Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Hi gang,

Need a little help. I would love to clean up my Treo. I heard that it is a good idea to erase everything and install all the programs you want one by one starting with a good install/uninstall program. I would really like to do this but I don't know where to begin . I don't want to lose all my contacts. So could someone give me the basic breakdown on how I go about doing this? Is there or folder I need to copy first? Also, I'd like to clean out my 1 gig card. It has a bunch of programs on it...

Please help..

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!
    First thing I would recommend is a backup to SD card software if you don't have it already. Then you have everything.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

1. locate the folder on your PC that has your backup files. It will typically be

C:\Program Files\palmOne\<your hotsync id>\Backup

Move all the files to a different directory (backup of backup!). The backup directory will now be empty. Your Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, Memos are stored in other directories and are safe.

2. Perform a hard reset. This will erase EVERYTHING on your Treo, including it's Hotsync ID.

3. Perform a Hotsync. You will be asked to either assign a new ID to the Treo, or select one of the existing ID's stored in your PC. Important: Select the ID you have been using previously.

The Hotsync process will copy your PIM (Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, Memos) back to your Treo, but will not copy anything else (you emptied the Backup directory, remember?)

4. Install a good uninstall program. Uninstall Manager has been around for a while:

http://www.northglide.com/products.h...nstall_Manager

or you could try a new program called RemoveIt

http://www.bluenomad.com/ri/prod_removeit_details.html

5. Reinstall your applications. You'll need your registration codes. These are linked to the Hotsync ID and should work, as you picked your old Hotsync ID in Step 3 above.

Good Luck!! And invest in a backup-to-SD card software like Resco Backup.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Aprasad,

Thank you for your basic instructions!! My Treo is great now. Got rid of alot of junk I didn't need, I have all the good stuff I need and it works wonderfully...

I think everyone should do this at least once a year just as maintenance...

Thanks again!!

KAOS
    Quote Originally Posted by KAOSWLF
    I think everyone should do this at least once a year just as maintenance...
    Amen. Once a year might not even be enough depending on your third-party software usage.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    Amen. Once a year might not even be enough depending on your third-party software usage.
    Yep, I do it twice a year with my 650 and home computers. Not only it keeps them clean, but, it keeps me on my toes.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi