1.    #1  
    My Treo has begun resetting itself randomly when the cellphone is turned on. The log indicates that the reset was caused while running Network; fatal exception.

I called Cingular and they suggested a hard reset and replace the sim card; wait a few hours and see if the device was still acting up. I was advised to not sync the unit with the PC until I called.

Hours passed and no reset. I called Cingular and was told they would send me a replacement unit. They didn't worry about the hot sync... just went right into the replacement process.

It was a strange experience. They asked if I had submerged the unit or thrown it down. I told the rep that it had some knicks and scrapes from normal use but I didn't drop it in the tub or kicked it across the room.

Anyone have experience with the Express Replacement Service from Cingular? When they get the unit and see a scratch are they going to go ballistic?

Hopefully this will end the saga of the random resets. Now I just have to figure out how to do a clean hotsync.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop
    Anyone have experience with the Express Replacement Service from Cingular? When they get the unit and see a scratch are they going to go ballistic?
    Don't sweat it. I've had three of them through Express Replacement.
    You may or may not get a refurb, but either way, they should seem like new. If you check the Life Timer, you may find some minutes on there (although I had one phone that said 0 minutes).

I doubt they will go berserk over a tiny scratch. Anything medium sized and they may question it, but overall, Cingular is more than aware of reset/crashing issues with this phone.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    they are more concerned with cracked screens, housings, etc. Other than that should be fine.
    Sure your SIM wasn't slightly loose? I had some weird GSM Modem responding issues before I shimmed my SIM. I would occationally have the phone turn off completely, but not very often. But the GSM Modem Responding issue went away as soon as I shimmed my SIM.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    How come you guys go to Cingular for treo problems? Ive never went to them but called palm and theyve been sending me new phones everytimes my treo clunks out on me...

Ive gone thru 6 Treo 600's and they now upgraded me to a 650 last week.

Would it be more beneficial for me to go thru Cingualr instead?
    Can you post the number you're using to call Palm? I think I need to call them instead of cingular this time....
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Sure, the number is (813) 313-4913
  8.    #8  
    Ok... I've narrowed down my reset nightmares to the latest version of Volumecare (5.05). When I reverted to the older version (4.3) the resets went away. Didn't have any all yesterday afternoon.

Called Cingular to stop the Exchange Phone and was told that it was already shipped. I was advised I can always return the Exchange Phone if the one I have is working to my satisfaction.

Hence the question... do I keep the Exchange Phone or send it back? What happens if Cingular gets my phone and can't replicate the problems I've had? Am I worrying too much about this?
  9.    #9  
    Spoke too soon. My Treo started random resets again this evening. It's either being caused by the software versions or just coincendence.
    Did you try the "paper behind the SIM card" trick?

Sound like that could be your problem.
  11.    #11  
    Tried the paper behind the SIM card. First try, too tight and had to pry the tray out. Second try, not so tight but the problem persisted.
    Definitly dont worry about palm testing to see what the problem was etc etc.

Once you get your new phone your in the clear.
    Put your old phone in the box they provide and call for free pick-up. Few other transactions in your life will be as easy, IMHO. I am not the only 600 owner who was surprised with a shiny new 650 when the orange splotch of death spread across the 600's screen. Worry about global warming, not the lovely and trusing people at Express Replacement.
    Express replacement is great. Cingular did it for me with my old nokia phone. I think all companies should send you the replacement before asking for the old one. Oddly enough, they only sent me the internal parts of my nokia, so I had to switch the housing myself. scratches on the case wouldn't have been an issue...
  15.    #15  
    After working on it all weekend I think I have fixed the random resets. Conflict between Volumecare and Xpressmail or just Xpressmail by itself.

Got the Exchange Treo this afternoon. It's refurbished with 11,290 minutes on it. I've got a day or so before I decide but I am inclined to keep my Treo with 138 minutes and tell Cingular thanks but no thanks.
  16.    #16  
    Ok.... did some number crunching. My math isn't the best so if my numbers are off a little forgive me.

While the Treo 650 that Cingular sent me was refurbished.... it had 11,290 minutes on the life timer.

Using the phone constantly, 24 hours a day, this is equal to 7.8 days of continuous use.

Using the phone constantly during an 8 hour work day, that would make the phone almost 4 years old.

The oldest date of release I could find on the Treo was October of 2004. If this phone was one of the first manufactured it averaged 26.5 minutes (approx.) per day.

Cingular first began offering the phone around the first of this year, for argument sake say January 1, 2005. This would increase the average use per day to 30.9 minutes (approx.) per day.

Question.... who uses their phone this much? Also, where does Cingular justify replacing a two month old phone with 138 minutes with a refurbished one so old? If I don't return the phone or send in my phone, I will be charged a replacement fee of $420. How can they justify this when refurbished phones go for under $200?

Don't get me wrong. The Express Exchange service is a lifesaver if your phone dies. A refurbished phone is far better than one that doesn't work. However, I still can't help but Cingular is sticking it to the consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop
    After working on it all weekend I think I have fixed the random resets. Conflict between Volumecare and Xpressmail or just Xpressmail by itself.

Got the Exchange Treo this afternoon. It's refurbished with 11,290 minutes on it. I've got a day or so before I decide but I am inclined to keep my Treo with 138 minutes and tell Cingular thanks but no thanks.
    I have not had a reset in 6 days. The one's before used to nuke the preferences. Very annoying.

I did the following:

1. Locked Xpressmail into memory using Resco Locker
    2. Uninstalled Volumecare (hopefully a temporary step).
    3. I launch no programs from SD card myself. DocToGo and Handmark Express, who manage their own files on SD card continue to do so.
    4. Use Resco Explorer from The pHone RAM. I have a copy on card (to restore it's backup from the card, if needed), but I launch the one in the RAM.
    5. Installed PalmPDF to the RAM and moved it to card using it's built-in mechanism instaead of installing it directly to the card.

I have been avoiding applications on the card as being the default handlers of files. This is based largely on a post by the Developer of Resco Explorer (Jan Slodicka) in his forum:

===
    Preferences are as a rule accessed via high-level services that perform the whole sequence open - edit - close in one go and do not rely on a cached pointer.

This error means that the opening of the PrefsDB failed. The most frequent problem I met is actually a Palm OS bug that is for some reason ignored for years, despite the correction is really trivial and a matter of minutes.

The source of the problem:
    You (probably) installed some viewer (reader, player etc.) on the card and set it as the default handler (or more probably: that application did it by itself) without using so-called shortcut.

Shortcut is a small placeholder program in RAM that just points to the real application on the card. The problem is that without the shortcut the Palm OS does not see the app on the card.

"Shortcut" is a terminology used by ZLauncher and some other 3rd party launchers. They offer this functionality (i.e. the shortcut creation), while standard Palm OS launcher does not.

When you use e.g. an e-mail program (or another program offering the list of recipients of say jpeg or mp3 files), then Palm OS tries to construct this list. But due to a bug it forgets to close to preferences database. So the PrefsDB remains open and the next trial to use it (a fully unrelated use!) will crash.

How to solve it:

1. Resco Explorer offers Menu / Tools / Repair associations. This will delete associations causing described problem. It will report # of bad entries - if this number is non-zero, then this was probably the problem.

2. Point 1 does not remove the reason as the bad conditions can be restored. Check the apps installed on the card. Make sure that either they use shortcuts, or move them to the RAM.
    ======
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A