1.    #1  
    I don't believe that she's prone to seizures, but the frequent resets with the concommitant bright screen flash...I just don't know. I don't want her to get hurt.
    Also, she's used to a basic cell phone, one that simply works. How do I help her get acclimated to having a phone that locks-up in the middle of a call and then have to call the other party back and explain that she head to reboot her phone...and then have the phone lock-up again?

Your thoughts and suggestions are most welcome in this sure to be troubling time for my wife and, I fear, my marriage as she will assuredly blame it on me that she can no longer use a cell phone that simply works.
    It sounds like you knew the 650 would have problems prior to buying it...so why did you get it for her?

(IMO, the 650 is pretty stable now so I wouldn't assume it will cause her seizures.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Asystole
    I don't believe that she's prone to seizures, but the frequent resets with the concommitant bright screen flash...I just don't know. I don't want her to get hurt.
    Also, she's used to a basic cell phone, one that simply works. How do I help her get acclimated to having a phone that locks-up in the middle of a call and then have to call the other party back and explain that she head to reboot her phone...and then have the phone lock-up again?

Your thoughts and suggestions are most welcome in this sure to be troubling time for my wife and, I fear, my marriage as she will assuredly blame it on me that she can no longer use a cell phone that simply works.
    I just got one for my wife. She has not had a single reset. She is not technically inclined so I had some reservations. You get more out of the phone the less you put into it. Meaning fewer third party apps fewer resets in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asystole

Stay away from 3rd party software. I think the Treo comes with enough basic software for the technically non-adventerous types.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Agreed. I have several non-technical friends who use their treos with only stock software and they are quite happy and (as far as I know) reset free.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Mine is ROCK solid over a year now. Only when BT is on do I have resets or lock-ups. the new SEIDO replacement back with reset hole works great.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    In the great words of the Monty Python crew from the movie Holy Grail......
    "Run awaaaay, Run awaaaaay......!"
    Does your wife want a Treo or, do YOU want her to have one? If she wants one, for the most part, they are working great with very few resets.
    I'm with the other posters, I put a few very basic programs on my wife's Treo and hers has only reset on her once; a dbcache issue I'm sure. She has Splash Shopper, a Yatzee game, a few other small programs. And I think the only 'resident' programs she has is PowerOn and Butler.

She just takes pictures, sends sms/mms, and talks on her phone though. No browsing, no email, etc..
    I am a basically non-tech female using a Treo 650 (had a Treo 600 for 2 years) and I had an "Treo adjustment" month or two when I originally migrated from my simple and easy to use Nokia cellphone. During that time, I went from complete confusion and frustration with the Treo to "Treo love", where I currently reside and could never see going back to a simple cellphone again. A few simple to use add on applications for your wife, to make her love her Treo, would probably help to make the random reset hell seem less like hell, and more like a misbehaving child that you love, but can live with the tantrums....
    I added Docs to Go, ebooks, BugMe,mVoice, SplashID, OnTimeRx, Solitaire, Bombel, BackupBuddy (for when there"s total failure), Directory Assistant,
    Quick Tip....
    Hope she loves her gift!