1.    #1  
    Ever since I upgraded the ROM (which went flawlessly), I get several random soft resets per day, mostly when the phone is idle. It probably wouldn't be a really big deal to me but the Saved Preferences are lost every time meaning all registration codes are wiped out, my assigned buttons are lost, etc.

Cingular had me hard reset and re-flash the ROM. It went flawlessly again but didn't fix the problem. Never had the issue with 1.15.

Now they want to send me a new phone (probably a refurb but if it works, who cares).

BTW, *#377 never traces to the same app with these random resets.

Anyone have any ideas on the cause or similar experiences?
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  2.    #2  
    I should add I am so frustrated that i'm going to try out the KJam for a while.
    I have noticed the same thing since I have upgraded to 1.17. I have been trying to figure out what is going wrong with no luck. I have noticed that mine seems especially prone to resets on incoming calls or sms messages when it is sitting in the cradle. I have tried everything I can think of to isolate the problem but finally got frustrated and sent in for a refurb. I should have my refurb 650 from Cingular tomorrow and will hope to have some better luck with that. Let us know if you come up with anything.

Goodluck with the KJam. I tried the Jasjar and I just didn't get the same feeling for it. It seemed to have everything I wanted but it never quite felt right so it went back. Was thinking of trying to KJam, but am waiting for the cingular version due out sometime soon.
    Newton 100 > Newton 120 > Palm IIIx > LG Phenom Express > Palm 505 > Treo 300 > Tungsten T > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750
    We've discussed it quite a bit in the rather larger thread on the 1.1.7 update.

Bottom line. It sucks and no one seems to be able to find the cause. Our only hope is that Palm releases another update soon (not likely.)

I find at least once a day now my phone just resets for no reason. I usually hear it go off in my pocket.
  5.    #5  
    What about returning to 1.15?
    MVT, do you use Causerie or Verichat (something that monitors network status)?

It's definitely a bug in the new update, but I'm pretty sure apps like these are somehow conflicting with the update and are causing the crashes, even if you're not using them (sounds strange I know).

I was experiencing the same thing (as discussed with LG in the larger 1.17 thread). I hard reset and selectively restored apps, one of which was not Causerie. No random resets...I then decided to add Causerie back into the mix and the random resets started again, even though I wasn't using the program. I deleted it again a couple weeks ago and haven't had a random reset since.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I'm getting frequent resets with ClipPro installed. Especially when exiting Blazer, everytime when exiting Blazer
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  8.    #8  
    I do use Verichat...quite frequently. And Chatter.
    Try removing Verichat and see if it stops, I'm curious since I don't use it

Lgreenberg,
    Is a replacement out of the question at this point?
    A lot of people (including myself) have updated to 1.17 with no strange random resets.
    One of my previous phones did not like the last 1.15/1.31 update, and subsequently suffered the same spontaneous random resets while doing nothing (and it didn't have these with the previous FW)
    I've posted in some other thread - I think at times, these updates bring out something in certain phones that causes instability - perhaps bad memory or something in the hardware.
    I really believe 1.17 is much better than 1.15 by far.
    Last edited by mistercoffee1; 12/21/2005 at 03:38 PM.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
  11.    #11  
    Scotty, based on your post I deleted Verichat. I emailed them and they sent me a newer beta. So far no resets (knock on wood).
    The only reason I came up with Verichat/Causerie was due to a notification registered/seen in PalmInternals for Causerie, something like Network Interface on/off...or something like that.

Jeff Gibson said spontaneous resets were typically caused by apps calling the phone subsystem or something to that effect, and it appeared causerie might have been doing this even though I wasn't using it, it wasn't running in the background etc.

Don't know if the applications should register that notification when it's not in use, so maybe that had something to do with it as well. Would be curious if you do the Full Notifications listing using PalmInternals whether Verichat has a similar notification listed.

Just guessing at this point...curious to see if any random resets appear without Verichat installed (or your newer beta)

13.    #13  
    Been 10 hours and no resets except for when I put my SD card in (2 gig). And no loss of Saved Preferences.

I hope its resolved.