1.    #1  
    It seems that my phone calls go directly to voice mail sometimes.

Could it be because I have my AOL IMAP set up in Chatter (always connected) and that uses the data connection occasionally not allowing calls to get in?

Would there be a way to minimize this somehow?

Thanks!
    Yes, ANY application using data will do this on a CDMA phone (Sprint/Verizon). You can minimize this by using "Efficient Sync" (in the System prefs in Chatter) or by placing mailboxes offline (timed sync). There's NO way to avoid it, whether it's Chatter or Blazer or whatever.

Marc
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    If I use the Efficient Sync will I still get a "push email" via AOL or will it only happen at certain intervals, I didn't have this issue with my GSM 650 so I am a little confused now that I have a 650 from VZW
    Don't be confused...it's just different technology. On GSM phones, the data connections don't stay active the way a CDMA phone does, therefore, an incoming call will interrupt a GSM data connection and you won't get as many voicemail issues.

On CDMA, if your data connection is active, all calls are immediately routed to voicemail. I'ts a function of the technology, nothing Marc can do anything about. And yes, you should still receive push email just fine using efficient sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    ...If I use the Efficient Sync will I still get a "push email" via AOL or will it only happen at certain intervals...
    You will still get your AOL mail pushed out to you. I use this very setting on my Sprint Treo 650 with my AOL mail, works just fine.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    Don't be confused...it's just different technology. On GSM phones, the data connections don't stay active the way a CDMA phone does, therefore, an incoming call will interrupt a GSM data connection and you won't get as many voicemail issues.

On CDMA, if your data connection is active, all calls are immediately routed to voicemail. I'ts a function of the technology, nothing Marc can do anything about. And yes, you should still receive push email just fine using efficient sync.
    It's a myth that a voice call will interrupt a data stream on the GSM Treo 650. You can prove this to yourself by calling your GSM Treo 650 while streaming audio with Shoutcast or some other similar application -- the call will go to voicemail every time. Likewise if you call during download of a large file (in both cases this is true unless there is an interruption on the server side).

What is true is that EDGE and GPRS drop the active connection much more quickly than CDMA 1xRTT does (don't know about EVDO -- hope it's better). Hence, when you are browsing or getting e-mail on the GSM Treo 650, during the brief pauses where data is not actually being transferred, a voice call will come through and appear to interrupt the data stream. With CDMA 1xRTT, the delay in dropping the active connection seems to be around 10 seconds or so, meaning that most of these pauses are not long enough to allow a voice call to come through. Hence, the Sprint and Verizon Treo 650's will send more calls to voicemail.

From my experience, in practice it makes a huge difference for someone who uses data a lot (whether surfing, e-mail, or other uses). For such users, there is a pretty dramatic difference regarding how many fewer calls go directly to voicemail with GSM vs. CDMA. I am a long-suffering Sprint user, and this issue has ocassionally made me want to switch to Cingular for my main account. I'm hoping that EVDO at least won't be any worse (assuming there's eventually a Treo 700P offered by Sprint that does EVDO).

Best of luck with the Treo 650! Even with its annoyances, it is a wonderful device and make all kinds of things possible that I used to only dream of being able to do without a connected laptop.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiscarmack
    It's a myth that a voice call will interrupt a data stream on the GSM Treo 650. You can prove this to yourself by calling your GSM Treo 650 while streaming audio with Shoutcast or some other similar application -- the call will go to voicemail every time. Likewise if you call during download of a large file (in both cases this is true unless there is an interruption on the server side).

What is true is that EDGE and GPRS drop the active connection much more quickly than CDMA 1xRTT does (don't know about EVDO -- hope it's better). Hence, when you are browsing or getting e-mail on the GSM Treo 650, during the brief pauses where data is not actually being transferred, a voice call will come through and appear to interrupt the data stream. With CDMA 1xRTT, the delay in dropping the active connection seems to be around 10 seconds or so, meaning that most of these pauses are not long enough to allow a voice call to come through. Hence, the Sprint and Verizon Treo 650's will send more calls to voicemail.

From my experience, in practice it makes a huge difference for someone who uses data a lot (whether surfing, e-mail, or other uses). For such users, there is a pretty dramatic difference regarding how many fewer calls go directly to voicemail with GSM vs. CDMA. I am a long-suffering Sprint user, and this issue has ocassionally made me want to switch to Cingular for my main account. I'm hoping that EVDO at least won't be any worse (assuming there's eventually a Treo 700P offered by Sprint that does EVDO).

Best of luck with the Treo 650! Even with its annoyances, it is a wonderful device and make all kinds of things possible that I used to only dream of being able to do without a connected laptop.

In theory a 700P using an active EVDO connection with Sprint would cure this problem 100% as the fone will have 2 radios. The data stream that Chatter will use would be through the EVDO radio, and voice call will come over the CDMA radio. Thus so long as you have an active EVDO signal, you should neve miss a call to voicemail. However if you are out of EVDO coverage and only receiving 1xRTT data coverage, then you will have the same issues of calls being blocked by an active data connection. I am an active Chatter user with a Sprint T650 and I use efficient sync to mitigate lost calls and it works fairly well. However, I still lose 10% - 25% of my calls to voicemail depending on how good the signal quality is. I find that with a stronger signal the active data connections are left open for shorter periods of time, thus allowing more calls through.

BTW, Verizon Treo users have this problem worse than anyone else as Verizon's 1xRTT network actually pings the treo approximately 40% of the time a data connection is open, even if it is a dormant (grey arrow) data connection. This of course turns the data connection active (green arrow) and blocks calls to voicemail. The best solution for 100% avoiding calls going to voicemail is to use Chatter offline with timed syncs. But if you need push email you're going to have to suffer losing calls to vm with a VZW T650.

I cannot wait for the Sprint EVDO 700P, primarily to avoid the lost calls problem.
    I think there will be Palm phones coming soon with EVDO.

Marc
  9.    #9  
    I went back to the Europe (?) IMAP server at AOL and it seems much better. I was getting many more problems with just imap.aol.com