Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    What are some of the BT headsets that have a long boom that work well ?? As you know the longer the boom the better the sound quality will be for the person on the other line as the boom is closer to the mouth. Thanks for any info. God Bless.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Wow! Someone who wants function over fashion? I'm amazed someone realizes there cn be a tradeoff here! Sorry, had to vent...

I have a Logitech Mobile Pro (swing-out boom) and am very happy with it. If I use it in the car (Mustang Cobra, so it ain't quiet) with the foam windscreen on and the windows up at highway speed, the other end doesn't know I'm on a headset.

If the window is cracked at highway speed, they hear some background noise but can hear me fine. W/ window all the way down at 70, I have to talk a little loudly, but my receiving volume is more of a prob than my mic quality. If I'm outside w/ a 5 mph breeze w/o the foam windstop, it's almost useless. That help?
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Alot of people say the Sony Ericsson HBH300 is supposed to be pretty good as well.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Well at work we use the Plantronics CS50 900Mhz wireless headsets and they have a long boom and nice sound quality. Also the range of those things are suppose to be 300 feet, I have used one not that far but about 75 feet or so !!! Currently I have both the Plantronics 510 and 640 both are very good for having a short boom and sound great in quiet to moderate environments, but long booms seem to be the best for noisey environments. Are the HBH-300 and Logitech the only 2 long boom BT Headsets ?? Thanks again for any info. God Bless.
    +1 for the Logitech Mobile Pro. I'm pretty satisfied with mine.

ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    hbh-300 all the way, that and the logitech mobile are the 2 best sound quality. Bulkier, but sound like you are always in the office I had both. Stuck with the hbh-300 because you can put it in your pocket. It's long but slim.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeluna
    What are some of the BT headsets that have a long boom that work well ?? As you know the longer the boom the better the sound quality will be for the person on the other line as the boom is closer to the mouth. Thanks for any info. God Bless.
    I am rapidly becoming a BlueTooth headphone expert here (I think). I need HELP! Here's what I have tried and my review of same:
    1. First the Motorola HS850 - seemed to work alright but the following morning it needed to be re-connected to the 650. The Pushbutton is not very tactile. Today it just shut down in the middle of a conversation, having been fully charged overnight.

2. Plantronics 2500 - the most comfortable to wear, so far this model places the mic closes to my mounth. Battery life excellent. Same as HS850 it seems to want to be 're-connected' to the 650 all the time (at least every morning). BIG complaint from other end... audio is very poor.

3. Motorola HS500 - In desperation, I purchased a Motorola HS500 today in PINK. The heck with it. I need a bluetooth earpiece that works! And I need it very badly. Got home and plugged the unit in for a 2 - 3 hour charge before using as directed in the 'manual'. Lo and behold, the charge light did not even come on. Re-read the manual and it says to allow a minute for the light to come on (I can't imagine why).... still, no joy, the battery light simply does not come on. Period.

PLEEEEEZE. Is there anyone out there using a Motorola, Plantronics, Jabra, Treo Bluetooth headset/earpeice that actually works well? Your epinnions would be sincerely appreciated.
    i use the plantronics 640 and Jabra 250.

I would avoid the 250 because it does not interface wiht the 650 well even after the cingular FW update. Response time is slow, does not always connect but the volume and sound quality are very good.

The 640 has much better connection with the 650 and is ver reliable. the volume is a little low, I dont think it is as comfortable as the 250 and the ear jel keeps falling off when it is my pocket. I do like the fact that i can charge it using a Nokia charger since i have a ton of these.

Sorry but i have not found the perfect headset yet. I will be trying the Sony soon.
    Have there been anymore developments in BT devices with a long boom? I would hope the last three years has produced devices with even better receiving quality.

My wife has a hearing loss and that really requires I use a device that can drown out background noise (low-frequency) so she can understand me.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I tried all of the older boom bt units.They worked o.k. at best. However, the Sennheiser BW 900 worked flawlessly for 4-6 months.Now this unit has a problem which I'm trying to solve.But when it was working,this was the best unit by far in my collection.
    don
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    I've tried a similar one from Plantronics, the 815? Basically, it looks the same but without the 2nd earpiece for stereo headset listening. The inbound volume was poor, and the mic did not extend far enough to be close to the mouth, and pointed away instead of toward the mouth.

I've been looking for a replacement for my Plantronics "510 pro" (a regular 510 with an ETY boom mic grafted on it) and haven't found it. The Sennheiser BW 900 looks like it's worthy of a test, but the price is a little steep.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I hope to resolve the problem with the Sennheiser.That unit did circles around the rest.With the top down and the wind blowing,a little wind noise was noticeable on the other end.I can't wait until I have a working BW 900 again.Remember this is the company famous for pro studio headphones and microphones.

don
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    I tried all of the older boom bt units.They worked o.k. at best. However, the Sennheiser BW 900 worked flawlessly for 4-6 months.Now this unit has a problem which I'm trying to solve.But when it was working,this was the best unit by far in my collection.
    don
    Don,
    thanks for that recommendation on the Sennheiser. My wife & I bought 2 of them and we couldn't be happier. On outgoing volume, it's almost as loud as my "510pro" but the noise cancellation is far superior than anything I've tested.

Curious, what was the problem you were having? I figured out the solution to a connectivity issue by keeping the base station unplugged, as it always tries to pair the landline with priority over a mobile phone.

If anyone's interested, I put together 3 files testing a few different headsets (510, 510pro, 520, BW900) with and without background noise. It's pretty impressive how even loud background noise disappears with the BW900. http://www.e-owned.com/thumbnails.php?album=264
    Here's a new one: http://www.joby.com/products/zivio/

Elfyn
    Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfyn View Post
    Here's a new one: http://www.joby.com/products/zivio/

Elfyn
    Very recent reviews on howardforums show great promise for this one. Some stating audio quality on par with my super reliable - but aging - Sony HBH300 boom. Quick searches here and google do not show anyone with a Treo trying this out yet... Joby's website is pretty sparse on real specs and compatibility.

Gonna have to order one soon and try it out. Hopefully some other Treo user has one on the way to report in....

Oh and woot that it uses a standard mini usb connector to charge! Instead of the funky charger connectors that Jawbone and others use.
    Quote Originally Posted by patord View Post
    Very recent reviews on howardforums show great promise for this one. Some stating audio quality on par with my super reliable - but aging - Sony HBH300 boom. Quick searches here and google do not show anyone with a Treo trying this out yet... Joby's website is pretty sparse on real specs and compatibility.

Gonna have to order one soon and try it out. Hopefully some other Treo user has one on the way to report in....

Oh and woot that it uses a standard mini usb connector to charge! Instead of the funky charger connectors that Jawbone and others use.
    After reading the reviews on howardforums and speaking with Customer Service at Joby, I went ahead and ordered one. I was told by Joby that the Zivio should be compatible with the Treos/Centros. The nice thing about Joby is that if the Zivio doesn't work for you or is not compatible with your phone you can return it within 30 days. One of the most discussed things about this headset is Joby's customer service. It is exceptional! They really stand behind their products and will bend over backwards to make sure you are happy.

My Zivio should arrive tomorrow. As soon as I have charged and paired it I will report back as to its functionality and compatibility with Palm (I have a Centro) phones.

Crossing fingers that I may have finally found the ideal bluetooth headset.

Elfyn
    I am happy to report that the Zivio works like a charm with my Palm Centro. I did note that I had to set "hands free" in the Preferences to always route the call to "Hands Free". (I usually have this off).

This is a beautiful little headset and the build quality is very nice. Very nice packaging as well. It does seem that care will be needed with the boom mike so as not to damage it. Hopefully the mike is sturdier than it appears. Also you must be careful when putting the headset on or adjusting it not to push the answer button for too long or you will redial the last number called.

As has been reported incoming audio is loud. I noticed a slight hiss, but found if I adjusted the volume on the phone (lower) the hiss went away. I could then adjust the volume on the Zivio to my liking. The outgoing audio is very good. I called my daughter who is always complaining that my voice cuts in and out when I'm using my other headset. She reported she could hear me perfectly on the Zivio with the boom fully extended. She could also hear me with the boom at half extension and fully pushed in, but quality was best with the boom extended fully.

The fit is very comfortable. There are so many ways to adjust it, ear hook, no ear hook, scoop eargels or mushroom buds it should be pretty easy for most to find a comfortable fit.

Definitely a keeper!

Elfyn