Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    eventually I will lose my hair and girlfriend too...

T-mobile can't close the ports to tmobilweb users.... that is how they get stock info, email, etc... And EDGE can't be turned off. Yes, the ports were closed in the past, why would they open them back up? Also, tmobileweb is "officially" not availble to smartphone user. Why? because it's the same thing as the internet package, which is priced for higher data use.

Cingular used to charge more for edge, until users figured out everyone was getting it. T-moble can interrupt streams, but I don't think it's worth the effort.

As for t-zones, it's free... what do you expect? Did I mention I can stream again!

You guys should really look into getting your Treo's set up right. Search t-mobile and you should be able to find the correct configurations.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Man does T-Mobile make things difficult or what? I would love to get on that T-MobileWeb plan. I'm currently on that old t-zones $4.99 plan and get frustrated when apps don't have proxy support.

SO, it seems that going from the Unlimited plan to T-MobileWeb plan has worked for a lot of you, but what if you're going from t-zones (old school) to T-MobileWeb? I'm wondering if cancelling t-zones and then signing up for T-MobileWeb would work, enabling me to access the Web without proxy, and, just as importantly to me, use Internet-connected apps that don't have proxy support.

Worth the risk? I guess it would only cost an extra $1 per month either way you slice it - a bargain if it works because proxy-limited frustration would be over with (at least for a little until they figure things out), but even if it didn't work $12 a year wouldn't hurt me too much.

Thinking about it further and answering my own hopeful question, that might not work after all because it's having that Unlimited Plan in the first place that associates your SIM with certain network settings that don't get removed if you "downgrade" from Unlimited to T-MobileWeb.

Frustrations to be continued, I guess...

nino,

Drop t-zones from your plan, it is now free. T-mobile will keep charging you as long as you pay. Log into your account on-line and remove it.

I bet later you will not be able to purchase it.... You should see no difference in service. After a couple of days, try signing up to tmobileweb to see if there is a difference.

I don't think you have anything to lose if you try it...
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Drop t-zones from your plan, it is now free. T-mobile will keep charging you as long as you pay. Log into your account on-line and remove it.
    You don't understand. T-zones is really a space on the mobile web from which you download ringtones ... No one is billed for it, neither earlier T-Zones subscribers nor current T-Mobileweb ones. The bottom line: it isn't a current plan or service.

People who are paying $4.99/month for T-Zones are simply being grandfathered under the old system where T-Zones was an internet service for mobile phones ... As you know, it is now called Tmobileweb and costs $5.99.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    SO, it seems that going from the Unlimited plan to T-MobileWeb plan has worked for a lot of you, but what if you're going from t-zones (old school) to T-MobileWeb? I'm wondering if cancelling t-zones and then signing up for T-MobileWeb would work, enabling me to access the Web without proxy, and, just as importantly to me, use Internet-connected apps that don't have proxy support.
    DON'T DO IT. I unsubscribed from T-Zones for $4.99, and when I wanted to subscribe again, it had changed its name to Tmobileweb, and was priced at $5.99/month. It's *exactly* the same, with the same limitations.

The current hypothesis is that if you want to access the web without proxy or listening to radio streams, you might try signing up for T-Mobile Internet ($20/month), and then cancel after a while and sign up for T-Mobile Web ($5.99/month; T-Zones at $4.99 is no longer available). There appear to be a configuration glitch that doesn't impose the usual T-Zones/T-Mobile web limitations, but don't worry, T-Mobile will eventually fix it
    nino,

according to http://www.t-tones.com
    "Extend your fun, Express your personality Browsing is FREE"

T-zones is a service and it is free. So, it's a site... does that mean it is not a service? You used to have to pay to access all this stuff, and nino, you are still paying.

"What is the difference between t-zones(SM) and T-MobileWeb?

t-zones is where you go to buy ringtones, wallpapers, or games to personalize your phone. It is free to visit t-zones with no data or airtime charges.

T-MobileWeb gives access to more detailed information such as e-mail, news, movies, weather, stocks and more! T-MobileWeb charges a Monthly Access Fee."

I bet your Proxy setup will work for free. IF tmobileweb does not work for you, take the free route.... and like you said, its just $12
    Just to add to the confusion...

I spoke with a family member that works for T-Mobile and here is the scoop:

What used to be T-Zones is now T-MobileWeb. If you had T-Zones (such as I did), your service was "grandfathered" at the original price of $4.99. Nothing has changed but the name (and the price if you are a new subscriber). So if you had T-Zones, don't cancel or else you'll pay a dollar more for the same service.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiengineer
    What used to be T-Zones is now T-MobileWeb. If you had T-Zones (such as I did), your service was "grandfathered" at the original price of $4.99. Nothing has changed but the name (and the price if you are a new subscriber). So if you had T-Zones, don't cancel or else you'll pay a dollar more for the same service.
    This is what I have been saying all along.
    Last edited by odysseus; 01/07/2006 at 01:48 PM.
    T-zones is a service and it is free. So, it's a site... does that mean it is not a service?
    What I mean is that if you're not *paying* for some sort of internet access through T-Mobile (for either what is currently called "Tmobileweb" or T-Mobile Internet), all you'll be able to access is the T-zones site where you can "buy ringtones, wallpapers, or games to personalize your phone."
    Last edited by odysseus; 01/07/2006 at 01:51 PM.
    odysseus,

what was/is t-zones? I think if you can access everythig on the t-zones site, you can access a proxy to get web stuff. So web access via a proxy should be free... yes or no?

I am totally trying to help, not trying to add to the confusion... I am starting to have problems ever since I switched to tmobileweb, but after a "routine", I can get what I want.

email, web and chat is not a problem, but I do have to reset and touch the network via blazer to stream....
    what was/is t-zones? I think if you can access everythig on the t-zones site, you can access a proxy to get web stuff. So web access via a proxy should be free... yes or no?
    No. And you're not helping.
    so, I have a treo 600 and all I want to do is buy some ringtones once in awhile and check email. what plan if any do I get?
    Some of you who have T-Mobile, please answer this for me:

I currently have Cingular. Of course I can do text messages, sms, browse the web with Blazer and Opera Mini, etc. I'm thinking about changing to T-Mobile. If I go with the "T-Mobileweb" thing, will I lose any functionality? I like the price, and I'm scared that Cingular will make me pay $50 a month in the future for unlimited data (I currently have $20 a month MediaNet).

Does everything work with T-MobileWeb? Will I need to change to ROW software/firmware?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller

I currently have Cingular. Of course I can do text messages, sms, browse the web with Blazer and Opera Mini, etc. I'm thinking about changing to T-Mobile. If I go with the "T-Mobileweb" thing, will I lose any functionality? I like the price, and I'm scared that Cingular will make me pay $50 a month in the future for unlimited data (I currently have $20 a month MediaNet).

Does everything work with T-MobileWeb? Will I need to change to ROW software/firmware?
    You'll need to unlock your T650 to be able to use a T-Mobile SIM. There are varying opinions about which plan you need to be able to access certain web sites (secure vs. non-secure). After reading many threads where these opinions have been stated it appears to me that your location will have somewhat of an impact on which plan you have to have. I have the $19.99 unlimited internet plan (non-VPN) and have no problem accessing any site.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    This logic is apparently working for me. I cancelled the t-zones service on Friday and can still browse the Web via proxy settings. I can also still get to my POP email without issue since cancelling.

My actual plan in cancelling t-zones was to sign up for the unlimited plan and then downgrade to T-MobileWeb, hoping that I could still access everything I want via T-MobileWeb without the need for proxy settings (as some of you have been lucky enough to experience).

But like nonobeez mentioned, if they grant you free access to the Web to get to the t-zones site, you can still get to the rest of the Web by using proxy settings. At least it's working for me - not recommending that you try this because it's not foolproof, but as mentioned above I did have a different motive in mind, and still getting Internet access with the proxy settings has been a nice little bonus.

We'll see how long this lasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller

I have the $5 plan. SMS is not included in unlimited data. By text messages do you mean IM? If so, Verichat works. Blazer works with proxy setting. I understand Opera Mini should also work if proxy is set in Java. Streaming audio (Shoutcast/PTune) and streaming video (MobiTV) may not work. Versamail works with its querkyness. In general emails work.

I never had cingular software/firmware but I understand that others have moved from Cingular to T-Mobile without changing to ROW software/firmware.

T-Mobile's data plans are not attached to the annual contract. You can add or take them off as and when you like. Give the cheap plan a shot if it does not work for you take it off and go for the $20 unlimited data. In my experiance, it took T-Mobile 3 days to turn the plan on. So you may need to wait a few days before the data connection starts/ stops working.

Hope that helps.
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    nino,

You are a very brave man!!! I am glad it is working for you. I will not work forever (what does?), but it can only get better... data rates are droping.

I would bet double or nothing you get streaming media and proxyless surfing if you move up to tmobileweb, which by the way is not availble to smartphone users. Just change your phone type under preferences and watch the option magically apprear.

And someone else deserves the credit for pointing out that the web via a proxy was free. I seen the info on page 3 and understood the logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    Right, but did you SWITCH from T-Mobile Internet to T-Zones?
    Sorry for the late answer Odysseus.
    I never had T-Mobile Internet.... only t-zones.
    T-zones is free... check it at http://www.t-zones.com

I understand what you mean but if you go to http://www.t-zones.com and then click on the Web&Applications tab, you end up on a page where you are invited to add T-MobileWeb to your account ($5.99).

Very Confusing.

Ninodelsol,
    You are brave and very lucky. Hope it stays that way for you.

I have t-zones @ 4.99 (grandfathered) and I am keeping it

To resume for some coming from Cingular, etc... the $20 T-Mobile Internet Plan is NOT needed for basic browsing. Get T-MobileWeb @ 5.99, you should be fine.

Cheers,

brightcell
    I wasn't ever able to get pocket tunes stream yet. what configurations do I need to tweak ?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast