Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I put a claim in on Monday because I was getting nowhere with Cingular's Warranty Exchange program; I received 2 phones that had problems. I decided that I was going to switch to Sprint. So, I went to my local state farm where I have a Personal Articles Policy (PAP), and they called their underwriter to make sure that a defective device could be covered. They confirmed it, and put the claim in for me. I then walked down the street to the Sprint store and got a new Treo and service with them. Later that evening State Farm called me for a phone interview that took 5 minutes. I faxed her my receipt for the Sprint purchase and she said she would send out a check the next day. Today (Thursday), I receive the check in the mail.

This was an extremely easy process! She adjuster told me to go into State Farm as soon as possible and list my new Treo on my policy so that if anything goes wrong, they will cover it.

So, I'm debating as to whether or not I will keep the $6/month insurance with Sprint (they offered it free for one month) since my experience with State Farm was so positive. I'll decide on that soon (any feedback is appreciated).

I hope this experience serves to help others. I've been reading how people have had bad experiences, etc with State Farm. One thing to mention: make sure you list your Treo either as a PDA or under Computer Related Equipment. That's what I did. I don't think they cover actual phones any more.

(Also, I asked if I needed to bring the defective Cingular phone in. They said no, it had no resale value, so just keep it). I really like State Farm: no hassles, and fast payment!
    Wow...do they have a limit on how many times you can claim it on your PAP? (i.e. like sprint...I think it's twice a year.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    I asked the adjuster this question, and she said there wasn't a limit. Obviously, if I'm changing Treo's every couple of months they will investigate (as any good insurer should do). I have never had a claim with them and I've had State Farm for nearly a year. I also have State Farm for my renters and auto without claims (just to clarify, PAP and other policies are separate).

There's no way I will abuse it; it's good to know that I have solid coverage with them.
    No it is good to know. It gives other treo users who don't have carrier insurance an option.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    If you don't mind me asking, what's the premium like? I've been meaning to investigate this with my ins. co since I'm sure it's better coverage and may be cheaper, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  6.    #6  
    I paid $35 I believe for it, and it's renewable every year. That's about half of Sprint's charge at $6/month, and there is $0 deductible.

So I'm deciding whether I need Sprint's plan. I mean, it is convenient to know I can go in any corporate Sprint store and get a replacement, but with the turnaround time of State Farm, it may be worth it to keep what I have. Especially since the Treo automatically has a one year warranty exchange whether I have coverage or not.
    I thought State Farm stopped writing PAP policys.

Do you have to have other coverages with them as well?
  8.    #8  
    i can't confirm whether or not they stopped; I'm simply speaking of my current policy and how those with current policies can benefit. You do not HAVE to have other business with them, but it's probably up to each agent to decide to accept you or not. I'm sure someone with other policies is looked more favorably upon, but that is pure speculation and not meant for debate.
  9.    #9  
    Now that I think about it, I think that I will drop the $6/month charge for the insurance and use that money for mobile to mobile savings.

Edit: This is why I love Sprint: I called, and asked to drop the insurance and get the mobile to mobile. I told the guy I'm a new customer and kindly asked if I could get a free month of the mobile to mobile. He checked, and then got back to me with this:

"Hi, I checked and I am not able to give you a free month. Instead, I can give it to you for FREE."

Needless to say, I was blown away. That's good customer service.
    Last edited by lawilson2; 12/22/2005 at 07:13 PM.
    Asurion thru T-mo has been a pain in the A$$. After almost 2 months, I still have not recieved a check from them. At least the paperwork is in accounting... whatever than means.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Using your PAP for a $500 item is foolhardy, especially if you do it more than once. I hope you have a great local agent who will go to bat for you when the underwriters deem you a high risk policy holder and drop ALL your policies. The insurance industry is extremely risk-aversive these days, and being cancelled for seemingly small claims is common.
    I have their PAP covering my Treo, all of my camera equipment (about 6k), all of the underwater housing and lighting equipment for the camera (another 5k), and all of my scuba gear including a special watch with diving functions built-in (another 6k). They've always been fast and easy to deal with on any of my claims. Total premium for all of that is about $200/year.
    I agree with Gasmeister - my experience with insurance companies is that their Homeowner's underwrting practices are typically *very* sensitive to prior claims, much moreso than Auto. The Insurance industry seems to look at Homeowners as something you use only when deperate (multi-thousand dollar claims) rather than all the time as a matter of course.

I don't know specifically about how State Farm works, but I agree with Gas in that one or two small claims on your Homeowner's could potentially impact the ability to be renewed or get new Insurance policies going forward.
    Why on earth do you want to make a claim for a $500 Treo? Are you nuts? Sure Allstate will be very nice about it when you make the claim, but just wait for your next homeowner's renewal. Your premium will go up by well more than the $500. Trust me. I am an insurance lawyer.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    I also have State Farm and have my Treo insured in the same manor. I have used the Cingular warranty exchange quite a few times but seem to have a working Treo now. However, it is nice to know I can easily get a replacement when the warranty runs out if the Treo is broken. Beacuse of the risk in my homeowners going up or being canceled, I would probably have to have a totally broken or stolen Treo to submit a claim. I also only pay $35.00 a year with no deductible.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    Why on earth do you want to make a claim for a $500 Treo? Are you nuts? Sure Allstate will be very nice about it when you make the claim, but just wait for your next homeowner's renewal. Your premium will go up by well more than the $500. Trust me. I am an insurance lawyer.
    You all don't get it. This is NOT under my homeowners, this is NOT under my Renters insurance. PAP is specifically designed for small personal articles. It's a completely separate policy that is not tied to anything in my house. If it was based on my renters, of COURSE I wouldn't make a $500 claim! The PAP is designed to handle these small matters, and frankly it's a good investment for someone like me who takes care of their Treo to have a claim once or twice every two years and only pay $35/year with my other personal articles.
    I think you guys are missing the point. The state farm PAP is not part of the homeowners policy, nor is it a rider on that policy. In fact, previously, and this may be what they have stopped doing, you were able to get a PAP policy without having a Homeowners through them. It could be a separate stand alone insurance without any other State Farm coverage.

A claim made on this will not affect his premiums or homeowners renewal, because they are not realted policies. The whole point in the PAP is to protect against damage and theft of those small items that would normally fall under you deductible, but are high risk enough to need them repalced him something happens.

You guys need to do more research before you start bashing him for doing a smart thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    You all don't get it. This is NOT under my homeowners, this is NOT under my Renters insurance. PAP is specifically designed for small personal articles. It's a completely separate policy that is not tied to anything in my house. If it was based on my renters, of COURSE I wouldn't make a $500 claim! The PAP is designed to handle these small matters, and frankly it's a good investment for someone like me who takes care of their Treo to have a claim once or twice every two years and only pay $35/year with my other personal articles.
    Ahhh...you beat me to it. People are quick to jump on someone for finding a good deal without doing any research into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    I think you guys are missing the point. The state farm PAP is not part of the homeowners policy, nor is it a rider on that policy. In fact, previously, and this may be what they have stopped doing, you were able to get a PAP policy without having a Homeowners through them. It could be a separate stand alone insurance without any other State Farm coverage.

A claim made on this will not affect his premiums or homeowners renewal, because they are not realted policies. The whole point in the PAP is to protect against damage and theft of those small items that would normally fall under you deductible, but are high risk enough to need them repalced him something happens.

You guys need to do more research before you start bashing him for doing a smart thing.
    Exactly. Some people just don't know how to read. PAP has NOTHING TO DO WITH A HOMEOWNERS POLICY. You don't need to have ANY other insurance with SF.

Also, you have a $0 deductible with State Farm and a $50 deductible with Sprint. So not only are you paying over twice the pemiums with Sprint, but you're also getting killed on the deductible.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    I put a claim in on Monday because I was getting nowhere with Cingular's Warranty Exchange program; I received 2 phones that had problems. I decided that I was going to switch to Sprint. So, I went to my local state farm where I have a Personal Articles Policy (PAP), and they called their underwriter to make sure that a defective device could be covered. They confirmed it, and put the claim in for me. I then walked down the street to the Sprint store and got a new Treo and service with them. Later that evening State Farm called me for a phone interview that took 5 minutes. I faxed her my receipt for the Sprint purchase and she said she would send out a check the next day. Today (Thursday), I receive the check in the mail.

This was an extremely easy process! She adjuster told me to go into State Farm as soon as possible and list my new Treo on my policy so that if anything goes wrong, they will cover it.

So, I'm debating as to whether or not I will keep the $6/month insurance with Sprint (they offered it free for one month) since my experience with State Farm was so positive. I'll decide on that soon (any feedback is appreciated).

I hope this experience serves to help others. I've been reading how people have had bad experiences, etc with State Farm. One thing to mention: make sure you list your Treo either as a PDA or under Computer Related Equipment. That's what I did. I don't think they cover actual phones any more.

(Also, I asked if I needed to bring the defective Cingular phone in. They said no, it had no resale value, so just keep it). I really like State Farm: no hassles, and fast payment!

I'm very surprised how they handle the claim. A few months ago, I dropped my Treo and it stopped working. I called them up, submited the claim, received a call later from the them for a short interview as well, and they asked me to take the phone to a repair shop, so they can get an estimate on damages. I even told them that the screen was broken, but they still wanted me to get something in writting from a repair shop. So, I had no choice, I had to run around find a repair shop and get some paperwork. After that, of course they paid, but....the whole thing with running around sucked.

The guy on the phone, kinda mentioned, that in case the phone is lost, it's a easier process....don't know what that means..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast