1.    #1  
    I'm looking into using my Treo650 as a mobile modem for connecting my laptop to the web when traveling. Without having to completely start from scratch, has anyone out there done the same? Plusses/minuses to consider? What software is required, or seems to work best?

I'm a novice at this stuff, so appreciate any insight and help anyone can provide.

Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by gwott3
    I'm looking into using my Treo650 as a mobile modem for connecting my laptop to the web when traveling. Without having to completely start from scratch, has anyone out there done the same? Plusses/minuses to consider? What software is required, or seems to work best?

I'm a novice at this stuff, so appreciate any insight and help anyone can provide.

Thx
    Search the forums for "dial up networking" or "DUN" and you'll find a plethora of threads on this topic.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    You should search the previous threads as suggested, but to get you going, first you need a data plan with your carrier. I used Sprint's $15/mos unlimited plan myself, which works very well for me.

No special software is needed. My laptop has Bluetooth so I pair the Treo with my laptop and select the Dial-up networking service which will be offered by the Treo. There are one or two screens to go through to set some options, but then that's it. You laptop will now access the internet through the Treo's data plan. Surfing, email, etc... all appear normal. It's noticeably slower than broadband, but acceptable. The only downside is that it's not possible to recieve calls on the Treo while the Dial-up network connection is active.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    I use PDAnet from June Fabrics. It works great. I'm on Verizon and have the data plan as well.
  5. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Lots of people do this. As jmill said, search for DUN, and probably also bluetooth or BT. There are a number of walkthroughs available, either in forum threads or links to them in the threads, so you should find whatever you need to know for your carrier and operating system.

The speed is theoretically better than dial-up, of course it depends on your reception at the moment. Normally I find it at least as good. Sometimes my connection will spontaneously disconnect after a few minutes or less, and other times I can surf for an hour or more on one connection without any problems. Most of the time it works fine.

I wouldn't get it to replace a normal internet connection, but when traveling or working in a place without a phone line or network connection, it's fantastic. Also, my broadband occasionally goes down, and since I don't have a landline, my Treo has been essential in keeping me connected when I otherwise wouldn't be able to get anything done without internet access.