1.    #1  
    I copied Saved Preferences.prc from RAM to a folder on SD card using Explorer and FileZ. The copies were made within seconds of each other.

The files have different names on the SD card (but that was explained in a separate thread earlier). However, the file sizes and # of records in them were very different as well. Why?

Here are the details:

Saved by FileZ:
    Name: Saved Preferences.prc
    Type: sprf
    Creator: psys
    Size: 33810 b, 236 records

Saved by Explorer:
    Name: Saved%20Preferences.prc
    Type: sprf
    Creator: psys
    Size: 79092 b, 278 records

The Unsaved Preferences.prc sizes are different too.
    Saved by FileZ: 52 K
    Saved by Explorer: 32 K

What's the explanation for these differences?

I use these files to restore the preferences after recent crashes that result in lost preferences. I would like to know if the 2 programs (FileZ and Explorer) are equally reliable in saving and restoring these files.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Try this before jumping to any conclusions:

Copy the "Saved Preferences.prc" file with FileZ, then exit the program and open Resco. Do not save the same file with Resco. Instead use Resco to save a different .prc file, then exit. Open FileZ again, and save the "Saved Preferences.prc" file again, but under a different name or folder. Finally compare those two copies of the same file, both copied by FileZ, and see if they are the identical or not.

I have a feeling that FileZ or Resco is saving info to the saved preferences file at some point (as certain apps do), which is causing the file to grow and/or shrink in between switching/using apps to make copies.

Honestly, I wouldnt worry. Whatever you copy it with, that last copy is going to be the most current. Also, if you hotsync regularly you have a copy there too.
  3.    #3  
    The size of Saved Preferences in my Backup folder (on pc) is 34K, similar to the size saved by FileZ.

I have asked Resco for an explanation as well. Let's see what they say about this...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  4.    #4  
    Can anyone else duplicate my results?

Copy Saved Preferences and Unsaved Preferences from RAM to a directory on the SD card using Resco Explorer. Now check the file properties (size, # of records) of the files in RAM and card using Explorer File Info.

Do you see any differences?
    Last edited by aprasad; 12/28/2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: more info
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I tried to copy save pref to my card by using filez and rescoexplorer.

Nothing Different in size or record items.