1.    #1  
    I been checking out some of the threads on here so i'll be ready to make the most of my treo 650. And of course i have a few questions and would like a little guidance even though most of this has probably been covered already.

Since i just got my treo 650 from cingular do i still need to download that firmware update or will it already be on the phone?

What bluetooth headset should i get? I see people have problems with the motorola ones so i was planning on getting the palm treo headset, anything better on the market?

Accessories that are essential? Im getting a 1gb sd card, car charger, im still wondering what case i need. I like to carry my phones in my pocket, any suggestions? Should i get the screen protectors?

The one thing i have not really checked into yet is the software side of things, even though i read some of the threads on what software is best. So any help in this category is greatly appreciated. I would like to possibly stream mp3s or just carry them on the card, what is needed for both.

Ok that should get me started. Please dont slam me to hard for asking so many questions, this is my first pda and my first smartphone. I am fairly pc savy but that doesnt mean anything it looks like when it comes to the treo

Thanks guys for any help.
    Welcome to TC

Quote Originally Posted by bswor
    I been checking out some of the threads on here so i'll be ready to make the most of my treo 650. And of course i have a few questions and would like a little guidance even though most of this has probably been covered already.

Since i just got my treo 650 from cingular do i still need to download that firmware update or will it already be on the phone?
    Most likely it will have the FW update on it. To check it from the phone app, click the Menu button -> Options -> Phone info and look at the software version. If it is current it will say Treo650-1.17-CNG

What bluetooth headset should i get? I see people have problems with the motorola ones so i was planning on getting the palm treo headset, anything better on the market?
    Check out the Bluetooth forum here since there are lots of threads on different headsets, and also check out a review of 8 of them from treonauts:

http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/08/eight_bluetooth.html

I have the Treo Wireless Headset and works well for me, others really like some of the Motorolas and others, to each his own!

Accessories that are essential? Im getting a 1gb sd card, car charger, im still wondering what case i need. I like to carry my phones in my pocket, any suggestions? Should i get the screen protectors?
    Screen protectors are a must if you get a case that doesn't protect the screen. Boxwave makes really good ones. Also would get the 2.5mm to 3.5mm headset adapter so you can use your headphones to listen to music, audio books etc.

There are a few thin cases out there that are pretty good that fit well in your pocket. I would have recommended the Sena Leatherskin case that I have but it has nicked the casing around the screen edges due to its seams.

The one thing i have not really checked into yet is the software side of things, even though i read some of the threads on what software is best. So any help in this category is greatly appreciated. I would like to possibly stream mp3s or just carry them on the card, what is needed for both.
    Check out the sticky in this forum:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=82079

and:
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...d.php?t=102212

PocketTunes is a must for streaming mp3s and shoutcast stations etc
    QuickNews is great for a Palm RSS Reader

Enjoy!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    Thank you very much for all of the information and taking time out to do so. It's still on the FEDEX truck and i feel like a kid waiting for christmas. Hoping to get to try this out very soon.
    Good deal, have fun!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  5.    #5  
    Ok its in and im sick, literally so im playing with the phone constantly. Thing is i have to wait for my 2GB SD card to come in

I know this is such a newb question, but how do u keep the phone on? The phone function itself? Im going to search but i figured some kind soul would help me out. Thanks
    Last edited by bswor; 12/21/2005 at 10:36 PM.
    Not sure what you mean by "keep the phone on" - you hold down the Red on/off button to turn the Phone radio on and off - once it's on it stays on unless there is a reset - depending on the cause of the reset it may not come back on by itself.

FYI - the manual is pretty big, but it's worth a read - 80% is self explanatory but the other 20% is interesting.
    A few must have software for me:

Directory Assistance (freeware)
    Instanting Messaging App (I use Verichat)
    Pocket Tune
    I am not a power user but I really like TreoButler....I use it to turn off the flashing green LED so I can have the phone by my bed and the flashing light doesn't bother me...very sensitive sleeper here!

Love being able to carry pictures...and listen to MP3's...I haven't gotten around to figuring out video yet...not a big movie fan..

Love my treo and have had no resetting probs...ever...but I am not a real power user and don't have much 3rd party software!

Have fun!
  9.    #9  
    Verichat is very cool indeed. I use cingular, so do i get charged per IM if im using verichat??

My 2gb card finally did come in and im starting to put mp3's and video files on it. The TCPMP program is awesome so far. Which allows me to watch full video. I think im in love with my phone, is this abnormal??

I downloaded tcpmp here: http://corecodec.org/frs/?group_id=53&release_id=99

But im sure you guys already have it. Cant wait for my bluetooth treo headset to come in. No stores in my area carry anything for the phone so i had to go on amazon.

Anyway thanks guys for all your help.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Did you check the firmware? Mine came with old firmware, I mean *really old* firmware!! I had to flash it to 1.15 CNG, and THEN again to 1.17 when it came out 2 weeks later.

Don't wait, update that firmware, it's so worth it.

You're right about TCPMP... it's easily the equal of MMPlayer (which I paid for, drat!)

You will not be charged for "per IM" when using Verichat. the usage will count against your data plan. MediaNet Unlimited is $19.99 but does not include text messages (but does include unlimited MBs, which is what Verichat uses).

Which data plan do you have?? I had MEdiaNet Unlimited but I got a nasty surprise last month with an extra $20 in text messages (at .10 each), so I switched to MEdia Works for the same price and Cingular credited me the overage, since I was told it would include text messages.

Enjoy your Treo!!
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
  11. lua
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    FYI - the manual is pretty big, but it's worth a read - 80% is self explanatory but the other 20% is interesting.
    definitely. agreed 110%.

and try not to load any 3rd party apps for the first few days. spend sometime with the built-in apps first. this should help you decide whether the built-in apps are adequate for your needs, and what 3rd party apps you REALLY needed. besides, if any problem crops up, it will be easier to isolate the root cause and trouble-shoot.

have fun.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    I love Verichat and Chatter, my two favorite programs. Third favorite Tomtom, did two months in Europe with it this summer.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cphil674
    Did you check the firmware? Mine came with old firmware, I mean *really old* firmware!! I had to flash it to 1.15 CNG, and THEN again to 1.17 when it came out 2 weeks later.

Don't wait, update that firmware, it's so worth it.

You're right about TCPMP... it's easily the equal of MMPlayer (which I paid for, drat!)

You will not be charged for "per IM" when using Verichat. the usage will count against your data plan. MediaNet Unlimited is $19.99 but does not include text messages (but does include unlimited MBs, which is what Verichat uses).

Which data plan do you have?? I had MEdiaNet Unlimited but I got a nasty surprise last month with an extra $20 in text messages (at .10 each), so I switched to MEdia Works for the same price and Cingular credited me the overage, since I was told it would include text messages.

Enjoy your Treo!!

The first thing i did was update the firmware to 1.17 and i got the Medianet unlimited plan for $19.99 before the phone even arrived I dont do text messages, so thats good news. I like all the extra things the phone can do such as the mp3's and video. Alot of the base functions i probably wont even use.

I've got the ringo trial installed, but is there any freeware app that can do the same thing. I would like to use my mp3's as ringtones. I've made it about half way through the manual, so im getting there.

Thanks guys.
    Do a search on "Ringo". It's one of those apps that had been causing resets, unless their latest versions have corrected that and monitor those freeware apps/hacks closely. Enjoy your new toy!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    With Medianet unlimited can i use xpressmail and versamail with out any additional charges? The rep at CIngular had no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo

I have the Treo Wireless Headset and works well for me, others really like some of the Motorolas and others, to each his own!
    I have this headset, too. It's fairly quiet, though -- even with Volumecare. This is a complaint of most bluetooth headsets, but if you work in a noisy environment this one might not be the best bet. The biggest advantage is that it uses the same power supply as the Treo itself. This is huge for me.

Also would get the 2.5mm to 3.5mm headset adapter so you can use your headphones to listen to music, audio books etc.
    Unless you have a really rockin' headset already, I might suggest getting a 2.5mm headset instead. My friend broke his 600's audio jack b/c the adapter got caught on something. It sticks out so far that if you put pressure on it the wrong way it can break the jack. I've seen a thread or two here from people having the same problem.
    Thank you very much for all of the information and taking time out to do so. It's still on the FEDEX truck and i feel like a kid waiting for christmas. Hoping to get to try this out very soon.
    Mine is due the 29th before noon. I am hoping it hits the local fedex hub and I will go beg it from them before it gets loaded on the truck
    Quote Originally Posted by ColKurtz
    I have this headset, too. It's fairly quiet, though -- even with Volumecare. This is a complaint of most bluetooth headsets, but if you work in a noisy environment this one might not be the best bet. The biggest advantage is that it uses the same power supply as the Treo itself. This is huge for me.

Unless you have a really rockin' headset already, I might suggest getting a 2.5mm headset instead. My friend broke his 600's audio jack b/c the adapter got caught on something. It sticks out so far that if you put pressure on it the wrong way it can break the jack. I've seen a thread or two here from people having the same problem.
    I bought the plaintronics MX100S, not sure how they are, as they are 2.5mm

One thing I plan on doing here in a few minutes is read the user manual before my treo gets here
  19.    #19  
    I have some er6i headphones so im going to get the adapter. I love them but the design could be better. Sound quality is perfecto i use them with my ipod. Sonys ipod headphones are designed better but have to much bass boost already built into them.

And My bluetooth Treo headset should arrive any day now. Cant wait to try it out as this is my first phone to have bluetooth.