Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Exactly. Some people just don't know how to read. PAP has NOTHING TO DO WITH A HOMEOWNERS POLICY. You don't need to have ANY other insurance with SF.

Also, you have a $0 deductible with State Farm and a $50 deductible with Sprint. So not only are you paying over twice the pemiums with Sprint, but you're also getting killed on the deductible.
    Actually, it has everything to do with your homeowner's policy. When you first applied for your homeowner's you probably filled out an application (or your agent did on your behalf). That application asked about any insurance claims you have made in the past 5 yrs (3 yrs in some states) under ANY insurance policy. When you renew your insurance you (whether you know it or not) reaffirm everything in your prior application. Thus, you are generally under a duty to inform your homeowner's insurer of any claims you make under any other insurance policy - even with another company.

The point is that it is stupid to make claims for such small amounts because they WILL come back to haunt you.

Ok, that is more than enough free legal advice for today. . . back to paying clients.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    So, by your own admission, participating in Lockline's insurance program would also raise your homeowner's premiums if you filed a claim with them. Let's review:

1. Lockline, $72/year, $50/claim deductible
    2. SF PAP, $35/year, $0/claim deductible
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    Actually, it has everything to do with your homeowner's policy. When you first applied for your homeowner's you probably filled out an application (or your agent did on your behalf). That application asked about any insurance claims you have made in the past 5 yrs (3 yrs in some states) under ANY insurance policy. When you renew your insurance you (whether you know it or not) reaffirm everything in your prior application. Thus, you are generally under a duty to inform your homeowner's insurer of any claims you make under any other insurance policy - even with another company.

The point is that it is stupid to make claims for such small amounts because they WILL come back to haunt you.

Ok, that is more than enough free legal advice for today. . . back to paying clients.
    ok one more legal advice: if the phone is lost, a police report has to be filled or only if it's stolen? I had this argument with a friend of mine yesterday
    So, by your own admission, participating in Lockline's insurance program would also raise your homeowner's premiums if you filed a claim with them. Let's review:

Exaclty....apparently Benjami's legal advice is worth exactly what we paid for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    Exaclty....apparently Benjami's legal advice is worth exactly what we paid for it.
    Too funny.

You guys apparently just don't get it. ANY claim you file will have some effect on you HO policy (or renters). So, why even have insurance for such a low cost item? I stand by my statement that the $500 you collect on any such policy will end up costing you in the long run. I am not saying one policy is any better than any other. I'm just saying, from a consumer point of view, insurance on anything under about a thousand dollars or so is going to hurt in the long run.

By the way, I should clarify so there are no misunderstandings. I am not giving anyone any actual legal advice here - just common sense. It is also in the wrong forum too.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    So should I get this insurance thing for my treo or not??
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by mutantblack
    So should I get this insurance thing for my treo or not??
    I think you should research it and make the decision on your own. Go into your agent (auto/home/renter) and ask him/her if they carry such a policy. Then call your carrier and find out the cost, and compare the two.

I'm a person who isn't classified as a high risk user (I'm very careful with my equipment), so paying 4-$6/month is money wasted for me, not counting a $50 deductible. I have a one year warranty, and if my warranty doesn't help me out (as in my case with Cingular), then I turn to my insurer (and to be honest, I really don't want my warranty and insurance with the same company).

The idea that you shouldn't make a claim on your Treo is silly. They wouldn't offer the insurance if they didn't have underwriters who would be willing to cover it. They are banking on your warranty taking care of most of the problems, which saves them money (which is why they are in business). So weigh your options carefully, consider the type of user you are, and then go with the best value for YOU. In my case, State Farm was the best value. If I had a more active job, kids around the house, etc, and my Treo was prone to be broken more, I would probably get Sprint's deal so that I wouldn't exhaust my PAP Policy (I have other things on my PAP, such as my digital camera, laptop, etc). I hope that helps; we can't decide for you, but hopefully you are given the tools needed to make an informed decision.
    what is the point of having insurance if you are not going to file a claim? Of course insurance is a money loseing business transaction. The math is easy...

((insurer fees)+(deductables))-(admin fees)-(employee costs)-(stock dividens)-(executive bonuses)-(perks)-(coffee & donuts)-???=(total $ claims paid)

One always get less from insurance than one pays out, at least as a group. This money for claims does not magically appear from somewhere and employees don't work for free.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    ok one more legal advice: if the phone is lost, a police report has to be filled or only if it's stolen? I had this argument with a friend of mine yesterday
    still waitting for a reply on this
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    still waitting for a reply on this
    rbenjami is done giving out bogus legal information. LOL I believe that Lockline requires a police report to be filed but my SF PAP policy doesn't mention it.

BTW, the annual premium for the SF PAP policy is $30/year. I'm pretty sure that it's good for up to $2000. You can add more than that, but then the premium goes up slightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    You guys apparently just don't get it. ANY claim you file will have some effect on you HO policy (or renters). So, why even have insurance for such a low cost item? I stand by my statement that the $500 you collect on any such policy will end up costing you in the long run. I am not saying one policy is any better than any other. I'm just saying, from a consumer point of view, insurance on anything under about a thousand dollars or so is going to hurt in the long run.

By the way, I should clarify so there are no misunderstandings. I am not giving anyone any actual legal advice here - just common sense. It is also in the wrong forum too.
    Sorry guys, I have to agree with our legal beagle here. It is not legal advice, just past experience. When you make a claim under any policy, somehow ALL of the insurers seem to know about it, especially if you have made multiple claims... the size of the claim is almost irrelevant. We speak from experience... you make a claim; they WILL recover the payout somehow, either rapidly (wooops, my policy just doubled in cost) or a wee bit more slowly (woooops, my policy just went up 30% for the coming year). I can absolutely positively guarantee it from personal experience. If it doesn't happen to you, they have somehow missed you. But that seems to be the way things work.

We have an agent/broker who is a really great guy. Some years ago we had a minor problem and sufferred about $800 in damages. He advised NOT to claim... we did NOT and our rate stayed pretty much the same for our HomeOwners policy. Two years late we got hit by lightening... a direct hit. Fried everything in the house. To give you some idea of the extent of the damage... the phone and alarm wiring was VAPOURIZED in places. Total claim was about $45K... make that about $60-$70K in today's dollars. They told us to get everything fixed or estimated (like the stereo gear... fried) and when all was done, they just sent us a check for the whole mess. I had everything that was fried in the garage or basement waiting for an inspector or adjuster to see it... finally I called them and they said that we were such good customers and had such a great history that they weren't going to bother... we could dispose of everything as we saw fit.

I have yet to need the extended warranty offered by the carrier. Besides, my credit card doubles the warranty on my purchases (up to a total of 5 years). Seems to be enough for me.

Out of curiousity... on the Treo 650, what type of problems are you guys seeing? I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and could swear that its receive sensitivity is noticably poorer than the other cellfones in the house. And I have been having trouble with the BlueTooth as well... not sure if it is the phone of the earphones.

Regards,

Murray Lampert
    Century Small Business Consultants
    You should be seeing better reception than your other phones with the 650. They have pretty strong reception.

You also seem to be talking about homeowner's insurance again. We're not. I've never seen any proof that making a small auto insurance claim (fender bender) will raise your homeowner's rates. Also, in all the years that Lockline has been operating, I've NEVER heard of anyone complaining that their homeowner's, auto, renter's, etc. insurance rates went up after filing a Lockline claim for a lost/stolen/damaged phone. NEVER.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Let's be very clear here.

I am not a lawyer, but rbenjami is completely correct. If you use insurance, you will pay more.

We can argue all day about it, but the only person who will be able to confirm this is lawilson2. I'd love to hear the end of this story in 6-12 months. Higher premiums, period.

-josh
    Quote Originally Posted by lindros2
    Let's be very clear here.

I am not a lawyer, but rbenjami is completely correct. If you use insurance, you will pay more.

We can argue all day about it, but the only person who will be able to confirm this is lawilson2. I'd love to hear the end of this story in 6-12 months. Higher premiums, period.

-josh
    I've used Lockline insurance in the past and never saw a rise in any of my other insurance premiums in the three years since. How's that for clarity?
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    I've used Lockline insurance in the past and never saw a rise in any of my other insurance premiums in the three years since. How's that for clarity?
    Lockline does not equal State Farm.

If it's detached from other policies (standalone through a 'third party') then they won't raise the premium (it's pretty much fixed - but as others stated, there is a deductible and a maximum of twice every such-and-such amount of time).

If you go to State Farm (or Allstate, et al), they can (and oftentimes do) raise your rates - especially in situations like this.
    State Farm is also detached from other policies. You don't need to have any other State Farm insurance or any other insurance of any kind, for that matter. How can State Farm raise rates on policies that you either don't have or have through other carriers?
    A lot of cracksmokin' going on here.

I've been in insurance for over 20 years.

Auto is auto, homeowners is homeowners, and other is other (ex. PAP, etc.). Never the twain shall meet. (a claim on one type will not affect the other).

If it is, switch insurance companies, as they are trying to arse reap ya.

The "attorney" who says this (benny?), plus all the other pundits, are rediculous.
    I'm glad I'm not a paying customer; that would be like paying a blind man to be a photographer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    A lot of cracksmokin' going on here.

I've been in insurance for over 20 years.

Auto is auto, homeowners is homeowners, and other is other (ex. PAP, etc.). Never the twain shall meet. (a claim on one type will not affect the other).

If it is, switch insurance companies, as they are trying to arse reap ya.

The "attorney" who says this (benny?), plus all the other pundits, are rediculous.
    I'm glad I'm not a paying customer; that would be like paying a blind man to be a photographer.
    Exactly. They're even trying to claim that your PAP policy with SF will affect your auto rates with Progressive or your homeowners rates with Allstate.
    Amen, Brother 2000. Glad to see TC is not void of those with some common sense and experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast