Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    O.k. reloaded VolumeCare 5.05, waited a couple of minutes and powered up the phone. It worked fine. Waited about ten more minutes and sure nuff... it reset when I turned on the phone. Phone a little slower but not as bad as previous experiences.

The Error log reports the problem occured when running "network"; fatal exception. I've since deleted VolumeCare 5.05 from the Treo and re-installed 4.3. It's been about twenty minutes since and no reset.

There's got to be a glitch in the update.
    So let me try to understand.

• The slowdowns people are having are only when you are in the phone application? No other place?
    • For those having a slowdown, does the slowdown stop if you leave the phone application?
    • How about if you go into an application that does not ahve a phone signal strength indicator?
    • Are there any CDMA users having the problem?
    • Any GSM users having the problem?
    • Do you have the App Volume feature enabled?
    • Is the phone application selected by any chance in the "Selected Application list"?
    Jeff

EDITs: I have the code open right now looking for a problem. It would really help to know if the problems stop if you disable the App Volume feature.
    Last edited by jeffgibson; 12/22/2005 at 08:37 PM.
    I changed a few things that may help. Can people give this version a try and let me know if it helps.

http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...p=getit&lid=28

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcgirt
    I upgraded from 4.46 to 5.04 and saw no effect at all. It sounds to me like some app is filling up the cache and the cache is not getting updated or cleared properly - especially since this happens over a period of time and a soft reset restores the performance. This can happen when a legacy Palm app has not been upgraded to OS 5 and does not handle the cache mamagement properly.

I would suggest getting something like MemoryInfo and running it say every 15-30 minutes during the 2-3hr degradation period and see what happens to the cache and heap.

Frank
    This is probably a very good observation! I have no real explanation for this behavior. I have both CDMA and GSM phones in my test lab. I can not reproduce this slowdown or any of the symptoms people are reporting. I do however fully believe this problem is happening to people. I really want to find the trigger! Obviously something is causing this to happen but the ultimate "bug" is in the Palm operating system. So this will be a very tricky one to detect and fix.

So what I suggest is the following. For those having the problem please post:

• The software that runs in the back ground on your Treo
    • does the problem start when you go from a Treo power/screen off state to a screen on state
    • does the problem start some period of time after the screen has been turned on
    • What is your signal strength at the time the problem starts
    • Do you have the App Volume feature enabled?
    For those that can make this problem happen on almost "command" would you be willing to send me a complete backup of your device so I can attempt to reproduce the problem on my unlocked GSM Treo?

Jeff
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked PalmOne GSM 650 (See my signature below) and I have not experienced this problem. I've upgraded to the EA VC versions almost as soon as they are posted.

Could the firmware version be an issue?
    Apart from the installed software, it may be useful to note which firmware you are also running.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Jeff... I'll try it later this afternoon (Friday). Got no idea if I'm right or not but it appears with my phone the problem lies with the running of network and VolumeCare.

The slowdown was with the phone operation. The resets I experienced were also only related to powering up the phone. It acted as if it was struggling to re-establish a connection with the network and when it couldn't, it reset.

GSM phone by the way from Cingular. I'll let you know something later today. Sorry I can test it out sooner.
    Ok... things are going better than expected this morning. I've found time to load 5.07. It's been about ten minutes and will see what happens.
    Well after about fifteen minutes of being installed, the only odd effect I've noticed is that when you power up the phone, the screen blinks white then goes to the dial pad. So far no resets or major slow downs.

I'm not running VolumeCare for apps (never did), just for Handset, Speakerphone, Headset and Mic in Advanced Mode.
    So far so good.. no resets. The only quirck that is present is the blink. The longer the phone stays dormant, the more pronounced the blink becomes.

I've got to go out of town for the morning and will "road" test it. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop
    So far so good.. no resets. The only quirck that is present is the blink. The longer the phone stays dormant, the more pronounced the blink becomes.

I've got to go out of town for the morning and will "road" test it. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks for all of your updates! The blink is strange. VC is not doing anything to make this happen. In fact, if you do not have App Mode enabled, VC does not do anything until you either start a phone call or you get a phone call.

Keep the posts coming.....

Jeff
    CopperTop - probably not, but do you happen to use any Phone Overlays like the one that lets you Select Network?
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToTech
    CopperTop - probably not, but do you happen to use any Phone Overlays like the one that lets you Select Network?
    Not at all!

I have verified a new problem in VolumeCare that has been corrected in Version 5.08. It is a reset caused by an invalid card number error.

5.08 is posted to my EA download site: http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...p=getit&lid=28

Thanks to everyone's help, VolumeCare is going to be rock solid!!! A few more days of this intensive testing and I will feel comforatable releasing another official build of VC.

Jeff
    Jeff ... Just got back in town and hadn't had a reset yet. The blink that I described has settled down. I used the phone, checked voicemail, used Xpressmail and checked the weather forecast off the 'net. Seems to be working fine.

I'll download and update to 5.08 and see where it takes me.
    That didn't take long. Installed 5.08 and let the phone sit for a bit.

Went to turn it on and it reset. Log indicates it was reset while running network; fatal exception.

Went most of the day yesterday running 4.3 and most of today running 5.07 with no resets. I wonder if there's anything that builds up within the program that would trigger the resets?

I deleted 5.08 and re-installed 5.07. No resets so far but the blink is more evident than it was before I moved to 5.08. Still random but noticeable.

No screen overlay (unless a screen protector counts) and still haven't activated the apps option.

Side Question... anyone know what SS_P2P is?
    Jeff.... don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but 5.07 crashed a little bit ago. I hadn't used the phone in about an hour and when I turned it on it reset and was slow when reset.

Admittedly I may have a hardware issue and it could be coincidence that my headaches started when I update VolumeCare. I've got a new Treo coming from Cingular and will let you know if I continue to have these issues after I reload onto that unit.
    Jeff.... don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but 5.07 crashed a little bit ago. I hadn't used the phone in about an hour and when I turned it on it reset and was slow when reset.

Admittedly I may have a hardware issue and it could be coincidence that my headaches started when I update VolumeCare. I've got a new Treo coming from Cingular and will let you know if I continue to have these issues after I reload onto that unit.
    5.07 did have a reset in it! There is a 5.08 available.

Jeff
    I tried 5.08 and the first time I turned the phone on it reset.

Could there be something residual on the Treo when I delete and install the more recent versions? When the resets occur, I simply delete the application and re-install a previous version.

If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll hard reset again and load 5.08. The last few hard resets I've reverted to 4.3 and haven't experienced any problems.

Also... help me out if you will... when I perform a hard reset is there a way to hot sync without reinstalling the backed up files? I can create another user identity but that will mess up some of the software registrations I have. What would happen if I delete the back up file on my PC? Is there such a thing as a clean hot sync?
    Last edited by coppertop; 12/23/2005 at 07:55 PM.
    An update here.... I've been using VC since 4.4x and have tried 5.0, 5.01, 5.02, 5.03, 5.04, 5.05, 5.06, 5.07, and now 5.08... no problems... no slow down, now resets. I am NOT using Appl Mode. just an fyi.
    Communications is the toughest thing we do.
    unlocked Cingular (GSM) Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
    I tried 5.08 and the first time I turned the phone on it reset.

Could there be something residual on the Treo when I delete and install the more recent versions? When the resets occur, I simply delete the application and re-install a previous version.

If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll hard reset again and load 5.08. The last few hard resets I've reverted to 4.3 and haven't experienced any problems.

Also... help me out if you will... when I perform a hard reset is there a way to hot sync without reinstalling the backed up files? I can create another user identity but that will mess up some of the software registrations I have. What would happen if I delete the back up file on my PC? Is there such a thing as a clean hot sync?
    You first need to disable the current version before you install the new version. Can you tell me what the #*377(##377) screen says? Another thing to check is the About VolumeCare screen to make sure you are running the version you think you loaded.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by ghuber
    An update here.... I've been using VC since 4.4x and have tried 5.0, 5.01, 5.02, 5.03, 5.04, 5.05, 5.06, 5.07, and now 5.08... no problems... no slow down, now resets. I am NOT using Appl Mode. just an fyi.
    Thanks for the post!

Jeff
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast