Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    okay, dumb question maybe...

I see all of you that dump Versamail, but I dont see why. A lot of you are using Snappermail or some other 3rd party mail. Why is this? Versamail works good for me, but then again I dont have any experience with other software.
    Ditto

I use VersaMail, it does what I want and I have had no problem with it. I have my 4 home email accounts (Mom, Dad, 2 daughters) and one business email set up.

VersaMail is a "pull" system, rather than a "push" system that many people are looking for and others have had problems setting their accounts up with their carriers -- so this is why, many here, have less than good things to say about VersaMail.

Cheers, Perry.
  3. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I'm also using VersaMail. We use an Exchange server at work and automatically updating my calendar, and responding to meeting requests works great (creating them would be nice too but anyway...) It does occaisonally get screwed up and need to retrieve all data again from the server but since I've got Edge it only takes a minute or so anyway. I've got it set up to poll my mail server every 1/2 hour and it's really good enough for me as most people don't really expect email responses to be instant anyway.
    No problems with VersaMail here. (No reason to dump it, at least.) It does what I need it to do. The interface is good. And it doesn't crash my Treo. I can't imagine what I'd need it to do that it doesn't do.

Sometimes it says it "timed out" trying to grab some mail, but another "Get" gets it. And I suppose I wish Contacts and VersaMail worked more seamlessly... But I really can't complain about VersaMail.

-Kirk
  5. lua
    i use both versamail and realplayer and have been trouble free so far. don't know why people like to put these two down so much.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    Same - Versamail has worked fine for me with an IMAP and Exchange account.
    Quote Originally Posted by lua
    i use both versamail and realplayer and have been trouble free so far. don't know why people like to put these two down so much.
    I don't personally have a problem with it but some have reported having memory/reset issues with it and have moved on to something else.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I used VersaMail on my 600 (Had to buy it) and then on my 650. It was fine, until it stopped removing mail from the server if I marked ot to delete. I was frustrated one night and just tried Chatter for a few minutes and found some real advantages. The main one, it sends mail in the background. I can send a message and then move to another app. I don't have to wait and watch the update status. Second it uses the ringtones database for notification sounds not the old system midi sounds. Along with that in silent mode it will vibrate on receiving a message. For those with multiple accounts there is a summary screen so you can see all you mail from one screen. When doing a manual check of mail you can choose one account or all accounts at once, very nice. there is more and more but for me VersaMail was fine until I used Chatter for one night.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Versamail works quite well for me, but current v3.0C functions MUCH more reliably than earlier versions.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    I used VersaMail on my 600 (Had to buy it) and then on my 650. It was fine, until it stopped removing mail from the server if I marked ot to delete. I was frustrated one night and just tried Chatter for a few minutes and found some real advantages. The main one, it sends mail in the background. I can send a message and then move to another app. I don't have to wait and watch the update status. Second it uses the ringtones database for notification sounds not the old system midi sounds. Along with that in silent mode it will vibrate on receiving a message. For those with multiple accounts there is a summary screen so you can see all you mail from one screen. When doing a manual check of mail you can choose one account or all accounts at once, very nice. there is more and more but for me VersaMail was fine until I used Chatter for one night.

Thanks, for the update! Does Chatter have a free trial period?

Cheers, Perry.
    Only thing Versamail does not do that I wish it would is save email on the SD card.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I have not dumped Versamail and, in fact, am a happy user of it. It has it's occasional glitches, but nothing major. The other programs (like Snapper or Chatter) seem to be preferred by folks who need to get their email in a pretty constant stream. I check mine a few times a day and Versamail is just fine for that.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    I'll join in for the Versamail love fest....I use it too...works fine for the 2 email accounts I have setup (1 work, the other BellSouth). I don't need push email. It seems to work better since the last fw/sw update too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Thanks, for the update! Does Chatter have a free trial period?

Cheers, Perry.
    Yes, it is 30 days.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    I have used Snappermail since I had a Kyocera 7135 a few years ago. I find it to be very effective for me. The older e-mail programs were not as customizable as Snappermail. One of the best features is it allows you to store messages on the memory card, freeing up memory in the handheld and allowing one to retain messages for a long time. Also, I like the feature to "junk" which allows one to delete messages off the server and the handheld at the same time. I check my e-mail before driving to work and clear out the junk so I don't have to deal with them when I get to work (you can also delete off the server and retain on the handheld, or delete off the handheld and keep on the server).

Another nice feature is the ability to create additional folders. I have a personal and work e-mail account flowing to my handheld. Snappermail allows me to route them to specific folders based on which account is downloading the e-mail.

Snappermail has good preferences options. A really nice feature is the ability to map the e-mail button to send/receive when pressed while in Snappermail. It also works with most third party applications for viewing attachments.
    I dropped Versamail for two reasons: No push. No multiple IMAP folder support (that I could see).

I am hooked on Chattermail and its Summary page with color-coding for each mail box account and sub-folder. The push technology is gravy - AWESOME email app! Be sure you have unlimited internet though...it is, well....chatty.
    versamail is garbage, and all the people i personally know that have it agree also. nothing but problems,causing resets, constantly re-doing accounts because i had to delete all versamail files and start from scratch and it opened attachments whenever it felt like it........no....snappermail is the one for me, 5 months now and no problems whatsoever, WORSE-a-mail R.I.P. !!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    I would use Versamail but their signature file is limited in space and my company requires a long signature... so I use Snappermail.
    Versamail is cool by me..................
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    I also use Versamail. I have tried Agendus Mail and used it at my formerly Tungsten's. Now I concider it useless - Versamail does the trick for me.

I think maybe I understand the "Push/ Pull" technology, but I would be most grateful if someone could point me to a source of information regarding this...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast