Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Hello Friends,
    I had bought an unlocked GSM Treo 600 and had been using it in India. Now I am in USA and have to select a service provider for my phone. I am thinking of Cingular. But most of the service provider's subsidize the phone when one buys it from them. But since I purchased an unlocked GSM I didn't get that subsidy so I am wondering now when I sign up for a plan will I get some discounts or will I get an upgrade? Also which service provider would be best for upgrading my treo?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Hello Friends,
    I had bought an unlocked GSM Treo 600 and had been using it in India. Now I am in USA and have to select a service provider for my phone. I am thinking of Cingular. But most of the service provider's subsidize the phone when one buys it from them. But since I purchased an unlocked GSM I didn't get that subsidy so I am wondering now when I sign up for a plan will I get some discounts or will I get an upgrade? Also which service provider would be best for upgrading my treo?
    Your choices are Cingular or T-Mobile. Try to find out which had better reception in your location (home, office etc.). T-Mobile's website has Zip code level coverage maps that are very useful.

On upgrade versus discount, if you want upgrade you may only get the same deal as a new customer. That is same subsidy for a locked Treo 650 from cingular. They don't care about the one you have. If you want a Treo 650 as an upgrade, Cingular is the only GSM provider. So you can't bargain much.

If you don't want a new phone you can ask for a discount. Then you are in a stronger bargaining position as you can go to either Cingular or T-Mobile.

Finally, talk (bargain) directly to the service providers and avoid service resellers (e.g. those kiosks in shopping malls).

Hope that helps.
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Hello Friends,
    Well I spoke with the Cingular representative and he told me that no discount will be given and I will have to go for a rate plan as a new customer. So I am thinking that I go for a plan get the new phone and just keep it with me or sell it off. I will take the SIM card and put it in my treo 600.
    I would like to access the internet using my mobile. I can see that there is the
    $20/month plan from cingular that gives me 5mb data and there is the $30/month plan from T-mobile that gives me unlimited data access. Would 5 mb be enough to browse data like gmail and mapquest. Also T-mobile gives an blackberry internet email plan. Does this apply to the Treo 600 also?
    On internet plans in T-Mobile:

I don't see the $30 plan. I see a $20 Unlimited internet plan and a $6 T-MobileWeb plan.

These are add on services on top of any voice plan. There is probably an internet plan with no free voice minutes.

The blackberry plan I am told does not work with Treo. T-Mobile will tell you the $6 T-MobileWeb also does not work with Treo. (In a way they are right as the games, ringtone download etc. may not work.) But it is OK for simple web and email checks. The key is to add these after you get your voice plan. You can do this on the web once your account is setup and active. If you choose T-Mobile and want the $6 plan, you will have to select a different phone in your web page temporarily to have that option visible on your personal T-Mobile web account page.
    Prio Treo
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Hello Friends,
    I have a GSM unlocked Treo 600. I used this in INdia and have recently come to USA. I now have to select a service provider. I would like to do the following things with my phone:
    1. Chat on yahoo msgr.
    2. check maps on mapquest or yahoo maps.
    3. check emails like gmail etc.

Can someone please suggest a service provider and plan that would be cheapest.
    i use cingular. you can get the 1500 minutes for 40$, then 20$ unlimited data, it comes with a free phone you can sell on ebay, and don't tell them you're using your data for a treo.
    do this..... don't tell them you're getting a plan for a treo.... get one of those package deals with a GSM phone for free, and get the 1500 minutes for 40$ and the unlimited data for 20$ a month. 60$ a month and you're probably set for minutes an data. JUST DON"T TELL THEM you're going to change phones. I've been going for a month with cingular.

i'm halfway through my billing cycle and i've used 11MB. BUT, i used verichat and read the news almost everyday.
    How much is Cingular charging you for a plan only versus phone + plan?

I would tie in your choice of service to the upgrade. If the phone company can give you an upgrade and provide you good service that would be a ideal.
    What Cheetajeremy means is that you can get the Media Net unlimited data plan on Cingular for $20 per month. If you tell them you have a Treo they'll want you to subscribe to the $40/month PDA unlimited data plan instead. But there's no reason to, the $20 "Media Net Unlimited" plan will work and it's much cheaper. Sign up with Cingular, get the free (or you can chose to buy a better phone) then after you leave the store just put your SIM in to your unlocked Treo.

The other GSM provider is T-Mobile. T-Mobile also has a $20/month add on plan. If you're really cheap you can get data for $6 per month but you'll have to use a proxy server setting for everything that uses the web on your Treo since the $6 plan blocks web port 80.

When using Yahoo messenger, you might find it most convenient to use Yahoo messenger's SMS (text messaging) mobile version. It converts all of your IMS to text messages for your phone. It's very reliable but uses a lot of text messages.
    T-Mobile has much cheaper SMS messaging. Cingular you have to buy a package for (for example) 1000 text messages for $10/month.

Generally speaking Cingular has more extensive coverage than T-Mobile and is probabally the better choice. I suggest you try to get Cingular with $20/month media net unlimited for your data and a text messaging package to cover Yahoo IM.

If price is an issue, T-Mobile will be cheaper and is actually a decent carrier.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    <merged: please avoid cross posting>
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Hello Friends,
    I am confused about the following things:
    1. How is text messaging different from instant messaging in terms of pricing? If I do an IM then will each message that I type in and press enter be counted as one text message or will an entire session be counted as a text message? Will the IMs I receive also be treated as a text message and be debited from my account?
    2. What is the difference between the PDA data plan(for $20) and the the media net or $6 plans? Is the proxy for web browsing required for the $6 plan readily available?
    3. Are there any other GSM providers that are cheaper? Does sprint provide GSM?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Ok. I atleast got the answer to the second question. If you go for the the PDA data plan then you can access the web using the palm but if you go for the media net package then you can just get content from certain sites like cnn etc. Am I correct here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salil
    Hello Friends,
    I am confused about the following things:
    1. How is text messaging different from instant messaging in terms of pricing? If I do an IM then will each message that I type in and press enter be counted as one text message or will an entire session be counted as a text message? Will the IMs I receive also be treated as a text message and be debited from my account?
    2. What is the difference between the PDA data plan(for $20) and the the media net or $6 plans? Is the proxy for web browsing required for the $6 plan readily available?
    3. Are there any other GSM providers that are cheaper? Does sprint provide GSM?
    1. IM is application driven, some uses SMS in lieu of your internet data connection. If you use SMS then that will be subject to the 160 char per message count and charged to your SMS plan per 160 instance.
    2. The PDA plan vs media net, lots of discussion, lots of pros and cons. Please search. Data plan is what the phone co. want you to get since it is more for the phone co. but cost more for you plus more ports open. Media net has some limits (data volume) and $ plans are port restricted.
    3. Other GSM providers in US: Cingular, TMobile are prominent in major metropolitan areas, I am sure there are others. US Sprint is CDMA only.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Some more questions:
    If my friends are in India and I am using yahoo msgr. from my treo 600 then do i have to pay international text message prices?

I went to both cingular and t-mobile websites and checked out the prices for both services:
    T-Mobile:
    Get More Plan - $40 - 600 mins + unlimited nights and weekends
    T-mobile web - $6 - To browse the web and to go to mapquest etc.
    Any 1000 messages - $9 - To chat on yahoo
    TOTAL - $55

Cingular
    Nation 450 w/Rollover - $40 - 450 mins with rollover + 5000 nights/weekend mins
    Media Works - $20 - 1000 messages + 5 MB MEDIA NET
    TOTAL : $60

I want to be sure that i will be able to go to mapquest.com and gmail.com using any of the packages selected above. I am leaning towards T-mobile right now since it offer 600 mins. Please advise
    If you use Verichat for yahoo IM (YIM) then you won't need the $9-1000 messages. Verichat can use data (internet) for IM. I have tried it out with TZone (now T-MobileWeb) and it works. If you choose to use SMS for YIM then messages will be counted as demestic SMS to Yahoo server in the US (from there it will go to India).

Both mapquest and gmail work with T-MobileWeb. I suggest using "Directory Assistant" as a helper application to mapquest. It is free and it makes putting contact addresses in mapquest easier.

Using Versamail I couldn't send emails to gmail server. I was not sure if it was Versamail's fault or T-MobileWeb's. So I downloaded Chatter (another email program) and that worked perfectly.

Hope that helps.
    Prio Treo