ 30 cheaper.

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=109317

Also with Tomtom 5. If you need a car cardle to hold and charge your Treo, get Seidio G4500 and Blue tooth charging cable. This cable allows you to charge BT receiver in the car from G4500 all the time. G4500 can also use as a hands free kit

3) If you do not like the above, mapcrest
    I use a Seidio G2100s cradle hardwired to the battery, and use the RJ11 input for my Holux GR-213 wired Sirfstar III gps receiver.

This means that I can use my BT carkit (or a BT headset) to receive incomming calls. TTN then restarts and gives you visual directions, and when you end the call you get the voice directions back. No-brainer.

I use Tom Tom 5.201 and have been using Tom Tom for over a year now. I have covered well over 30,000 miles using Tom Tom and it has never let me down. I have always got to within 50 metres of where I want to be, generally much, much closer.

It is not perfect. NO sat nav product will ever be. but in my opinion it is the best out there at the moment.

My setup is permanent & very neat - see attached photo. GPS is inside the dash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    MikeProcter - Looks like you have a BMW - what model? Whatever it is, it looks like yours is defective because the steering wheel appears to be on the wrong side.

Anyway, that's a great GPS setup you have there.
    Delorme has a steet atlas GPS NAV system with BT for handhelds. Their BT device is called the blue logger.

From their site: Street Atlas USA® 2006 Handheld

Create address-to-address routes directly on your handheld computer or compatible Windows Mobile phone
    Quickly locate your address book contacts on the maps, plus any of the 4 million updated places of interest.
    Get pre-cut maps for cities and towns of all sizes
    Connect to the new DeLorme Blue Logger GPS receiver (available separately) and track yourself in real time on street-level maps anywhere in the U.S.
    Store your maps on removable-media devices, and hot-synch to Palm OS external media cards
    Select high-contrast map colors for improved visibility in glare conditions
    Reverse your routes
    Beam maps to family and friends – it’s amazing!
    Bring topographic maps with you using Topo USA 5.0® software (available separately)
    Import aerial photos, satellite images and USGS 7.5 minute topo map files from Topo USA 5.0 Aerial Data Packets
    Get voice prompts when tracking with GPS, with Pocket PC and Palm OS 5.2 or later. (Note: The Palm OS voice feature is available on devices with Enhanced Sound, which includes most devices that have come to market since April 2003, with the exception of the low-end Zire 21.)
    High-density screen support for Palm OS 5.0 and later devices
    Wonder if this will work with Seidio/ other BT receivers?
    Try this. They have a small sample/tutorial. You have to download it.

http://www.delorme.com/Support/Downl...ingStarted.exe
    Aviator,
    Their GPS device uses the old sirf II chipset..you'll get much better performance from the Seidio or BT-338 that were recommended earlier.

The street atlas software is very limited in turns of being used for an In-Car Navigation system...TT is much better suited for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBKB
    My Vote

1) Seidio G4850 (Integrated GPS car kit) with TomTom 5 - So easy to use

If you like the Bluetooth receiver,
    2) Seidio RBT-2010 BT receiver. It has a very good review, (better that Bloalstat BT-338) and $ 30 cheaper.

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=109317

Also with Tomtom 5. If you need a car cardle to hold and charge your Treo, get Seidio G4500 and Blue tooth charging cable. This cable allows you to charge BT receiver in the car from G4500 all the time. G4500 can also use as a hands free kit

3) If you do not like the above, mapcrest
    I agree 100%...I actually have all 3 of those devices right now (G4850, RBT-2010, BT-338) . The G4850 (or the G2350 if you dont need audio out) works perfect if you will be using it in your car. If you need mobility, the RBT-2010 is the better bargain (similar performance to BT-388 at a better price) and a non-GPS cradle makes a nice base for the B/T Car setup either G4500 or I believe a cheaper (non-speaker version) called the G4100 is just around the corner (which replaces the G2100 Mike Proctor has...and it even works on both sides of the car
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    It is not perfect. NO sat nav product will ever be. but in my opinion it is the best out there at the moment.
    if its your opinion that TT is the best out there right now, what other GPS software have you tried for the treo? or maybe the TT in europe is better than in the US? because i think TT is ok, not great. or maybe the key word is "best out there at the moment".... i know i've used mapopolis but on the ppc. and to me that was better than TT, aside from the maps being 2D. but they use navteq maps, and TT uses atlas? so maybe the software is only as good as the maps it uses.
    right, and I am spoiled having used Garmin's so far. I use my Aviation handheld Garmin which is capable of air, land and sea GPS. I does turn by turn and voice. Fantastic. Maps and directions are really fantastic. But I have to keep transferring it to car and back which is a pain. Also it is way too expensive, to leave in a car unattended. But I like the Treo route, where one would naturally walk out of the car WITH his phone. And the phone will always go with you when you travel. Just makes too much sense. Wonder why they dont make all cell phones with GPS routing in them?
    Sorry, but I am new to these smartphones and they are indeed facinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    Aviator,
    Their GPS device uses the old sirf II chipset..you'll get much better performance from the Seidio or BT-338 that were recommended earlier.

The street atlas software is very limited in turns of being used for an In-Car Navigation system...TT is much better suited for that.
    Thanks for the reply, I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

What do you think? I know, kinda crazy posting on ebay, have to really sort through things and figure out what really he wants to sell.
    And they say the 2006 ver is all new, blah blah blah.
    Wish we could hear from anyone using the Delorme mapping software.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    i talked to mapopolis support last week and they said that even though you can install the app on the card, when you launch it, it will copy itself to the internal RAM and run from there. i believe he said you need at least 10mb free on the internal RAM. i would think you need the voice prompts though. its helpful when you don't have to keep looking down at the maps all the time while driving.
    He's full of it. I have mapopolis running off of MY card and it most certainly does NOT copy itself to ram to run. I have 3MB of ram free (dont have the voice prompting installed) and mapopolis runs just fine.

You don't need 10MB free on your palm to run mapopolis...period.

Been running it for years. Never needed 10 MB of free ram to run mapopolis...ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    MikeProcter - Looks like you have a BMW - what model? Whatever it is, it looks like yours is defective because the steering wheel appears to be on the wrong side.

Anyway, that's a great GPS setup you have there.
    It may be defective, but it works extreemly well! What do you mean its on the wrong side! It's on the right side!

Yes well spotted. It is a BMW E39 5 series touring, UK model.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast