Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    So I get my replacement 2Gb SD... Sandisk

Put the card in the Treo, go to Card Info, Select Format, and the Treo flashes...card is no longer detected.

Why do I have this problem? I searched the archives looking for the post with the step by step for swapping cards..the one (of many) that lists the procedure to go from one card to another but I can't find it...figures.

So I guess I fried another SD card... The card can be read on my PC...it has a volume name of Canon which I would like to change...none of the Treo File structure is there so the format didn't work, obviously.

I tried to Quick Format it using my card reader, to FAT, but the format crashes...

I reinsert the card and navigate to it with FileMan, CardInfo or Resco Explorer and it show 1.9Gb free, yet if I try to format it or copy something to it with the Treo, the card goes AWOL... No Card Found until I remove and reinsert.

Format to FAT in a DOS window using FORMAT H: /V:MYCARD /FS:FAT /X and it formats 100%... Inserted into the Treo and it is recognized, now with a new name...Card. Treo asks to format it, I select yes...and the screen flashes and the card is no longer seen.

I also noticed that if I reinsert the card with Card Info open, then go back to home screen (I use LauncherX) it will knock the card out.

Soft reset does nothing...

This svcks...I have a TT5 at home waiting for me and I won't be able to, nor would I want to install anything more until the 2gb card is working

At the expense of getting flamed...someone please help me with a New SD Card for Dummies tutorial...

====== edited======

Somewhere along the line amidst all the resets and formats that I tried, the card seems to now be formatted to the Treo...it now has...

/Palm
    /DCIM
    /Palm/VolID
    /DCIM/AllAlbum

A small step forward I'll assume... The card still gets lost if any function or program is run...for instance if I exit LauncherX to copy a program to the card the Treo loses the connection to the card until it is removed and reinserted..

A soft reset still doesn't help. I can try a hard reset and reinstall of all the software..not fun, but do-able if there is no other option. When I press the home button I can see the screen flash as the OS attempts to read, but then loses the card and refreshes itself...any function will result in the same thing.

I confirmed it is FAT formatted. Checked the card for errors using both Windows and Norton SysWorks...nothing.

=====edited=====
    I tried to format it again, using my internal card reader in my home PC...and using a DOS prompt, which went well at work, however the format process got as far a Initiallizing File Allocation Table and then failed...card "unusable". It also knocked the card reader out.

I then formatted again in the Treo and I am back to where I started....Treo sees it, with 1.9Gb free, and losses the card immediately.

Also tried the 2Gb in my Coolpix 7900...it works fine. So the issue is with the Treo setup..not the card. I have a 1Gb SanDisk Extreme III, with a super fast write speed is preferred for use in the camera when using burst mode...but obviously I can use it in the Treo...BTW, it works perfectly in the Treo.

So, now I have a 1Gb Extreme III, a 2Gb and a 4Gb.

Nearly 100 views and no-one has a suggestion??
    Last edited by MikeM; 12/21/2005 at 09:06 PM.
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    No one has a clue??
    Technology Rules!
    Can you go through process of elimination? Try limiting your SD card to one device only, if SD Card reader, keep it there, don't use it with Treo. If camera, use it for camera only.

There are reported instances where the SD card gets to unusable depending on which card reader you use.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Can you go through process of elimination? Try limiting your SD card to one device only, if SD Card reader, keep it there, don't use it with Treo. If camera, use it for camera only.

There are reported instances where the SD card gets to unusable depending on which card reader you use.
    I appreciate your response...but I'm not sure what you mean. It is a brand new card...

I have tried it in the camera only as a means of determining if it is corrupt or not...it isn't. I would love to use it in just one device..the Treo.
    Technology Rules!
    I had a 1GB Sandisk once that I could not get to read in my card reader. I could get it to read in my Treo. I ended up taking it back to the store and getting another one. The replacement worked like a charm in both the Treo and my card reader. I have not clue, but, I suspect the first card was corrupt in some way.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Can't speak from firsthand experience ; my SD slot has always been very reliable with any card I've tried. I swap 3 cards regularly between my Treo, Nikon camera, and HP printer, but...

My dad's 650 had many problems with both new and used cards. Sometimes wouldn't recognize the card, sometimes would recognize after "freezing" for 2-3 minutes, sometimes would immediately error out upon insert. Maybe a hardware problem. If you can exchange the Treo, do so and see if it helps.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    I appreciate your response...but I'm not sure what you mean. It is a brand new card...

I have tried it in the camera only as a means of determining if it is corrupt or not...it isn't. I would love to use it in just one device..the Treo.
    I have a suspect that the last poster may be right but before we completely declare which device is the problem, let us try to work this out one by one.

1. As you have said, you have used in you camera and has no issues (format and downloading pictures without moving the SD to the card reader at any point in time of at least a full day continues use). If you have not done this, try this first.

2. Do the same for the Treo, format the SD within the Treo. Use the trial version of Softick CardExportII or the free Palm File Browser to connect your Treo to the PC via your USB cable and load files via this application. Use it the whole day without taking it out. If it works right, try it for a couple more days just to make sure. If this fails, then your issue is a bad or loose SD connector on your treo.

3. If everything stays fine, then put take your SD card from Treo and move it to the PC card reader, start moving and copying files back and forth and put it back to your Treo. If it becomes unreadable, something is causing your SD card to become unreadable from your PC card reader. You have a PC card reader that writes to your SD card and causes incompatibilities.

Good luck and keep us posted. Sorry for the late response.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I just bought a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card and was having similar problems. I eventually was able to get it formatted and data transferred from my Sandisk (blue) 1GB card. I kept getting intermittent errors from apps on SD after the changeover. I called Sandisk yesterday and they said the higher speed cards do not work on the Treo. I told him some people have not had any problems with the higher speed cards and his reply was they will eventually. He actually sounded very knowledgable. Sure enough, if you look on their website it recommends the blue card only for the Treo.

I bought a blue card and no problems.

IF YOU ARE BUYING A SANDISK SD CARD, ONLY GET THE REGULAR BLUE CARD UP TO 2GB.
    I've had a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II SD card in my Treo 650 for 6 months now, with no problems. It was plug and play - no manual formatting or other setup required. I store applications, photos, and movies on it. It reads and writes fine in several card readers (Windows XP). I also have a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II and a 512MB Sandisk 'Regular Blue Card' which work flawlessly.

Over at MyTreo.net, the 2GB Sandisk 'Regular Blue Card' is listed as having 'Bad' compatability with the Treo 650.

Browsing the Treo forums I see that at some time someone somewhere has had a problem with just about every SD card on the market! I wonder if the problems some users are experiencing are just a combination of the inevitable occasional bad card and/or setup problems?

Based on this my advice would be if an SD card doesn't work, return it and try again.
    Last edited by bananaman; 12/27/2005 at 11:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nerual96
    I called Sandisk yesterday and they said the higher speed cards do not work on the Treo. I told him some people have not had any problems with the higher speed cards and his reply was they will eventually. He actually sounded very knowledgable. Sure enough, if you look on their website it recommends the blue card only for the Treo.
    Well not sure who is right here..

I have the blue 2gb card and two have been defective...or at lease incompatible with the Treo. I also have the black Sandisk Extreme III super high speed and it works just fine in the Treo..
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    1. As you have said, you have used in you camera and has no issues (format and downloading pictures without moving the SD to the card reader at any point in time of at least a full day continues use). If you have not done this, try this first.
    Turns out the 2Gb card worked for the first half hour of Christmas morning as I used the Nikon to take pics of my 2 year old opening presents. Soon enough it crashed...got and error that the Card is unable to be read. I lost about twenty irreplacable pictures..

Interesting enough, the 4Gb worked for just a short time in the Camera...then it failed as well...same read error. I haven't seen any documentation regarding using the 4Gb with the camera so it's possible that it, like the Treo, has a max memory capacity.

2. Do the same for the Treo, format the SD within the Treo. Use the trial version of Softick CardExportII or the free Palm File Browser to connect your Treo to the PC via your USB cable and load files via this application. Use it the whole day without taking it out. If it works right, try it for a couple more days just to make sure. If this fails, then your issue is a bad or loose SD connector on your treo.
    I have been using the SanDisk Extreme III (black) 1Gb card since my post above.. No issues in the Treo. I didn't use Softick...just formatted it as usual, and installed all my typical stuff. Moved a bunch of apps, and even dropped a few movies on it from the card reader in my PC...no issues at all.

3. If everything stays fine, then put take your SD card from Treo and move it to the PC card reader, start moving and copying files back and forth and put it back to your Treo. If it becomes unreadable, something is causing your SD card to become unreadable from your PC card reader. You have a PC card reader that writes to your SD card and causes incompatibilities.
    See above...

At this point I figure it is the card for sure. I am returning the 4Gb and the 2Gb for two new 2Gb cards... Now, I am willing to pay someone to get these new cards to work..any takers?

I need to know exactly what to do use the cards right out of the box...so I don't trash these two new cards... The Extreme III will go back in the camera and one 2Gb card will go in the Treo...
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaman
    Browsing the Treo forums I see that at some time someone somewhere has had a problem with just about every SD card on the market! I wonder if the problems some users are experiencing are just a combination of the inevitable occasional bad card and/or setup problems?
    Likewise, you will find posts that say the exact opposite of your experience...STFA here on TC and you find more then a few posts that say the Ultra II's don't work with the Treo.

I have been using a 512mb regular blue for two years in my T600..and it worked just fine in the T650 when I upgraded.

So it seems that MMV no matter what approach you take...
    Technology Rules!
    Thanks for posting your update.

Turns out the 2Gb card worked for the first half hour of Christmas morning as I used the Nikon to take pics of my 2 year old opening presents. Soon enough it crashed...got and error that the Card is unable to be read. I lost about twenty irreplacable pictures..
    Yuck, I hate losing pictures.

Interesting enough, the 4Gb worked for just a short time in the Camera...then it failed as well...same read error. I haven't seen any documentation regarding using the 4Gb with the camera so it's possible that it, like the Treo, has a max memory capacity.
    Or it could be just the card.

I have been using the SanDisk Extreme III (black) 1Gb card since my post above.. No issues in the Treo. I didn't use Softick...just formatted it as usual, and installed all my typical stuff. Moved a bunch of apps, and even dropped a few movies on it from the card reader in my PC...no issues at all.
    I did tell you to eliminate use of the PC card reader but it works for now.

See above...

At this point I figure it is the card for sure. I am returning the 4Gb and the 2Gb for two new 2Gb cards... Now, I am willing to pay someone to get these new cards to work..any takers?
    After all the time and patience you spent on it, I don't think its worth the extra time spending. Then again, there could be some.

I need to know exactly what to do use the cards right out of the box...so I don't trash these two new cards... The Extreme III will go back in the camera and one 2Gb card will go in the Treo...
    You still have not ruled out the PC card reader entirely. Just checking.

Happy Holidays!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I just stuck a new card in my palm as well. It didnt detect it at first. This card I have been using in my digital camera so I did not want to format it.

I put it in, nothing. Took it out, put it in, out, in, out, in until it finally read it. Now I have had no issues! It did create a couple more directories on it, which my digital camera ignores. I now have no problem with the card in eithor device.

It sounds as if when you first put the card it, it takes some time for it to set it up with your device. It may just be a one time thing as it checks to see if all required files are on it? Try it. Leave it in for a couple minutes, remove it and try again. Let me know.
    My 2GB 150x card is not recognized by my 650 when I insert it in the SD slot. The Treo always asks to format the card, and the format always fail.

I ended up formating the card in my Treo 600 (yes the card works perfectly in my 600!!!), and when the 650 asks to format the card, I do not answer and perform a soft reset instead. After the soft reset, everything is fine until I remove the card, and insert it again.... The 650 asks to format the card... I don't answer and soft reset instead... etc... been doing that for a few months and it's ok as I don't remove the card very often.

stipus
    I am not sure if this will help anyone, but I just bought a new 2GB A-Data 150x SD card. I put it in my Compaq Presario (Laptop) media card reader and it sees the card, but cannot access it. I put it into my Treo 650 and the same thing happened. I read on the newegg.com message board (where I bought it) that some people are having luck with new card readers, so I stopped off at Office Depot this morning and got a $8 USB SD card reader (mediaGear). I put the card in and it worked the first time. I formatted it through the laptop and then put it into the Treo 650 and again, no problems at all. My best guess is that it is a driver issue with the Compaq media card reader...
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

You still have not ruled out the PC card reader entirely. Just checking.

Happy Holidays!
    Well...if the Extreme III card and the old 512, which both have been in action for about four years cummulative between them, have been read with the same card reader for years with never even a hiccup, should I be concerned about that?? Thoughts??

The first card I had was formatted with a USB reader at work. (that card was exchanged for the 4Gb) so I can see that as an open issue, but the new 2Gb and the 4Gb neither saw any action in that reader and they failed...

BTW, the Extreme III is still going strong, and the card reader has been busy moving holiday photos...

Oh, and can imagine how pissed my wife is about the pics??
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amped
    It sounds as if when you first put the card it, it takes some time for it to set it up with your device. It may just be a one time thing as it checks to see if all required files are on it? Try it. Leave it in for a couple minutes, remove it and try again. Let me know.
    The 2Gb is seen when it is first inserted...if you perform any function, any thing, the card goes MIA.
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stipus
    I ended up formating the card in my Treo 600 (yes the card works perfectly in my 600!!!),
    hhmmm that's interesting... Just sold my 600...but I wonder if I format with another 650 if it would make a difference...
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strado
    I am not sure if this will help anyone, but I just bought a new 2GB A-Data 150x SD card. I put it in my Compaq Presario (Laptop) media card reader and it sees the card, but cannot access it. I put it into my Treo 650 and the same thing happened. I read on the newegg.com message board (where I bought it) that some people are having luck with new card readers, so I stopped off at Office Depot this morning and got a $8 USB SD card reader (mediaGear). I put the card in and it worked the first time. I formatted it through the laptop and then put it into the Treo 650 and again, no problems at all. My best guess is that it is a driver issue with the Compaq media card reader...
    certainly worth an $8 gamble..thanks!
    Technology Rules!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast