1.    #1  
    Greetings. After using my Treo 180 to within an inch of its life, I picked up a lightly used Treo off eBay in August and it served me well for the first few months, but lately, it has become a nightmare.

The phone was originally purchased from Rogers, and my wireless provider is Rogers, so all I had to do was drop my SIM card in the slot and away I went. Not long after I got some shiny marketing blurb about the enhanced Rogers network in Montreal, I started having connection problems.

Calls became fuzzy sounding (mostly to people on the other end), and the network would drop off for no logical reason. Usually, it would find the network again fairly quick, and I'd be back in business. Lately, though, I can drain my battery looking for the network (two days ago, I spent 4 hours searching for the network with no luck and no charger nearby). I have installed the Treo 600 upgrade issued by Rogers and that seems to have had no effect.

I am wondering if there is something wrong with my Treo or if the Rogers network has become so unreliable that I have to consider switching. My typical day goes thusly: pull the phone off the charger before I leave for work. I make or receive a call normally. Next call is usually dropped or never goes through (the phone shows that it's dialing, but nothing happens and the handset resets); finding the network at this point is a 50-50 proposition at best. Sometimes, I have to open the recently dialed menu as it searches for the network, select a number to have the handheld reset, then I can usually find a network afterwards. Unfortunately, receiving calls during the rest of the day is hit or miss; sometimes, calls are perfectly normal, othertimes the device freezes as I try to answer (or after a single ring when I make a new call). I have been treating the device carefully; it has only been dropped once, and it was working fine (so I doubt the internal radio is broken).

So... Who should I get ticked off at? Rogers, for their lousy network or my Treo for being unreliable? I really want to rely on my Treo, as it is the closest thing to a portable office panacea I have found, but if I can't take calls, get or send email, why should I bother?
    Assuming a Treo600, do your calls still drop if your Treo is in the cradle (or USB/charger Y cable)?

If not, it's probably a worn out battery or a battery connector that has become partially un-seated.

The fuzzyness (buzz?) sound may be corrected with a bit of tinfoil when you open your Treo to check the battery connector (or replace the battery).

You could start your research here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=102356

How 'bout those Senators and Canadiens?
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I'll break out the Torx screwdriver and try re-seating the connector. Where would I place the tinfoil to correct the buzzing?

And yes, it is a Treo 600. My bad for not mentioning it.

I was just happy to see Emery on the bench on Tuesday. He's had the Habs' number. The Ottawa-Montreal rivalry is based on skill and is pretty much replacing Montreal-Quebec as my favorite rivalry (which was based mostly on thuggery).
    Last edited by hotbranch; 12/22/2005 at 12:45 PM. Reason: follow-up thought
    Most well known buzzfix instructions: http://mytreo.net/treofaq/BuzzFix

Another alternative I just found... http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/treo-600-buzzing-noise.htm

LEFTOVER PIECE WARNING THERE IS A PIECE OF BLACK RUBBER ABOUT 3/4 OF AN INCH LONG THAT KEEPS THE STYLUS SNUG... IT GOES BETWEEN THE DAUGHTER BOARD AND THE MAIN BOARD ON THE SIDE BESIDE THE STYLUS. SEE THE CIRCLED ITEM IN FIGURE 4 IN THE FIRST SET OF INSTRUCTIONS

Others, (not me of course ), have found this piece left over after reassembling their TREO.

...and it looks like the Senators' rivalry with the Leafs is almost as bad as the historical rivalry between the Habs and the Leafs!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, bro!

It took me a few days to find the time & space (dang holiday wrapping paper gets everywhere!), but the loose connection and buzzing problems seem to have been solved!

Yee-haw! My Treo 600 is no longer running the risk of being my next practice puck.

(Now if only there were a way to keep the SD card from unseating all by iitself...)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbranch

(Now if only there were a way to keep the SD card from unseating all by iitself...)
    Carefully file down the top of the card so that it doesn't stick out. Works well.
    Do a little at a time then check the fit
    Or put a case on it that covers it...like a krusell.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve