1.    #1  
    Palm Treo 650 Running Linux...Unofficially

Well it is about time for Linux to be slammed onto another device. The Treo 650 has been officially hacked to run Linux but what you can do with it is rather limited at this point. While the GSM radio works you can only use it by sending commands. Amazingly, Linux is booted from RAM and nothing is written to the ROM of the phone. The next step for the developer is to write a keyboard driver.

DanDan
    actually that was done awhile ago. the keyboard driver has been working for several days, and a complete keyboard map available yesterday. Last night we got X up for the first time, although the touchscreen is still not up (controlled via the ac97 audio driver).
    Awesome. Can't wait.
    Wow.. I figured they'd be hacking around getting the low level stuff working before getting X up and running.

I know it'll be a long time before replacing even the basic functionality of the POS on the Treo 650, but keyboard, touchscreen, X, and misc programs running.. that'll be fun to mess with.

Good going guys!
    I have been reading that they have been working on being able to get the Treo to boot the root file system off of an SD card. Not knowing that much about Linux boot sequences, does anybody(Shadowmite?) know if this means that there is a possibility of a dual boot Treo?
    Yes, that is exactly what we are pursuing, although it WILL require 1 of two things.

1) A custom rom which will check for some key at boot
    2) Garux bootloader to launch the kernel from within palmos.

We are leaning toward the first option at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Wow.. I figured they'd be hacking around getting the low level stuff working before getting X up and running.

I know it'll be a long time before replacing even the basic functionality of the POS on the Treo 650, but keyboard, touchscreen, X, and misc programs running.. that'll be fun to mess with.

Good going guys!
    It wouldn't be as long as you would think, check out OPIE or even GTK2+ for Familiar Linux (IPAQ Linux). Assuming the phone application worked (or a variant of it) I would rather quickly replace the various applications I've installed with a plethora of open-source (and likely more powerful/robust) such as SSH (hell, even SHFS/SSHFS with FUSE) as well as full featured applications like Opera, etc.

See http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/vi...albumName=ipaq for some screenshots of OPIE on an IPAQ. I used to run Familiar Linux on my IPAQ 3635 with OPIE as the WM.
    Last edited by cesium1024; 12/20/2005 at 08:37 PM.
    Yea, once linux is up and running, I doubt it will take long to find replacements for most of the treos applications. The phone apps have already been written and will probably just need to be tweaked a bit in order to run on the treo.

Within a short time, it's likely that you will have multiple choices in phone apps!

This is very exciting!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Hey guys, excuse my Linux ignorance, but outside of the "wow" factor, what will a Linux enabled Treo be able to do that a Palm enabled device wouldnt?

What is the big deal about Linux anyway?
    ~Steve
    Get @ me
    Multi tasking OS without alot of memory overhead requirements?

A guess on my part.

Cheers, Perry.
    1. It has the potential to add a great deal of stability to Palm operation [although I read somewhere that for now Linux on Treo disables the Memory Management Unit, which might be counterproductive with regard to stability]
    2. It opens the door to other possibilities, such as Bluetooth 1.2 (if it turns out that the onboard Bluetooth chip inherently supports BT 1.2, which is highly debatable) and stable SD Wifi card access. This sort of capabilities may or may not work, but at least the 3rd-party developers could work in an environment which is much better-understood and less of a "hack."
    3.Many Linux applications such as better web browsers (and maybe even Skype!?) can be readily ported to the platform. You must keep in mind that it's relatively difficult to write software directly for the Palm.
  12. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Multi tasking OS without alot of memory overhead requirements?
    Multitasking yes. Memory overhead probably no. PalmOS is pretty well optimized for that. Yes, the carriers add bloatware but it's not Palm's doing.

Still, I never underestimate the power of Linux. It's actually not the OS, it's the world full of clever brains using it and contributing to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmt
    Multitasking yes. Memory overhead probably no. PalmOS is pretty well optimized for that. Yes, the carriers add bloatware but it's not Palm's doing.
    I suspect the memory management comment is more about people's lack of faith in POS' memory model and less about it's efficiency.
    If you read carefully Perry is making one statement not two. He is saying that Linux may provide a multi-tasking environment without a huge memory overhead penalty. WM5 multi-tasks but uses a huge amount of memory. Palm Cobalt is supposed to multi-task but where is it? The Linux kernal is pretty compact and you can write whatever you need and only what you need around it.