1. dme
    Wasn't sure whether this should go here or in "Accessories," but I thought more people might see it here:

I am a college professor who is thinking about podcasting my lectures next semester. It occurred to me that I might be able to use my new Treo 650 to record my lectures. I know the Treo can record voice memos, but I'm not sure what to use for a microphone. So:

(a) How's the voice recording quality on the Treo? Will the Treo balk at me trying to record a 75 minute lecture to an SD card?

(b) Does anybody know of a good external microphone to use? Ideally, I'd love a lapel mic that I could plug into the Treo and record directly to the Treo. Or I suppose even a wireless mic would work. Could I use a BT headset to record to the Treo?

Thanks for your help.
    As far as I know, only commercial voice recording software can record directly to the SD card in real-time. Here's one worth trying:
    http://software.treonauts.com/product.asp?id=827

Fortunately the memory requirements of compressed voice are relatively modest if a good codec is used. If you use a codec designed for speech (not for music), then 8kbps is sufficient. This means that your 75 minute lecture will only consume about 5MB.

I have little experience with respect to recording voice and using mics on the Treo, but I have a fair amount of experience with (desktop) voice recognition software and mics.

I think that a lavalier mic (aka a lapel mic) is a good solution for you, although you might also consider a traditional wired computer headset. Using bluetooth will leave you very frustrated with regard to voice quality.

I recommend talking to the folks at emicrophones.com. I have no affiliation with them, etc., but have used them for voice recognition microphones.

Don't forget to use the Seidio 2.5->3.5mm adapter, not the Palm one.

HTH...
  3. dme
    Thanks, Jae. Sorry for the noob questions, but I just want to try and make sure I have this correct.

Can the headphone jack at the bottom of the Treo be used as an "audio in" jack? If I plug a microphone into that jack, will I be able to record to the Treo?
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by dme
    Thanks, Jae. Sorry for the noob questions, but I just want to try and make sure I have this correct.

Can the headphone jack at the bottom of the Treo be used as an "audio in" jack? If I plug a microphone into that jack, will I be able to record to the Treo?

Sorry for my slow response. I used to have a lot of mics around for voice recognition, but the few that I have now are rarely tested. I was finally able to find one that worked with my PC, but I wasn't able to get it to work with the 3.5mm Seidio adapter+Treo650. I won't say categorically that it doesn't work, but I wasn't able to make it work.

Here are some other options which plug directly into the 2.5mm jack, and should work (after all, the microphone/headset provided by Palm works):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...bosnation0e-20
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/...350MP/REG/1470

I suggest calling the latter company to see when they'll have the lavalier mic in stock.

HTH...
    Last edited by jae_63; 12/30/2005 at 11:47 AM. Reason: clarity