Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    This is crazy. Using a GPRS device with a regular dialup ISP will guarantee you download speeds that harken back to the early 90s. Can anyone says 14.4k?
    How much speed do you need for a few emails?

I personally have little interest in browsing the net on a tiny Treo screen.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Did T-Mobile change their proxy setup recently?

About a month ago, I bought two T-Mobile prepaid SIM cards on ebay. At first, I could only get Internet connections through the proxy server -- hence, as several of you have discussed, most ports were blocked.

But a few days ago, there was a very strange change. I can't get to the Internet through the proxy any more -- but now I can connect just fine without the proxy. As far as I can tell, no ports are blocked at all.

I even tried using my Treo as a bluetooth modem for my MacBook, and tried every connection protocol I could think of: http, https, imap, smtp, ssh, sftp, and icmp. They all worked (slowly, of course). In fact, that's how I'm posting this message now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires View Post
    How much speed do you need for a few emails?

I personally have little interest in browsing the net on a tiny Treo screen.
    You need more than 14.4 for email. And even if you don't want to browse the net on a tiny Treo screen, you might want DirectoryAssistant to look up phone numbers, PocketTunes to listen to internet radio, 4Cast for the weather, etc.
    You need more than 14.4 for email. And even if you don't want to browse the net on a tiny Treo screen, you might want DirectoryAssistant to look up phone numbers, PocketTunes to listen to internet radio, 4Cast for the weather, etc.
    You may need more than 14.4 for email---I don't seem to. It depends on what your uses are, and not everyone's are identical to yours. Hell, most of it is spam anyway. It is useful for that reason alone to DL SUBJECTS not MESSAGES and then DL the real messages that you really one thereafter. I don't really have to have every bit of email that I receive at the tip of my fingers every second. Very little of it can't wait. Which is to say, 14.4 works just fine for the uses I (and I think many others) have. If you have to dl 40 emails every hour every day, maybe your answer is understandably different.

It is quite easy to look up phone numbers with Google's text messaging and AvantGo gives me the weather every morning when I sync. I have yet to need to have the weather more than once a day.

I have never streamed music, nor particularly want to, but if that's your thing, yes, you need more speed for that function without question.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Nau View Post

About a month ago, I bought two T-Mobile prepaid SIM cards on ebay. At first, I could only get Internet connections through the proxy server -- hence, as several of you have discussed, most ports were blocked.

But a few days ago, there was a very strange change. I can't get to the Internet through the proxy any more -- but now I can connect just fine without the proxy. As far as I can tell, no ports are blocked at all.

I even tried using my Treo as a bluetooth modem for my MacBook, and tried every connection protocol I could think of: http, https, imap, smtp, ssh, sftp, and icmp. They all worked (slowly, of course). In fact, that's how I'm posting this message now.
    I just got an unlocked (cingular) 650 on ebay and installed my T-Mobile SIM. I am unable to access T-Zones, or any internet. Do you also have a data plan? I used to be able to access T-zones by pressing the center T button on my old Samsung T-mobile phone.

I did set up the proxy to 216.155.165.50 port 8080

I also went to Network preferences for Network. I tried to switch service from "T-Mobile Internet" to "T-Zones", but there is a locked icon, and if I press the edit button I get a pop-up This network service has been pre-installed by your mobile service provider, and cannot be edited."

When I start the web application, I get connecting to T-mobile internet, signing on, then cancelling in quick succession.

I'm thinking about buying access time with budget dial-up. I don't really need web access, though it would be nice to access m.yahoo.com for email if I'm out of town for a few days. I really bought the treo to combine pda functions with my phone.
    Don't press the edit button, as you don't want to edit any of your network settings. You just want to tell your Treo which of the existing settings to use. Near the upper left-hand corner of the screen, click on the "Service" pop-up menu and select T-Zones.

For the proxy, try it both ways (turned on and turned off), to see which works (or works best) for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsluggo View Post
    I just got an unlocked (cingular) 650 on ebay and installed my T-Mobile SIM. I am unable to access T-Zones, or any internet. Do you also have a data plan? I used to be able to access T-zones by pressing the center T button on my old Samsung T-mobile phone.

I did set up the proxy to 216.155.165.50 port 8080

I also went to Network preferences for Network. I tried to switch service from "T-Mobile Internet" to "T-Zones", but there is a locked icon, and if I press the edit button I get a pop-up This network service has been pre-installed by your mobile service provider, and cannot be edited."

When I start the web application, I get connecting to T-mobile internet, signing on, then cancelling in quick succession.

I'm thinking about buying access time with budget dial-up. I don't really need web access, though it would be nice to access m.yahoo.com for email if I'm out of town for a few days. I really bought the treo to combine pda functions with my phone.
    Wow!! It really worked. I took away the proxy, changed to T-zones, and voila, I can get to my email. I really never thought I'd be able to do this without a data plan. Thanks so much.
    Hi, i'm pretty much a newbie at this. After i connect to t-zones via pref->network, how do i access t-zone? Do i need to open a web browser?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Check this out:
    http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase...c/tm21625.htm?
    That is where you can get the info on how to access T-zones.

Setting up the handset

1. On the PDA, press the Home button.

2. Tap to select All from the dropdown list at the top-right of the screen.

3. Tap Prefs.

4. Tap to select Network from the dropdown list at the top-right of the screen.

5. Press the Menu button, and tap to select New from the Service menu.

6. Type T-Zones in the Service field.

7. Tap to select GPRS from the Connection dropdown list.

8. Tap the User Name field.

9. Type and tap OK. Otherwise leave this field blank.

10. Tap the Password field.

11. Type and tap OK. Otherwise leave this field blank.

12. Tap the APN field.

13. Type wap.voicestream.com and tap OK. Otherwise leave this field blank.

14. Press the Home button to return to the main screen.

15. Tap Web.

16. Press the Menu button, and tap to select Preferences from the Options menu.

17. Tap the Home Page field.

18. Type http://wap.t-zones.com and tap OK.

19. Tap Advanced.

20. Tap Set Proxy.

21. Tap to check the Use custom proxy checkbox.

22. Tap the Proxy Server field and type 216.155.165.050.

23. Tap the Port field and type 9201 or Permanent, non-secure.

24. Tap OK two times.

25. Press the Home button to return to the main screen.

The new WAP profile is now configured and ready for use.
    i tried today, without changing any settings. I can access web sites such as yahoo.com and tmobile.com but i don't have a data plan so who's paying? Is there going to be fees?
    Quote Originally Posted by zackwz View Post
    i tried today, without changing any settings. I can access web sites such as yahoo.com and tmobile.com but i don't have a data plan so who's paying? Is there going to be fees?
    I don't know. I kept checking my balance to make sure I wasn't using up minutes or $. I guess the worst that could happen is that they figure things out and deduct from my balance. Since I haven't signed up for any contracts, I can't imagine they'd hit me up for monthly charges.

I'm guessing this is temorary loophole, and the access may get shut off at any time. I've only used it to try out a few things.
    Sorry if it looks I'm double posting. I actually moved this post from the thread I started on T-Mobile Weirdness. I realized I should have put it here to begin with.

So, I got my new 650 and am all set to get email and check out the web on the bright little screen, thanks to this thread. But when I try to connect to T-Zones it keeps canceling. Well, I figure I'll have to use dial up like I used to do with the 180. That doesn't work either. Plus it gives me a message about GPRS not being available, which doesn't make sense to me.

There's a T-Mobile store nearby, and I stopped in. They were no help but gave me a number to call for data support. I talked to a very nice Southern lady, very nice but no help at all. She told me T-Zones was not available on my account, and I would have to buy a data plan.

I thought that was crazy. My son has a cheap T-Mobile To Go phone that connects to T-Zones. And so I put his SIM card into the Treo, and voila, it connected to T-Zones, of course. Then I swapped the cards again, and now I can connect with my card in. What happened? Did T-Mobile change something? Did using the other card change something? Well, I'm just glad to be able to connect.

Except . . . I still can't use the dial up, and it gives me the same message. Any thoughts on how I can get dial up to work? I'll need it if T-Mobile cuts me off from T-Zones again.
    Last edited by Skeptrix; 02/14/2007 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Explanation for moving post
    Quote Originally Posted by SoTacMatt View Post
    Check this out:
    http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase...c/tm21625.htm?
    That is where you can get the info on how to access T-zones.

Setting up the handset

1. On the PDA, press the Home button.

2. Tap to select All from the dropdown list at the top-right of the screen.

3. Tap Prefs.

4. Tap to select Network from the dropdown list at the top-right of the screen.

5. Press the Menu button, and tap to select New from the Service menu.

6. Type T-Zones in the Service field.

7. Tap to select GPRS from the Connection dropdown list.

8. Tap the User Name field.

9. Type and tap OK. Otherwise leave this field blank.

10. Tap the Password field.

11. Type and tap OK. Otherwise leave this field blank.

12. Tap the APN field.

13. Type wap.voicestream.com and tap OK. Otherwise leave this field blank.

14. Press the Home button to return to the main screen.

15. Tap Web.

16. Press the Menu button, and tap to select Preferences from the Options menu.

17. Tap the Home Page field.

18. Type http://wap.t-zones.com and tap OK.

19. Tap Advanced.

20. Tap Set Proxy.

21. Tap to check the Use custom proxy checkbox.

22. Tap the Proxy Server field and type 216.155.165.050.

23. Tap the Port field and type 9201 or Permanent, non-secure.

24. Tap OK two times.

25. Press the Home button to return to the main screen.

The new WAP profile is now configured and ready for use.
    This information is inapplicable to someone who wants to connect via T-MobileWeb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrix View Post
    Sorry if it looks I'm double posting. I actually moved this post from the thread I started on T-Mobile Weirdness. I realized I should have put it here to begin with.

So, I got my new 650 and am all set to get email and check out the web on the bright little screen, thanks to this thread. But when I try to connect to T-Zones it keeps canceling. Well, I figure I'll have to use dial up like I used to do with the 180. That doesn't work either. Plus it gives me a message about GPRS not being available, which doesn't make sense to me.

There's a T-Mobile store nearby, and I stopped in. They were no help but gave me a number to call for data support. I talked to a very nice Southern lady, very nice but no help at all. She told me T-Zones was not available on my account, and I would have to buy a data plan.

I thought that was crazy. My son has a cheap T-Mobile To Go phone that connects to T-Zones. And so I put his SIM card into the Treo, and voila, it connected to T-Zones, of course. Then I swapped the cards again, and now I can connect with my card in. What happened? Did T-Mobile change something? Did using the other card change something? Well, I'm just glad to be able to connect.

Except . . . I still can't use the dial up, and it gives me the same message. Any thoughts on how I can get dial up to work? I'll need it if T-Mobile cuts me off from T-Zones again.
    I guess that your son's SIM loaded settings that you needed to be able to connect via T-MobileWeb (T-Zones is a web site that allows one to download ringtones and other stuff for a fee). Not sure what you mean by "dialup." If you mean that you want to use your Treo as a data modem with your computer, that should just work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Nau View Post

So one can get a data connection using prepaid SIM cards? Via T-MobileWeb? With no fees whatsoever?
    Not sure what you mean by "dialup." If you mean that you want to use your Treo as a data modem with your computer, that should just work.
    I meant dialing up the ISP like what was being discussed at the top of the page. I haven't tried DUN yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrix View Post
    I meant dialing up the ISP like what was being discussed at the top of the page. I haven't tried DUN yet.
    Good luck with that!
    Has anyone managed to get streaming working over port 80? http://kut1.streamguys.net:80 worked for a while, but stopped working.
    I haven't been able to get email or Web pages since Thursday morning. Treo shows it's connected but won't do anything else. I've had this problem before, but it never lasted this long.

Anything I should try? Are there preferences files I should trash?

I'm going on a trip Tuesday, and I'll be soooo bummed if it's not working by then. My laptop doesn't have a wireless card, so, when I'm on the go, the Treo is what keeps me connected.
    I was desperate to be able to get my email and use the Web, so I tried configuring the proxy as detailed on the first page of this thread (I think it's the first page). So, I end up at a T-Mobile site asking if I want to sign up for T-Mobile Web for $5.99. I do that and am then able to surf the Web. But I can't get my email. I go to Network and change to T-Zones (I had been using T-Zones 2 which I configured as instructed by another post in this thread). Then I reconnect and decide to go to Blazer and remove the proxy and see what happens. I can still surf the Web, and now I can get email too.

I don't even know if I need the T-mobile Web plan. Everything was working fine until Thursday afternoon, then poof!, nothing is available. Oh, well, $6 is not a huge amount of money, and I guess I'll keep the plan at least until the end of the month.

I'm curious if anyone else has had their free access cut off.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast