1.    #1  
    If anyone could help me I'd much appreciate it.

for various reasons I've had to reinstall palm desktop. before I did so I make a backup of my usernames folder from within the Palm Desktop folder:

C:\Program Files\palmOne\Swifty

I do this each time I do backups each week. From memory I guess this folder has all the information I need to do backups - well until now that is.

I reinstalled Palm Desktop and then opened it up an started using the File->Import feature to bring in my calendar, contacts, tasks etc. The problem is the date is months old. Some of it SEEMS to be recent, but most seems VERY old. I hot sync several times a day so I cannot see how this can be. And I remember recently looking at the hot sync log and all seems to be fine.

Maybe I'm taking the data from the wrong place...maybe I'm doing something wrong... But if someone could help I'd REALLY appreciate it! There is tons of important data on there I cannot afford to loose....

Thanks!

Swifty
    Are you opening the .dat file or the .aba file for each of the main PIMs. ABA are archived - dat should be current.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  3.    #3  
    whats the best way to open the .dat files?
    I may have assumed too much....

Your path for each of the main databases should be:

C:\Program Files\palmOne\Swifty\address book
    C:\Program Files\palmOne\Swifty\datebook
    C:\Program Files\palmOne\Swifty\memopad
    C:\Program Files\palmOne\Swifty\todo

In each of these folders will be a (or should) a file name in Address.dat, datebook.dat etc.

The dates on those files should be as current as your last backup on your PC based upon the last hotsync.

If you reinstalled the Palm Desktop and kept the exact same user name then the path should be the same as before so your PC backup should be current. Just overwrite the files that are there with those from the backup.

Also, if the 650 still has it's data on it - the Palm Desktop installer should recognize that the data is "blank" on the PC and it would then have the handheld's information transferred to the desktop....you can also set the conduits to have the Handheld overwrite the Desktop and this would restore the data as well.

So look at the current files .dat from the backup on the PC and just copy them over the existing .dat's

I assume you are not using Outlook - strictly the Palm Desktop. If your using Outlook - all of this is pointless because there is no backup via the Palm desktop. I ask only to be certain.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  5.    #5  
    thanks for all your help. got my data back from a 10 day old backup... if only i would have backed up more often
    I use a SD card backup program called Resco Backup - to keep current. I do so much beta testing at Iambic and other companies (it's a hobby) that I found a long time ago the only way to stay current is to keep a current backup on the card. There are several good ones out there.....I just prefer Resco. It actually is scheduled to do a full backup at 11:PM every evening to the card. I can actually - on the fly so to speak - hard reset the device and test new software without anything else in place and then restore from the card to see if their are conflicts etc.....works great.

And then a backup is done on my PC every evening at 5:PM - not just the user files - I use Norton Ghost to backup the whole hard drive on my Laptop to a supplemental HD.

They say you never need a backup until you need it.....as you can tell I needed one in the past 15 years so now I'm covered on the handheld and the PC side just because of One bad HD about 10 years ago.
    Moose Man