Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i've searched but couldn't find answers, or maybe its just a limitation of tomtom that i am getting frustrated with.

concerning POI's... why isn't there an option to search by name instead of by category first and then name? for instance, i wanted to find a fedex office. what category does fedex fall under? not even sure if it would fall under anything. would have been nice if i could just enter "fedex" and it will search its POI database.

also, i tried searching for "pizza hut" under restaurants. would be nice if the list that it generates would tell me where they are located. just having the distance from where i am doesn't tell me anything. there were like 10 or more all listed within 10 miles, but i wanted to pick a particular pizza hut but i would have to tap on each one to see where it was located on the map and then choose the one i really wanted to go to.
    I wish I had answers for you as I have the same complaints.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I wish I had answers for you as I have the same complaints.
    ok at least i know i'm not the only one having these issues. actually so far, tomtom is good, but not as great as some people have made it out to be. i had mapopolis before and although the maps were 2D and not as nice as tomtom, and you have to load maps by county,i thought it did a better job than tomtom. some nice things were little audible signals when you made a correct turn, or a different audible signal when you made a wrong turn. and the best was it will announce the street name of your next turn.

in the tomtom map view, it shows the next turn street name which is good, but it would also be nice to know what street i am current travelling on. oh well... investment made already so i gotta live with it.
    i have the same gripe when i look for a chain store in a certain area it lists them by distance which is a big pain.
  5.    #5  
    tomtom's support is unbelievable. i posted a question to support on 12/8 and i still haven't gotten an answer yet. is tomtom the best gps software out there for the palm/treo? i am about ready to dump this piece of crap. too bad destinator doesn't make one for the palm.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Are you digging a hole for yourselves in this tread .

I use Tomtom i Europe, and there are several websites offering POI's for download. Ie PizzaHut, McDonalds... can be "installed" as their own categories. Also including telephone numbers for direct dialing from Tomtom

...but You probably all knew that before :|
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Are you digging a hole for yourselves in this tread .

I use Tomtom i Europe, and there are several websites offering POI's for download. Ie PizzaHut, McDonalds... can be "installed" as their own categories. Also including telephone numbers for direct dialing from Tomtom

...but You probably all knew that before :|

well what about for fedex? point is, why do we have to search via a category? what do you do if the place you are trying to find isn't in a category or you don't know what category it belongs in? are you going to go into each category and then put in your search?

sure its easy to find pizza hut and mcdonalds because we all know if falls into the restaurant category, or food category. but with mcdonalds, i bet it'll pull up 50 mcdonalds, all that are .5m away. which one to choose?
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    I see - it's not that the POI are missing or not there. You address the functionality regarding use of POI's - sorry...

I too had an issue on my summer vacation - I was searching for places to stop when driving. Don't know what this is called in english - maybe "picnic stops" or something like that. Those were present in an unexpected POI cathegory - which I realized after my vacation was over. At least I know this for my next year vacation.

I only know of Tomtom's functionality regarding POI search...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    islandsnow - for FedEx locations try mobile.fedex.com. You can locate your locations there. I know - it ain't the same but if you need a FedEx location...

Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    tomtom's support is unbelievable. i posted a question to support on 12/8 and i still haven't gotten an answer yet. is tomtom the best gps software out there for the palm/treo? i am about ready to dump this piece of crap. too bad destinator doesn't make one for the palm.
    TomTom support is like the little girl with the curl:

When they're good, they're very good, and
    when they're bad they're horrid.

They are very hard to get ahold of, don't return emails or calls for a long time -- but when you get ahold of them, they are very good.
    I have the same problems as the original poster. My Garmin ique blows away the TT for POI and searching... but I like that I only carry the phone and the little GPS gizmo. Plus I prefer the TT's map guidance just a bit over the ique. Although TT doesn't tell you if your destination is on the right or left..
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdoyle
    islandsnow - for FedEx locations try mobile.fedex.com. You can locate your locations there. I know - it ain't the same but if you need a FedEx location...

Pat
    well there was something else that i needed to search for but didn't know what category it should be in, or wasn't even in a category at all. my point is, your solution for fedex above is fine, but i'm sure as i start using TT more, i will find many more POI locations that i want to find that aren't in a category or might not even be in the POI database at all.

i also find that when i enter an address, there were serveral instances where it says cannot find street number and to use something else. like if i enter 340 as the street number, it says invalid and to use something in the 500-890 range (or something like that). i'm starting to think maybe these maps aren't really all that complete. i wish TT would use navteq maps and not tele atlas maps
    Now, I've been looking at various GPS solutions for sometime. I have just about settled on TomTom for one reason, PDA address book integration. Let me explain. No, I DON'T have everyone's address in their contact screen, a lot of them, but not all. However, I do subscribe to Express from Handango. The 411 function in this program is INCREDIBLE and it allows me to integrate an address/phone number found into my Treo. From that point, shouldn't I be able to use the PDA contact functionality built into TomTom to find it? Like the above mentioned FedEx location? This is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward TomTom.
    Granted, what you mention about searching only inside a category seems stupid, and a total lack of functionality.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    DrDoom - I'm pretty TomTom will allow you to use the contact screen the way you describe - assuming I understand correctly. I don't use Express, otherwise I'd try it for you.

Are you saying that with Express you will locate an address/number then have Express populate a Palm contact entry for you? If so, then yes, you would be able to go into TomTom Contacts and navigate to/from that address.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Granted, what you mention about searching only inside a category seems stupid, and a total lack of functionality.
    i think i need to clarify my stance on POIs. searching ONLY via categories is stupid. but sometimes when i'm in an unfamiliar location and i don't know exactly what kind of restaurants are around the area, searching by the restaurant category is indeed helpful. but whats stupid is only allowing category searches. because other times, i know what i want to search for, but not necessarily know what category it falls in. do i have to go through every single category only to find out its not even in their POI database? now that's stupid!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I'm pretty TomTom will allow you to use the contact screen the way you describe
    Wish I was pretty
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I was thinking of getting a GPS, but it seems like one person is saying TT sucks and the next praises it. Is there a site that does quality reviews of the various solutions?
    TY
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I was thinking of getting a GPS, but it seems like one person is saying TT sucks and the next praises it. Is there a site that does quality reviews of the various solutions?
    TY
    if you are going to run it on a treo, you pretty much only got 2 choices, mapopolis or tomtom. only reason i went with tomtom was because you can run it from the sd card while mapopolis needs to be installed on the internal memory. i also went with tomtom because of all the praises. now that i've used it, i think its overrated. i've used mapopolis on a pocket pc, and although the maps aren't 3D, the navigation in my opinion was a little better than tomtom. and mapopolis has the ability to speak street names. so it says in 800ft turn left on main st. whereas tomtom will just say, in 800ft, turn left. because i am terrible with distances, if two upcoming streets are close together, i have to look down on the treo screen to see what street i am turning on in 800ft.

i have no experience with mapopolis POIs but the searching POI feature in tomtom sucks.
    Nav 5 and Palm when working properly are pretty hard to beat.

****BUT BEWARE****

If something goes wrong and one must deal with customer/technical support.....forget it. Absolutely Disgraceful. What a joke. I would tell anyone who asks exactly the same.

They lost me.
  20.    #20  
    i agree. i sent them an email over a month ago, still haven't heard back. i tried calling once, no answer. none. unbelieavable.

Quote Originally Posted by sriera
    Nav 5 and Palm when working properly are pretty hard to beat.

****BUT BEWARE****

If something goes wrong and one must deal with customer/technical support.....forget it. Absolutely Disgraceful. What a joke. I would tell anyone who asks exactly the same.

They lost me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast