1.    #1  
    Say I am on the road, get a reset that nukes the preferences files. I have a memo with all my registration codes, but my Treo has no ID assigned to it.

How do I assign a Hotsync ID without having access to the PC and hotsyncing? Without this ID, my registration codes are useless..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Do you back up to an SD card? Restoring from the card would solve that problem.
  3.    #3  
    Actually, I cheated a bit. I wanted to delete and recreate my preferences files (re-entering my registration data in the process).

So, after I deleted the 2 preference files, my Treo had no ID. Iwas wondering how to assign one without Hotsyncing.

There must be some way of doing this ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I would think only if you hard reset you would lose your hotsync ID? Maybe not, never tried it.

In any event, MultiUserHack should work.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    There is also a program called Change Name.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I would think only if you hard reset you would lose your hotsync ID? Maybe not, never tried it.

In any event, MultiUserHack should work.
    If you delete SavedPreferences and UnsavedPreferences (using FileZ), you'll lose the ID.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  7.    #7  
    Interesting ..
    http://www.mulliner.org/palm/changename.php
    lets you assign a PalmOS UserName (the HotSyncName) and the UserID.

What's UserID? Never heard of this thing ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    If I remember right it is a number 4 digits long that in combination with the hotsync ID is how the desktop hotsync identifies the palm. It will be important to view the number and record it somewhere to make it match before you hotsync again.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

9.    #9  
    Even PalmOne recommends using ChangeName !!

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(24485)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  10.    #10  
    Found this in the documentation:

The UserName is the name of your PalmOS device (upper right corner in HotSync
    screen). This identifies your PalmOS device. Most shareware programms use this
    to generate a registration code.

The UserID is a number from 256 to 65535 (Word) this is also to identify your
    PalmOS device. The PalmDesktop (Win/Mac) uses this number to identify your
    PalmOS device while syncing. The UserID is the actual criteria for identifing
    the device not the UserName. As far as I know the UserID is just a random number
    chosen by the PalmDesktop software at the first HotSync. The numbers from 0 to
    255 are special 0 means no ID present, 1 to 255 are profiles.

If you just change the UserName and sync, the PalmDesktop will reset the
    UserName to the old value (he identifies the device using the UserID).
    So if you want to sync with a different user you have to change both the
    UserName and the UserID. If that UserID is new to the PalmDesktop you will be
    asked if a new user should be created by the PalmDesktop. This also happens if
    the UserID actualy is a profile ID (1-255) then a new profile will be created.
    If the UserID is 0 (no UserID set) you have to select or create a user. After the
    sync the device will be reseted (soft reset).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Now that I've moved to a Treo 650, I use ChangeName (with a nominal id of 257) to assign the same user id to my old T3 -- lack of NVFS means you have to do this anytime you've left the device off the cradle for a while.

Works like a charm.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    If you start up ChangeName after a typical HotSync it should display what your assigned UserID value it.

ERic